Sprint/Nextel Radios leaving?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
So the Nextel network is going away on June 30th. I've heard a really good source tell me that this affects all the radios Disney uses for park & bus operations.... as in come June 30th, they wont work anymore.

Anyone know what theyre going to be moving to for radios?

SJFPKT

So the Nextel network is going away on June 30th. I've heard a really good source tell me that this affects all the radios Disney uses for park & bus operations.... as in come June 30th, they wont work anymore.

Anyone know what theyre going to be moving to for radios?

Probably just switch over to Sprints PTT network. Though it isn't IDEN, from talking to someone it is pretty good compared to the crud Verizon tried to roll out.

spiritofNorway

Okay. Sprint is discontinuing the Nextel PPT network. Disney has had them as a primary radio since 2004. The problem is the network goes away June 30.
transition business and government customers from its iDEN (2G) Nextel National Network onto Sprint® Direct Connect® -- its next-generation, push to talk service, which operates on Sprint’s 3G CDMA network.

Will there be any big problem?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
transition business and government customers from its iDEN (2G) Nextel National Network onto Sprint® Direct Connect® -- its next-generation, push to talk service, which operates on Sprint’s 3G CDMA network.

Will there be any big problem?

Okay, I was sent an internal Disney document that says they're changing radios because of it. I'm not reporting it.

What I want to know is what they are moving to.

maxairmike

They probably just have to switch to a Sprint branded/carrier approved device for the Sprint version. I haven't heard of anything big happening with this, and I would expect to if something major was happening.

Verizon still "sponsors" the Agent P attraction by providing the equipment, so I suppose there's a small chance they'll switch completely to Verizon, but I doubt it.

kylewr86

To use sprint direct connect you need a CDMA Phone. (Code Division Multiple Access). Nextel phones currently use IDEN (Integrated Digital Enhanced Network). These are two different networks that cannot talk to each other. So yes they will need to switch but according to my research they would be most likely to switch to sprint phones and use the sprint push to talk. They would probably get a discount for staying with sprint and Qualcomm has partnered with sprint to bring something that no other network can offer. Qualcomm has been in the truck transport buisness for years and they have many services that professional truckers depend on. They could possibly use this to track the buses and also use the PTT all with the phones instead of using the overhead domes that many trucks use for qualcomm. This sounds perfect for what disney needs and uses.

stevehousse

My stepmom works for Sprint, an she said because of the buyout and Nextel direct connect going away, they are switching over thousands of phones across the country and its a head ache! Yes Disney is affected, and they will all be receiving new phones to use the sprint version of that.

flavious27

It would just make more sense for them to have data only devices that use voip and then have traditional radios as a backup.

Neverland

We've already started using them at my attraction. They're Motorola SL4000s.

SL7550Overview_410x510.jpg

(picture from the Motorola website)

The only real difference is that they don't have phone capabilities and direct connect like Nextels do, so guests are going to start hearing a lot more radio traffic.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
We've already started using them at my attraction. They're Motorola SL4000s.
The only real difference is that they don't have phone capabilities and direct connect like Nextels do, so guests are going to start hearing a lot more radio traffic.
Theoretically, these are just a temporary fix. They're definitely not a step up.

Dasnowz

the nextel radios are gone in most areas as of today. the ones pictured above are in some areas. They are not waterproof... Other areas have ones that are much larger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom