spring break, snow days, attendance

dzny-gram

Original Poster
Just wondering.. I know a lot of states had said spring break would be cancelled to make up for the snow days this year. Does anyone know if this in fact happened? And is attendance down for the parks d/t this? Just curious if anyone has any info .. Thanks

Tom

Beta Return
I haven't heard of schools canceling Spring Break - at least not around here (Indiana). Last winter was much worse for us, with far more days of school missed, and they were still able to make them up throughout the rest of the school year.

Spring Break is just now starting for many schools, with next week being the start for the rest. I doubt attendance will be down at all this year.

EmmieSue

Here in New York a lot of the schools in the area have to make up a few extra Snow days and I have friends in Ohio who also have to make up quite a few more. The thing is, most schools don't actually completely cancel a break. The schools here have two less days on their spring break and have a few added on to the end of the year.

I highly doubt this event is enough to change the crowd levels. If a family wants to go then those couple days their kid would be missing probably doesn't matter a ton to them if they booked in advance. They will just call their kid in sick or have them make up the work in advance or something along those lines. I doubt many, if any, schools cancelled their entire break.

dzny-gram

Original Poster
What I had originally heard was from friends in Ma and Vt. Was curious as to what was happening in other states. They had an especially hard winter up there with some colleges closed for 20 days or more d/t snow. But from what you all are saying it isnt what happened and attendance is still normal for this time period. Thanks for the input.

copcarguyp71

They are taking away days here in eastern PA due to an inordinate number of snow days but I think people who booked vacations six months ago or more will likely still just pull their kids out of school for the most part. I would not look for a reduced crowd level on account of this.

G00fyDad

Down here in Southern Indiana the kids get two weeks for Spring Break with the understanding that up to a week of that can be taken for snow makeup days. If no snow days occur they get two full weeks. Unfortunately the kids have missed a full two weeks worth of school so they lost the second week already. They'll make the rest up at the end of the year.

Trevor67

G00fyDad hit the nail on the head, most school districts just add days at the end of the year or eliminate teacher workdays over removing days from predetermined breaks. A lot of schools do maintenance and staff meetings over breaks so they're not moved whereas adding a day or two at the end of the year is fine.

Missymoe4

I teach high school in the Chicagoland. 99.9 percent of our schools were off for 5 days throughout the winter. Most of our school districts build "emergency weather days" into our schedule (for example, my school already had an extra 5 days in the school year, so we came out even this year by calling 5 days off).

I do not know of (and would never dream that) a district would cancel an entire spring break. I could only imagine the taxpayers distaste in that manner (at least around here it would be a major uproar). With teacher contracts and such, I would be quite interested to hear of a district that took an entire week away. Around here schools take away minor days off (such as institute days, President's day, etc.).

I'm visualizing how the teachers at my school would take district telling us that we will no longer have a spring break this year. I don't think a single teacher would show up to work. Ha!

Anyhow, I'm extremely interested in hearing if schools did take the break away.

prfctlyximprct

In Jersey the build 5 days into your schedule, and then start tacking them on at the end of the year. Had to move my trip last year from June to August thanks to all the snow!! THANKS ELSA!

KLeigh

My parents are in education here in Michigan, and our schools have never canceled spring break. When schools exceed their snow day allowance they will have class the Friday before Memorial Day, add minutes on to the school day for the rest of the school year, or go an extra day or two in June.

Disney4family

Honestly, I've had parents skip the breaks and take their kids out weeks before or after the typical breaks. I told my asst principal that we should all skip out during the stupid state tests. She agreed.;)

cheezbat

Having visited the parks last week and this week I can say without a doubt crowds are not down. When the wait times for Haunted Mansion and Pirates start reaching 80-90 minute waits, you know it's busy.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Colleges, which have spring breaks right now or in the last few weeks, did NOT cancel. They would have a riot on their hands if they did.

Here in MD, a few counties have dropped days off of spring break, but I imagine those that had plans did not cancel them. I haven't heard about spring break being cancelled in PA either.

Figgy1

We lost all of our Easter vacation except Good Friday because of the snow and cold but a few of my boys friends whose families booked over 6 months ago are going any way. Doesn't look like the crowds are going to thin, just the amount of kids in class rooms:confused:

Moedutton

Here in NC, they took away 2-4 days depending on which county you are in. Two days were taken away from my particular county, but we will be there in a week anyway. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom