SSE & Palm Trees

doop

I've always enjoyed the palm trees, I think they add a nice touch. They aren't as dramatically huge as the wand was, so to me they don't really interfere with the sight of SSE.

TheBeatles

That cake picture is NOT 1997. I have pictures with my family in front of it in 1986. Maybe I'll post it one day because its a very nice close up shot of the cake.

Figment82

Here's my photo of SSE with palm trees:

n19303205_30740443_696.jpg

I think everyone has a photo of this nature in their album somewhere!

ToTBellHop

The cake says 15 on it and there is a wall up. I think it is 1997 as the wall may indicate that they are getting ready for the Millennium celebration.
in 1997, the 25th Anniversary Celebration was going on property-wide, so there would not have been construction like that for theming and they certainly were not going to confuse people by having a 15th anniversary celebration at Epcot during the property-wide 25th. Therefore, this was just a picture of EPCOT Center (back when it was EPCOT Center) taking part in the property-wide 15th anniversary bash.

jt04

Here's my photo of SSE with palm trees:

n19303205_30740443_696.jpg

I think everyone has a photo of this nature in their album somewhere!

Just went to your "If we can dream it" blog and it is incredible. Never knew how much I was overlooking! Awesome:sohappy:

wild01ride

Here's my wallpaper:

IMG_0398-reduced.jpg

Whenever I need a mental vacation, I can just put up my hands as blinders and stare at this, imagining I were there!

Here's a pic from my last trip, although I caught it a little too dark for my photo-taking capability! I still like it though! - FYI, this was taken the last night that the wand stood complete!

IMG_1138-reduced.jpg

Laura

Sheesh, that's nothing. I thought you were referring to the palm trees that used to be in front of SSE's legs--they were quite a bit taller and, IMO at least, didn't detract from SSE's scale at all. They were pretty impressive and looked nice all in a row--they kind of led you right into the entrance. Without them, the sphere almost looks too huge, like it's been randomly plopped into a plaza with no symmetry or order or anything to relate to it (the distracting tombstones don't help, but that's another thread, isn't it? :rolleyes:).

spa17bThe%20Geodesic%20Golfball%20%28%20Spaceship%20Earth%20%29,%20Orlando.jpg

Hey I have a pic of me as a little girl in front of that birthday cake. I always wondered where that was taken! :lol:

DisneyMusician2

Great pics, guys.

I don't think that the trees detract from the scale of SSE. I really think they are a reminder of how nice the weather is down there. Can't wait to see it again in person! :sohappy:

fngoofy

Original Poster
It frightens me that the suggestion of cutting down perfectly healthy trees and replacing them with smaller ones for aesthetic purposes hasn't gotten one comment about the ecological impact.

Maybe we deserve global warming...

Thanks for the straw-man, you assumed they'd be cut down as opposed to moved and planted elsewhere.

EPCOT Explorer

I really don't like them...They look unkept and dirty and takes the beautity of SSE a little bit.

Let's start a campain to take down the palms now.LOL:)

MuRkErY

Just went to your "If we can dream it" blog and it is incredible. Never knew how much I was overlooking! Awesome

I read it too. It's really great. Lots of nice bits of info, and highlighted a few things I'd never seen before. Keep up the good work :)

Also the Palm Trees are fine, they provide a nice sense of scale to SSE.

jillmo1474

Birthday cake in front of Epcot

Lara 22,
I remember being in Disney when that cake was there! It was mt first trip to Disney ever! I was in middle school. I am now getting ready to turn 33 in Aug. I vaguely remember getting a family picture taken in front of the cake. I do remember the "15 years" birthday song though. I still cannot get it entirely out of my head to this day! It is just really cool you brought it up because it brings back memories for me:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom