Spread of Zika, and cloud of fear, threatens Florida’s tourism way of life

21stamps

We are not dismissing if but living down here me personally, we deal with getting seriously ill or dying (have several deaths a year in Louisiana)due to mosquitos every single year. So I will take my usual precautions to avoid them as with any other time. But won't live in fear due to Zika or any other disease they carry. Nothing to stress more about unless you are trying to get pregnant, are pregnant, or around expectant moms, etc. ;)
I think most people agree with your philosophy. That's why plenty of people have been cruising/traveling for the past year. :).

rd805

Zika is a huge hoax --- the mothers that have shown the issues were all from the same area, who were given a particular vaccine. Yes, you get the flu --- but like others in this post have said it is gone within a few days, and in most cases by the time you find out you have it it has already left your system (the test results can take 3-4 weeks!). The media continues to over blow this, and its hurting tourism around the world.

SorcererMC

Zika is a huge hoax --- the mothers that have shown the issues were all from the same area, who were given a particular vaccine. Yes, you get the flu --- but like others in this post have said it is gone within a few days, and in most cases by the time you find out you have it it has already left your system (the test results can take 3-4 weeks!). The media continues to over blow this, and its hurting tourism around the world.

So many falsehoods here. I can't even.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yikes! Hoax? No. Overblown? Maybe.

rd805

Yikes! Hoax? No. Overblown? Maybe.

To my knowledge -- there is 1 case of microcephaly in the US, 1 in Spain, and the rest ALL from Brazil. And the reports I've read link both the US/Spain cases to Brazil.

Zika has been around since the 1940s -- obviously this an altered new strain, but just to shed some light for those who think this is something 'new.'

There is no surprise that the US has been wanting the Olympics out of Brazil (they've been complaining for 2+ years). I think this is why the media really started to overplay the Zika reports. Well this and the brain eating bacteria in the water --- which again IMO seems MUCH scarier than this virus.

Edit/Add: Peace/Love to you all -- not trying to start a fight, just telling you that I don't think you should worry about going to WDW*** haha

21stamps

Disney does an amazing job controlling mosquitoes on property. I don't know the details, but I go often in the evening and I don't recall being bitten at Disney. Mosquitoes love me too.
I will get bit in my yard, at a playground, just about anywhere I go in the evening, except Disney World.

Is their work perfect? Probably not. I'm sure there are a few of the pests snacking on tourists.
I am watching this story closely because Florida tourism keeps my taxes low.
Florida tourism keeps the pesky income taxes away :)

Marco226

We are not dismissing if but living down here me personally, we deal with getting seriously ill or dying (have several deaths a year in Louisiana)due to mosquitos every single year. So I will take my usual precautions to avoid them as with any other time. But won't live in fear due to Zika or any other disease they carry. Nothing to stress more about unless you are trying to get pregnant, are pregnant, or around expectant moms, etc. ;)

Yeah, I hope people don't get too scared and just keep living normally. It's not like it's airborne, and thete are scarier things to be worried about right now. I think my imagination runs away sometimes because I play zombie games like Resident Evil, and things always turn bad because the people don't take things serious enough. Hahah

But I think the fact that most people don't show symptoms is what makes this a little bit scarier to some people because they don't want to accidentally infect someone they love and then live with that guilt. We're used to dealing with people who show symptoms, get diagnosed, and then receive the correct medicine or treatment. But Zika? Yeah I can see why some people would be more worried.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
To my knowledge -- there is 1 case of microcephaly in the US, 1 in Spain, and the rest ALL from Brazil. And the reports I've read link both the US/Spain cases to Brazil.

Zika has been around since the 1940s -- obviously this an altered new strain, but just to shed some light for those who think this is something 'new.'

There is no surprise that the US has been wanting the Olympics out of Brazil (they've been complaining for 2+ years). I think this is why the media really started to overplay the Zika reports. Well this and the brain eating bacteria in the water --- which again IMO seems MUCH scarier than this virus.

Edit/Add: Peace/Love to you all -- not trying to start a fight, just telling you that I don't think you should worry about going to WDW*** haha
I appreciate the details but it exists so it can't be a hoax. I do believe it is being blown way out of proportion. Heck the flu is much more dangerous.

SorcererMC

Zika virus is in fact a newly emerging infectious disease, and is at epidemic levels, spreading since October 2015 in Brazil and since March 2016 in Puerto Rico (This information is readily available via PAHO/WHO.)

As of Aug 1, there is a confirmed cluster of 14 locally-acquired cases in Miami, FL, 12 cases in Wynwood neighborhood, 1 square mile. (1 case in Broward Co, 1 case Miami-Dade Co).

There are 0 locally-acquired confirmed cases in Orlando, FL as of yet.

FL Dept of Health for quick reference, which includes the FL govt and CDC response: http://www.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2016/08/080116-zika-update.html

(Re-posting of known Zika outbreaks)
1947 - an emerging mosquito-borne (Aedes aegypti ) arbovirus that was first isolated from a rhesus monkey in Uganda

Zika Virus outbreaks:
2007- the first outbreak was documented in the Pacific islands, in Yap Island, Micronesia
2013 - it was in French Polynesia (Until 2013, there was no evidence Zika had ever hospitalized anyone)
2014 - to Cook Islands
7 May 2015- Brazil reported its first case of Zika virus disease (same strain as was circulating in 2013 French Polynesia)
2 Feb 2016 - first US case reported in TX (travel-related)
3 Feb 2016 - 9 cases reported in FL (all travel-related)
Feb-March 2016 - Puerto Rico transmission being reported
---------------------
19 July 2016 - Miami cluster: FL officials are investigating what may be the first case of local transmission in Miami-Dade County
29 July 2016 - 4 cases of local-transmission confirmed in Miami, FL (1 square mile in Wynwood, northern downtown)
1 Aug 2016 - 10 additional cases of local-transmission confirmed in Miami after canvassing the infected area and testing

rd805

Zika virus is in fact a newly emerging infectious disease, and is at epidemic levels, spreading since October 2015 in Brazil and since March 2016 in Puerto Rico (This information is readily available via PAHO/WHO.)

FL Dept of Health for quick reference, which includes the FL govt and CDC response: http://www.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2016/08/080116-zika-update.html

[/spoiler]

Great link --- from it:
Florida has been monitoring pregnant women with evidence of Zika regardless of symptoms since January. The total number of pregnant women who have been or are being monitored is 55.

I'm HOPING that none of these pregnancy's lead to microcephaly. Time will tell -- If you read my quote, was not arguing the # of cases -- but the cases of Pregnancy related issues.

21stamps

As of Aug 1, there is a confirmed cluster of 14 locally-acquired cases in Miami, FL, 12 cases in Wynwood neighborhood, 1 square mile. (1 case in Broward Co, 1 case Miami-Dade Co).

There are 0 locally-acquired confirmed cases in Orlando, FL as of yet.

(Re-posting of known Zika outbreaks)
1947 - an emerging mosquito-borne (Aedes aegypti ) arbovirus that was first isolated from a rhesus monkey in Uganda

Zika Virus outbreaks:
2007- the first outbreak was documented in the Pacific islands, in Yap Island, Micronesia
2013 - it was in French Polynesia (Until 2013, there was no evidence Zika had ever hospitalized anyone)
2014 - to Cook Islands
7 May 2015- Brazil reported its first case of Zika virus disease (same strain as was circulating in 2013 French Polynesia)
2 Feb 2016 - first US case reported in TX (travel-related)
3 Feb 2016 - 9 cases reported in FL (all travel-related)
Feb-March 2016 - Puerto Rico transmission being reported
---------------------
19 July 2016 - Miami cluster: FL officials are investigating what may be the first case of local transmission in Miami-Dade County
29 July 2016 - 4 cases of local-transmission confirmed in Miami, FL (1 square mile in Wynwood, northern downtown)
1 Aug 2016 - 10 additional cases of local-transmission confirmed in Miami after canvassing the infected area and testing
I have to add to this--

Since January 2016 the cruise lines have been offering the option to cancel --for pregnant women, not just anyone, on their Caribbean itineraries.

Most of the Caribbean islands, central, and South America have been under an "alert" for several months now. I booked my cruise back in March, and I knew we were traveling to "Zika" islands well before I made the reservation.

Travel to any of these places have not seen any sort of significant impact from people cancelling or choosing not to go.

21stamps

Great link --- from it:
Florida has been monitoring pregnant women with evidence of Zika regardless of symptoms since January. The total number of pregnant women who have been or are being monitored is 55.

I'm HOPING that none of these pregnancy's lead to microcephaly. Time will tell -- If you read my quote, was not arguing the # of cases -- but the cases of Pregnancy related issues.
It is recommended that EVERY pregnant woman in America gets tested for it.

SorcererMC

@The Mom Can we please move this thread to General Discussion where there is already a Zika thread, and since it's not about WDW/ Orlando yet? Subject to change, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom