Spy Kids 3D

MrPromey

Original Poster
Saw this last weekend… I know that the first two went over very well (and I haven’t seen them) so maybe an adult who has seen them can answer a question for me. Are they parodies of ‘real’ movies?.. I ask this because aside from the novelty of the whole 3D thing, I think this was probably a really, really horrible movie. I say “probably” because if all of the cliché and incredibly cheesy stuff was intentional it was actually not that bad of a movie. I mean, I laughed through a lot of it but I’m not sure that everything I was laughing at was supposed to be funny… The most obvious lift would probably be from the matrix which starts with being in a ‘virtual’ world, goes to our main character being referred to as “the guy” with a similar (though less serious) savior kind of role as well as a (I blush as I say this) romance…

Nearly the entire thing was done on green screen and at the end of the movie it seems like they just started throwing random characters on the screen. ( I assume that Steve Buscemi riding a flying pig is some sort of reference to one of the previous two movies).

I found it all funny because I sort of find sarcastic humor in things like Ed Wood movies and I’m guessing that most children don’t share this cynical sense of humor so I feel that this was either a horribly written movie that plans to capitalize on the popularity of the first two and the novelty of the whole 3D thing (the old kind with red and blue glasses) or it was a humorously written parody on action movies that is designed to entertain children who will take it seriously as well as adults who find it funny when a movie ends with the saying “it isn’t about winning or loosing but how...” – I think you know the rest. So which is it? Totally tong in cheek or totally stupid?

I have to admit that it was quite amusing to see the host of Fantasy Island kicking butt but the funniest part of the movie would have had to be the Sly Stalone impersonation that George Clooney does during the credits in the end.

NowInc

I saw it too..and all i can say is it was SOOOOOOO rushed that it made it a bad movie. The 3d was 2nd rate, and the story..well...was pretty damn bad. Points to go out to them for making the whole "3d glasses" deal..but yeah..not going to see this one again..left me pretty dissapointed.

MKCustodial

Too bad... I like the other 2 and I was REALLY hoping this would be at least as good as the others. The Harryhausen homage on the 2nd was well done, in my opinion, and I was curious as to how the 3D thing would work out...

Oh well, at least we know this is the last one, Robert Rodriguez said so, and the kids ain't that small anymore!

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by NowInc
I saw it too..and all i can say is it was SOOOOOOO rushed that it made it a bad movie. The 3d was 2nd rate, and the story..well...was pretty damn bad. Points to go out to them for making the whole "3d glasses" deal..but yeah..not going to see this one again..left me pretty dissapointed.

I take it that your ticket was free as well, eh? ;)

Like I said, I hadn't seen the first two so I wasn't really sure. I mean, if the first two had been the same way and had managed to be popular it could have been that I just didn't fully "get it" but from what you are saying that doesn't seem to be the case... Oh well...

BTW MKCustodail, what you are saying about the kids not looking that young anymore is particularly true of the girl. I would guess this is why she was absent from most of the movie.

imagineer boy

Let's not forget the special effects. THEY'RE TERRIBLE! Of corse, they've been bad in the other movies too, but this was just plain awful. You could see the white line around the characters everytime they were in front of a CG backround.

BAD MOVIE.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Well, it was #1 at the box office for opening weekend beating out the new releases Seabiscuit and Tomb Raider (with POTC at 2nd place)...

Either the core audience didn't mind or it is going to have a sharp drop off next week. In either case, it made nearly twice as much as SK2 did during opening week so at least it will be financially successful for Disney.

NowInc

Even bad movies make money...

...and generally...kids movies usually make faster money due to kids seeing it over and over and over....plus having to be "the first one" to see it.

careship

Friday was my wedding anniversary and we spent the day with the kids in the movie theatre. We saw Spy Kids 3D and I was not impressed at all. The 3D effects were bogus IMHO. We then saw Juhnny English. Very stupid but funny. Then Tomb Raider which was a good movie. And then again PoTC for the thrid time. We helped all those box ofiice numbers out alot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom