Springfield and HHN (Treehouse of Horror?)

#OccupyBeastlyKingdom

Original Poster
Screamscape brought up a good question today, something which hasn't really been discussed.

Can we expect a Treehouse of Horror overlay for HHN this year? Or sometime in the near future?

Very exciting to consider.

I also asked this on OU, will update if any information of substance is given.

JT3000

As I understand it, Fox originally pitched a seasonal Treehouse of Horror overlay for the Simpsons Ride but Universal didn't want to do it.

#OccupyBeastlyKingdom

Original Poster
As HHN's continues to grow in new ways we may finally begin to see Halloween themed rides again in the future. A Tree House of Horror simulator overlay is possible.

That's great to hear. I didn't even consider the possibility that the show could be changed like that.

But how about a Treehouse of Horror Scarezone? That is what I was originally inquiring about.

JT3000

A scarezone has to be scary, not just Halloween themed. The Simpsons isn't scary... unless we're talking about the new Krusty walkaround character. That thing's frightening.

#OccupyBeastlyKingdom

Original Poster
A scarezone has to be scary, not just Halloween themed. The Simpsons isn't scary... unless we're talking about the new Krusty walkaround character. That thing's frightening.

I disagree. it doesn't have to be scary to be an enjoyable attraction. People would enjoy a silly/spooky area along the same feeling as the Halloween episodes of the show. Could be a staple each year with changing themes and would really diversify the HHN experience.

JT3000

I disagree. it doesn't have to be scary to be an enjoyable attraction.

It doesn't? Why do you think they're called scarezones? Because they make people laugh? o_O

Have you ever been to Halloween Horror Nights? Being scary is literally the entire point of the event (excluding certain shows.) Trying to "diversify" it in such a way would be contrary to its purpose.

If you're looking for silly/spooky, Disney has you covered.

Legacy

Universal has regularly had zones that specifically weren't scary...

Treaks and Foons, specifically, was more humorous and bizarre than scary.

JT3000

Universal has regularly had zones that specifically weren't scary...

Treaks and Foons, specifically, was more humorous and bizarre than scary.

One person's bizarre is another person's scary. There's very little at HHN I actually find scary, but that doesn't mean it won't scare someone else.

And these weren't totally innocuous:
treaksandfoons_character.jpg

#OccupyBeastlyKingdom

Original Poster
It doesn't? Why do you think they're called scarezones? Because they make people laugh? o_O

Have you ever been to Halloween Horror Nights? Being scary is literally the entire point of the event (excluding certain shows.) Trying to "diversify" it in such a way would be contrary to its purpose.

If you're looking for silly/spooky, Disney has you covered.

That's thinking too inside the box. A Simpsons scarezone could still make you jump, but could also keep the humor of the show.

The theme could be anything from running from an escaped Sideshow Bob, to an experiment at Professor Frink's lab gone horribly wrong, to the killer robots from Itchy and Scratcy land, to a generic Simpsons zombie theme.

Let's say the theme was Professor Frink's lab during a science experiment gone horribly wrong...you're walking through a dark, dimly-lit laboratory. Broken lights are flickering and smoke is pouring out of some busted machines, filling the room. As you turn a corner, suddenly you hear a scream and out runs a large shadowy figure...it's Cheif Wiggum being attacked lab monkeys, flailing around trying to get them off his arms. Not all scares would be harmless however, around the next corner could be some type of monster, zombie, robot, etc. The blend of anxiety and humor would be a cool spin on the typical haunted house.

Pure horror gets old fast, for me atleast. I don't spook easily, but I enjoy the immersive environments. This would provide a different experience, and I think it would gather a dedicated following considering how strongly people of a certain age feel about (classic) Simpsons. It would be fun.

magicallactose

I disagree. it doesn't have to be scary to be an enjoyable attraction. People would enjoy a silly/spooky area along the same feeling as the Halloween episodes of the show. Could be a staple each year with changing themes and would really diversify the HHN experience.

Agreed. The Chucky Insult Imporium was a hit for its humour, not because it was scary.

Skip

I don't mean to sound insulting... but you guys have clearly never been to Halloween Horror Nights. None of that stuff would ever fly. You can't have Springfield characters be really scary or freaky at all. The "humor" or "dark comedy" houses that have been featured over the years (HR Bloodengutz, Clown-O-Vision, Creatures!, Penn & Teller, Leave it to Cleaver) have always been extremely gory and/or otherwise disturbing in its sense of humor... I mean, it's black comedy. You can't do that with yellow Simpsons characters. (And I really doubt Matt Groening would want it to happen, anyway.)

A general October themed "Treehouse of Horror" overlay to the ride or Springfield area, however, would be fun and appreciated.

#OccupyBeastlyKingdom

Original Poster
I don't mean to sound insulting... but you guys have clearly never been to Halloween Horror Nights. None of that stuff would ever fly. You can't have Springfield characters be really scary or freaky at all. The "humor" or "dark comedy" houses that have been featured over the years (HR Bloodengutz, Clown-O-Vision, Creatures!, Penn & Teller, Leave it to Cleaver) have always been extremely gory and/or otherwise disturbing in its sense of humor... I mean, it's black comedy. You can't do that with yellow Simpsons characters. (And I really doubt Matt Groening would want it to happen, anyway.)

A general October themed "Treehouse of Horror" overlay to the ride or Springfield area, however, would be fun and appreciated.

You wouldn't visit this particular "scare"zone to be terrified. There's plenty of that already.

Just because that's the way HHN has been in the past, doesn't mean that's the way it has to be going forward. It doesn't need to be outright horrifying to be HHN appropriate. If its a highly-themed, walk-thru Halloween experience with a fair share of jumps and spooks, it would be a welcome addition to the park by many guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom