Star Tours 2...what happened?

Enigma

Account Suspended
it'll happen, just give it a few years.

LOL most of us have been waiting for this since 1999 when it was first hinted at by Disney and rumored on the still-young internet. It was one of the earliest disney rumors to make its way on the net too. We've already given it a few years :shrug:

Fun2BFree

Can't wait till Jar-Jar Binks makes it into the ride...

Oh! Moie Moie, dissin me first time a flying dis ting...my don't know, but wassa dis ah doin?

I turn to religion in this time of excruciating horror. I pray, please do not make this happen. If you are merciful, please save everyone from a fate worse than death. :lookaroun

Scar Junior

Just a few months ago there seemed to be increasingly concrete details regarding a new Star Tours with HD video, multiple screens, new ride simulators, etc. Then it just died off. Seems like every rumor of a major refurb goes dark just after things kick up. Any word if this is still on track? Might we get an announcement soon regarding this and Space Mountain, among other things? Disney needs to throw us a bone here. DL fans are living it up over there with their 1 billion dollar overhaul, and we are sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting for something...anything big to look forward to.

Why does Disney need to throw us a bone? I don't know about you, but my life is minimally affected by hearing about some Sci-Fi ride rehab. Regardless of whether it is tomorrow or a year from tomorrow... the topic will still be discussed here and across the web just as it has since I first visited wdwmagic (7+ years ago). Let them do their thing. Sure it's fun to shake your Christmas present before you get it... but that doesn't make the gift any better. Would your Christmas be better if Santa gave you hints about your gifts months in advance?

Reports are that Disney is pretty mighty peeved that Mice age and other Websites have been leaking the news about Disney theme parks, I hear that they are going to be ramping up the security levels quite a bit so it will be harder for rumors to make it out.

I can't help but smile when I when I read that. Irony is fun!

Dayma

Why does Disney need to throw us a bone? I don't know about you, but my life is minimally affected by hearing about some Sci-Fi ride rehab. Regardless of whether it is tomorrow or a year from tomorrow... the topic will still be discussed here and across the web just as it has since I first visited wdwmagic (7+ years ago). Let them do their thing. Sure it's fun to shake your Christmas present before you get it... but that doesn't make the gift any better. Would your Christmas be better if Santa gave you hints about your gifts months in advance?

I can't help but smile when I when I read that. Irony is fun!

What's wrong with "teasing" people? Production companies do it for Movies all the time. I agree with you that Disney does not need to "throw us a bone" as most people do not know the rumors at Disney nor care like us on this site. It would still be nice to get a little something though :)

paul436

Reports are that Disney is pretty mighty peeved that Mice age and other Websites have been leaking the news about Disney theme parks, I hear that they are going to be ramping up the security levels quite a bit so it will be harder for rumors to make it out.
They can never stop the rumors (as we've all seen here. :ROFLOL:).

jedijake45

T hink I heard awhile back that Geroge Lucas was being asked to help revamp Disenyland's Tommrrowlnad, could this mean that the westcoasters will get Star Tours first. I dont know abouta ll of you, but Star Wars is the only franacise that cant stand toe to toe with Potter and I would love to see a whole Star Wars based land, prob. and that the Studios since Star Tours is already there, as well as Star Wars Weekends. I dont think we have to worry about Jar Jar showing up there, Lucas did cut his from the last two movies.

Since1976

I think one of the downsides of frequenting a board like this is the tendency for rumors/news to whip us into a frenzy of anticipation.

When no new news comes down the pipe, especially when the initial report was unofficial, who, really, is to blame for getting their hopes up?

For the record, though, I do believe STAR TOURS 2 is legit, and if Disney is purposely keeping it under wraps, I applaud them for their self-control!

Since1976

Maybe I am dumb but why would Disney care if things are leaked. For example, if someone on the inside confirmed space mountain was getting a complete refurb. What could universal or sea World do about it?? I understand cutting edge technology secets are important, but if a new ride or refurb is coming whats the big deal? Has there ever been an instance where Disney had an idea stolen for a project?? I guess I don't see the big deal, enlighten me.

I think that one fear is that mis-information may give fans false, or grossly exaggerated expectations of what the new attraction will be. Hype can be bad, in that regard. In some cases it's better to keep things under wraps (big surprise rather than a maddeningly slow build-up).

bgraham34

It will definately happen. The ride is so dated and good old George does not like that. You can bet the Original Trilogy will get a facelift as well within 10 years.

PhilharMagician

With the popularity of Star Wars and Star Wars weekends at the Studios it just has to happen. An upgrade to the ride would be another boost to one of the most popular annual celebrations @ WDW. After seeing SWW you really understand how many SW freaks there really are visiting WDW.:lol:

WhyteAL

With the popularity of Star Wars and Star Wars weekends at the Studios it just has to happen. An upgrade to the ride would be another boost to one of the most popular annual celebrations @ WDW. After seeing SWW you really understand how many SW freaks there really are visiting WDW.:lol:

I prefer the term enthusiast...:D the park is not open that late.

LOL

because we all know the freaks only come out at night...and it ain't till 12 till the party really starts....and I always had to be home by 10....right when the fun was about to begin.

mac41099

Keep in mind that Lucas is in the process of giving us 2 new tv series based on the Star Wars universe. One is a CGI/cartoon type one and the other is a live action one. Both are set to premiere in the 2009 time frame.

So, I'd expect that they would coordinate a revamped Star Tours to open in that time frame and coincide with the tv shows and to combat the opening of Harry Potter Land at Universal.

bigtotoro

I prefer the term enthusiast...:D the park is not open that late.

LOL

because we all know the freaks only come out at night...and it ain't till 12 till the party really starts....and I always had to be home by 10....right when the fun was about to begin.
Crowds of people lined up inside and out...Just one reason, to rock the house
But in the day time the streets was clear...You couldn't find a good freak anywhere, 'cause...

Horizons1986

How great would it be to have a Star Tours 2 and have the old Star Tours remain? I am sure they wouldn't keep both, but there is enough room at the park to where they could do both.

That would be great! I would love to see a new Star Tours, but also keep the original for old time sake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom