Staggs resigns

ElvisMickey

But it's the highest grossing movie and that looks good to certain factions in the company.

I still scratch my head over the decision to purchase Marvel. Lucasfilms I can understand - that company's two major franchises already have a presence in two major Disney theme parks. Plus you get the added bonus of ILM. But Marvel? Especially given that agreement with Universal, which means a limited presence of Marvel characters in your biggest theme park..... No Spidey or Iron Man in WDW, unless you can convince Comcast to amend the existing agreement (yeah, that's gonna happen).

Speaking of ILM, they are really good at not only CGI, but building things. Wonder if they could figure out how to fix Yeti.....

I definitely understand what you're saying and what they were thinking. I just don't believe it translates to Star Wars or Harry Potter like fandom. I mean, how many Avatar life stylers do you know lol? People watched the movie. That's about it.

FigmentForver96

I definitely understand what you're saying and what they were thinking. I just don't believe it translates to Star Wars or Harry Potter like fandom. I mean, how many Avatar life stylers do you know lol? People watched the movie. That's about it.
Maybe not a lot of Avatar lifestyles, but plenty of Disney lifestylers who are drooling over the chance to experince whatever Disney gives them. Disney has a large fan base wrapped around their finger and these fans will do about anything.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Oh, I agree with you. I was just pondering what the thought process for the decision was. That thinking also explains why Frozen will have a ride in Norway.....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Maybe not a lot of Avatar lifestyles, but plenty of Disney lifestylers who are drooling over the chance to experince whatever Disney gives them. Disney has a large fan base wrapped around their finger and these fans will do about anything.

Other than seeing the floating island every time I ride EE, I could give a hill of beans about Avatar. I am, though, excited about SWL, provided it's done properly (fingers crossed after the TSL announcement). And not because I'm a Disney lifestyler.....

doctornick

I still scratch my head over the decision to purchase Marvel. Lucasfilms I can understand - that company's two major franchises already have a presence in two major Disney theme parks. Plus you get the added bonus of ILM. But Marvel? Especially given that agreement with Universal, which means a limited presence of Marvel characters in your biggest theme park..... No Spidey or Iron Man in WDW, unless you can convince Comcast to amend the existing agreement (yeah, that's gonna happen).

Marvel (or any IP really) has far more value beyond just theme park use. In particular, Marvel greatly compliments the girl-heavy consumer products that Disney had at the time of the purchase.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Marvel (or any IP really) has far more value beyond just theme park use. In particular, Marvel greatly compliments the girl-heavy consumer products that Disney had at the time of the purchase.

True, but when that IP is unable to be used to its full extent across the company....

Disneyhead'71

CaptainAmerica

Great! MM+ with a Facebook Status/4Square Update button. That will really kick the #DisneyExperience up a notch.

Just typing that made me queasy. Rocco can have his Modern Life.
+1. I'm only 26 and even I'm appalled at "the kids" and the way they use technology. Walt Disney World should be at the opposite end of the spectrum from "teenager with headphones and toddler with iPad at the family meal."

stretchsje

Reuters has released a story which positions Sheryl Sandberg as the next possible CEO.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...en-departure-could-sheryl-sandberg-be-n550761
This is interesting when combined with the rumor of the BoD's dissatisfaction regarding My Disney Experience playing a part in Staggs' departure. Maybe there's a story there. She'd probably be a good choice to fix that problem, but would she work for the broader scope of the company? It doesn't fit with the narrative of needing someone more creative at the role unless it's narrowed down to creative use of technology. Her most noteworthy accomplishments lead me to believe she'd be best at media distribution more than creation; sharing visions rather than being a visionary.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

+1. I'm only 26 and even I'm appalled at "the kids" and the way they use technology. Walt Disney World should be at the opposite end of the spectrum from "teenager with headphones and toddler with iPad at the family meal."
But, BUT, BUT! Disney would be behind the curve!

I'm surprised they don't stream the trailers for upcoming movies in the table service restaurants. You know, to keep Princess Snowflake entertained while Mom and Dad argue about how much Dad drank and how much they are spending.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But it's the highest grossing movie and that looks good to certain factions in the company.

Speaking of ILM, they are really good at not only CGI, but building things. Wonder if they could figure out how to fix Yeti.....

Perhaps rebuild the Yeti out of carbon fiber which would allow it back into A mode without rebuilding the base

indyumd

Great! MM+ with a Facebook Status/4Square Update button. That will really kick the #DisneyExperience up a notch.

Just typing that made me queasy. Rocco can have his Modern Life.

Oh c'mon. She also has experience at McKinsey, the Department of Treasury and Google and was in line to take a executive leadership at The Washington Post company before joining Facebook. I have no idea whether she'd be a good CEO, but taking Facebook from basically $0 in revenue to $18B in 7 years surely shouldn't disqualify her because its a tech (and now media) company.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
https://disneydish.bandcamp.com/track/outta-here-tom-staggs-leaves-disney

According to Jim Hill, popular opinion within the company is that Staggs was trying to get out before being the fall guy for Shanghai. (They later guessed 3-5 years until profitability after opening hugely over-budget.) @ford91exploder and others suggested this too. The clue here is the short notice- Staggs leaving in 30 days, only two weeks before Shanghai opens.

But he suggested an alternate theory involving very prominent (and very opinionated) shareholders as the result of stock-swaps during Iger's aquisitions, namely:
  • Laurene Powell (Steve Jobs' widow, owns 7.5% of the Disney company!)
  • Ike Perlmutter (CEO of Marvel since 2005, before the Disney acquisition)
Apparently Ike, in particular, really dislikes Iger and especially Staggs. A few sources say Ike was the one who put the brakes on Staggs. The feeling is that the stockholders remember Iger's follies (My Disney Experience is brought up again, which has me again wondering about Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg) and don't want him passing his mantle to an Iger-groomed candidate from within the company. They instead want a new mantle built, a departure from Iger-ism. Hence, they announced on a Monday the "robust search" forecasting a possible pick outside the company. One wonders what this means for Iger finishing his contract.

This theory jives with @WDW1974's optimism, but it's hard to imagine stockholders being displeased with the stock's performance over the past few years. Maybe the stockholders saw shortsightedness, or maybe this is what happens when the egos of powerful individuals (Ike and Iger) collide. What do we know about Laurene Powell and Ike Perlmutter?

Remember the two scenarios are not mutually exclusive, I can see Ike hanging the corpse of My Disney Experience and of SDL's budget woes around Staggs neck in a power move to secure the top slot for himself.

Disneyhead'71

Oh c'mon. She also has experience at McKinsey, the Department of Treasury and Google and was in line to take a executive leadership at The Washington Post company before joining Facebook. I have no idea whether she'd be a good CEO, but taking Facebook from basically $0 in revenue to $18B in 7 years surely shouldn't disqualify her because its a tech (and now media) company.
What does she know about being a player in the movie and TV industry or destination resorts?

hopemax

Reuters has released a story which positions Sheryl Sandberg as the next possible CEO.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...en-departure-could-sheryl-sandberg-be-n550761

I mostly believe the names bandied about now, won't be the names in actual contention. Reporters can be a bit lazy but they have to write the story anyway so they take familiar names, certain people want to elevate their status and so a whole bunch of stories initially come out. I've been trying to take a look at names who might be "blocked" from attaining bigger leadership roles at their current companies. But I don't really know enough about the media network business to know who those people are.

Steve Burke is the obvious choice, but like others, I believe that ship has sailed and there's too much history and he's got a pretty good gig now anyway. But if there is someone below him with the same sort of talent and mindset who recognizes that the corporate ladder is blocked at Comcast/NBC Universal. Or someone at Fox who knows now that Murdoch's sons are back in leadership positions that the road is blocked. In my 10 minute internet search Peter Rice's resume seems interesting. Rose through the ranks at Searchlight, now runs the TV business including sports and International markets, and he's only 48 (most names are people already in their 60s who I don't think would be interested in running Disney at that point in their lives). But he's a Brit, and I have no idea if running an American company is of any interest or if it would even be a good fit. Mostly, I'm just trying to look a little bit down the ladder, for someone younger, but with the right type of experience. If anyone else has any ideas along those lines.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!

Has anyone told Zuckerberg that he was just sitting on the couch eating Cheetos while that happened?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom