SSE Refurb Extension?

Beauty_Belle

I don't know, I think Mission: Space has been fairly well received. But I do agree with the general tone of your comment. For me, Mission: Space just lacks some of the character necessary for a classic attraction. This is more of an intangible concept, so I won't elaborate too much; the ride basically feels like a simulator with some lazy space theming. The only cool theming aspect is the homage to Horizons.

That said, I still think plenty of people would miss it...

Speaking of Mission: Space, I hear from numerous people and clients that people are still getting sick on Mission: Space. Many try it as have said they are sick the rest of the day. Is that correct? That is the only reason I would not miss it. It lacks in story and not many people could ride bc of all the fears and sickness. Where as SSE, everyone can ride it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Speaking of Mission: Space, I hear from numerous people and clients that people are still getting sick on Mission: Space. Many try it as have said they are sick the rest of the day. Is that correct? That is the only reason I would not miss it. It lacks in story and not many people could ride bc of all the fears and sickness. Where as SSE, everyone can ride it.

You will always have people with motion sickness on themepark attractions. Just as people get motion sickness on the Teacups, Space Mountain and Dumbo. It will always happen, and isn't restricted to just Mission Space.

cdunbar

I agree with what Steve said, I mean different rides cause motion sickness for different people. I mean Mission Space doesn't make me sick, but when I ride those teacups I feel as though I might toss my cookies....
I mean if Spaceship Earth is getting the needed refurb to remove all the things that were that were just awful to look at, and it is going to take longer than orginally planned I for one am all for it!:sohappy:
Making the attraction the best it can be is a good thing, if they take this refurb as seriously as speculated then maybe we wont have as many issues as before, as someone who has had to stare at the rome scene for an hr, or longer I am all about this!

bayoutinkbelle

Well maybe It's a Small World is better........................

:ROFLOL:

I love M:S, both versions. A friend of mine can't ride the original because it does give her a headache that tends to last for hours.

And as far as the SSE refurb goes, if it takes a few extra days to get everything done - so be it. It's one of my faves and it's dying for some TLC.

ToTBellHop

Mission: SPACE is popular. It doesn't have Test Track's lines but it also has a SUBSTANTIALLY higher hourly capacity. My experience has shown that wait times for Mission: SPACE are typically similar to what I find at the Tower of Terror. Should we bulldoze it, too? I was not aware that 40-minute standby lines were unacceptable. Surely, then, the almost permanent walk-on Haunted Mansion should be demolished. While I agree that there is SOMETHING missing with Mission: SPACE (I think it is actually the story that I don't like--not the theming or ride system; they should have gone with a real space flight, not a simulation), it is still very convincing to me and the sensation is absolutely incredible. If it received a retheming in a few years, they could definitely pull off a classic E-Ticket. The ride mechanism is brilliant, they just need to throw $25 million at it sometime to bring the execution up to snuff. It definitely fits in Future World (moreso that some other recent additions) and its score (Planetary Plaza) is brilliant and reminiscent of classic Epcot to me. For that matter, Planetary Plaza, itself, is gorgeous. They just slightly missed the mark, but it's not reason to bulldoze the $100,000,000 ride system (not that I'm suggesting they ever would, b/c they wouldn't). I wonder what Tokyo could do with its ride system and the $200,000,000 I'm sure they'd be willing to spend on a ride using it?

SDav10495

They should keep it closed for however long it takes to make SSE into the very best attraction in Epcot Center.
But they've already put Mission: Space there. :shrug:
mission:space can be bulldozed and very few would miss it.

What I meant was out of the current crop of Epcot attractions...the revamped SSE should stand head and shoulders above the rest. Which wouldn't really take much.

Heh, I know what you're talking about. I was referring to the fact that Disney already bulldozed "the very best attraction in Epcot Center" and replaced it with Mission: Space. I guess the Horizons reference wasn't that clear...I'm sorry, it was late after a long night. :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

I would argue there is much more cool theming to Mission: Space: Planetary Plaza, the Gravity Wheel, the exhibits in the main room of the queue, the cold lighting (I love M:S's use of lighting), and the dramatization of the whole preshow with the first room showing the astronaut uniforms lighting up, and then in the second room, suddenly the spotlight is on us. Some of us have grown a bit jaded, I think, but the first time I rode M:S, it was exciting and out of this world. It's a dream come true for anyone who ever wanted to be an astronaut...the countdown, feeling the engine rumbling as you lie on your back, and the first time you feel the sensation of the skin on your face being pushed back. It's just too cool, and the closest most of us will get to space travel. My only complaint is that the imagery is very much like a video game (PS2 quality--we can do much better now). They could have used better CG animation. Some video games these days are FAR more realistic looking. One would think that with a partnership with HP/Compaq, we would have seen cutting edge visuals, not something the average XBox could run.

PhilharMagician

It has been in the back of my mind that they have till Nov 18th to reopen SSE for the Thanksgiving rush and that will also give them a couple of days to take care of any glitches before the massive crowds come in. It just seems that SSE is getting attention from a sponsor Epcot MGMT and WDI that I can't remember seeing in recent history. There are going to be some surprises for all of us to see when SSE finally reopens from its refurb/rebuild and they just may need some extra time to make it happen.

Imagine this type of money, focus and drive being put into the Imagination pavillion, Energy or WOL.:shrug:

DavidTheGreat

I can't wait to see what it's going to be like after the refurb. Due to safety regulations and structural concerns, I can't see it being a high speed ride since it wasn't initially constructed for this purpose. Although, if they made some mods to the existing exterior pilings, it could make a fine coaster.:p

jalpcm

AHHHHHh:cry: :cry: :cry:

I go home on the 3rd and planned to go to Epcot on the 2nd just because of the opening date. Oh well, guess it gives me something new to look forward to when I return. It is one of my favorite rides in Epcot. I will truly miss riding it.

Hey that means I can start planning my next trip to Disney. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Epcot82Guy

This one is going to be interesting. I agree with the sentiment that time is irrelevant if it is necessary for the good attraction. I also find this an interesting turn if new management at Epcot and new management (i.e. $$$ providers) are pushing for a more extensive rehab.

So far, things are sounding very promising. Keep the best of the old, add in some new, and perhaps, perhaps revive some things from the past. I think this would be a wonderful precedent for the rest of the park and would return Epcot to a more cohesive feeling overall. But, that's a lot of eggs for this basket. I just hope it turns out well in an updated classic Epcot style. The signature attraction, at least, deserves that.

CrashNet

Heh, I know what you're talking about. I was referring to the fact that Disney already bulldozed "the very best attraction in Epcot Center" and replaced it with Mission: Space. I guess the Horizons reference wasn't that clear...I'm sorry, it was late after a long night. :rolleyes:
We all know there were bigger, far more important reasons why Horizons is no longer in Epcot.

Enigma

Account Suspended
We all know there were bigger, far more important reasons why Horizons is no longer in Epcot.

Supposedly due to a sinkhole. They could have relocated Horizons elsewhere in the park though. Horizons embodied the Spirit of Epcot and its such a shame that Disney won't build rides with AA's, sight gags, original songs (remember when Imagineering wrote their own songs), and a positive message about life and foward thinking anymore.

Epcotian

Supposedly due to a sinkhole. They could have relocated Horizons elsewhere in the park though. Horizons embodied the Spirit of Epcot and its such a shame that Disney won't build rides with AA's, sight gags, original songs (remember when Imagineering wrote their own songs), and a positive message about life and foward thinking anymore.

Completely agree. A one day WDW trip seeing only Epcot in 1988 was my first exposure to The World. Horizons, SSE, Universe of Energy, Living Seas were the things that won me over. Where else could you go to find an optimistic view of the future like that? Throw the World Showcase in and I've been in love with WDW ever since.

Maybe the current focus on thrill rides will abate and some new dark ride future classics will start rolling off the shelves again. Then again, no reason a little thrill can't be included: Splash is an absolute work of genius and the best ride on property IMO, with enough Disney to please the little ones and just enough of a thrill to be popular with the teens as well.

Keep SSE down for as long as it takes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom