SPOILER: Live-Action The Little Mermaid

LittleBuford

I originally posted my review on Saturday night in the other thread but have just been informed that it’s not appropriate reading for those who haven’t yet seen the film. Since I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone, I’ll stick to posting my thoughts here instead.

——

I just got back from seeing it. It was thoroughly enjoyable! A few disconnected thoughts:
  • Halle is amazing! I’m glad there seems to be consensus on that.
  • Jonah makes an excellent Prince Eric, and his chemistry with Halle is a joy to watch. My favourite parts of the movie are those that flesh out the connection between the couple.
  • I don’t care what anyone says (I’m looking at you, @Disney Analyst), Flounder is adorable!
  • I was less enamoured of the revamped Sebastian and Scuttle, principally because of their voices, which just didn’t work all that well for me. Daveed Diggs was too subdued for my liking, though he grew on me as the film went on, and Awkwafina’s performance, while perfectly OK, felt ill-suited to the character (to my mind, someone like Ellen would have sounded more convincing in the role).
  • My thoughts on Awkwafina aside, “The Scuttlebutt” was good fun! I don’t understand why it’s getting so much hate.
  • The larger cast of sea creatures were disappointingly silent. Except for the blowfish, the various aquatic musicians whom Sebastian lists in “Under the Sea” were all absent, as were the chorus of singing snails, whose vocals were instead provided (beautifully, I might add) by Halle. Even Flotsam and Jetsam were mute in this version. I’m not sure what would have motivated these changes.
  • Despite the concerns that some here expressed, the film didn’t look too dark.
  • The edits made to the original lyrics were extremely minor and subtle.
  • I cried at the end, though the emotional mood was somewhat comically undercut by the sudden appearance of a very buff merman who looked like he’d wandered off a go-go dancer’s podium.
All in all, I really enjoyed this remake and (returning to an analogy I’ve made before) would compare viewing it to listening to a well-made cover song that, while not superior to the original, has its own merits and appeal. I look forward to rewatching it on Disney+ (something I’ve yet to do in the case of any of the other remakes I’ve seen).

And I’ll conclude by noting that the audience I was part of spontaneously erupted into applause at the end.

LittleBuford

What did people think of Jodi’s cameo? I knew she had one but didn’t know what form it would take, so I was waiting expectantly to see her. I thought it was very cleverly and charmingly done, and I loved the symbolism of the original Ariel handing over a dinglehopper to her successor.

gerarar

Premium Member
Had the opportunity to see TLM last night (before Spiderverse, did a back-to-back viewing). Was originally suppose to see it last Thursday, but some cancellations with my friends threw the whole night in a wrench. They never rescheduled (the desire to really see it wasn't there I guess) so I saw it on my own lol.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. It started out rough imo, but it started to pick up halfway through and flowed very nice to the end. Really liked Ariel and Eric bonding on land, those were the highlights for me.

The songs were also pretty good. Scuttlebutt was really the "what the heck" part for me. Unnecessary imo, and a couple of people around me had the same wth reactions after it. Under The Sea was cool but the dancing sea creatures threw me off a bit, guess that's approaching uncanny valley for me lol. Kiss The Girl and Part of Your World were fantastic, especially the reprises.

I found the CGI wonky in some parts and some sequences dark-ish. Ariel's collection of stuff was just dim overall and wished they added more "shine" and color here and there. Sabastian and Flunder were ehh. Probably the lowest parts of the movie for me.

Obviously the highlight was Ariel herself, as Halle really elevated the character. Ursula and Eric was also okay. The supporting cast from the Queen to Eric's butler(?) and Scuttle were good. I also reciprocate that King Triton felt monotone overall, but maybe that was intentional.

Now to rank my favorite live action remakes (theatrical, personally saw in theaters):
1. Aladdin
2. Christopher Robin (kind of a spinoff?)
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. The Little Mermaid
5. Jungle Book
6. Mulan
7. Cinderalla
8. The Lion King
9. Dumbo
I also really liked Cruella and Malificient, but those are more villian spinoffs instead of direct remakes.

Pretty good overall, but it was a tad bit long imo. A lot of the kids in my showing were squirming around towards the end, due to the long runtime. Personally, it doesn't have that rewatchable factor for me as much as Aladdin since that's my favorite and I love the songs so much there. Mulan could've been another favorite of mine, but they did it so dirty, sigh.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

After rewatching the film today one of my biggest wishes was a song for King Triton, I think it would have been perfect to encapsulate the grief and sorrow he feels about losing Ariel and could have connected back to her mother. Definitely would feel appropriate in the scene after Triton's daughter report back to him that she's missing. Would have added a level of complexity to the character and opens the door for world being via flashbacks of a young Ariel/mother.
I would have loved to have had the If Only quartet from the musical (where triton does sing), even if they needed to rewrite some of the lyrics for Ariel to account for her not knowing of the kiss.

Californian Elitist

I originally posted my review on Saturday night in the other thread but have just been informed that it’s not appropriate reading for those who haven’t yet seen the film. Since I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone, I’ll stick to posting my thoughts here instead.

——

I just got back from seeing it. It was thoroughly enjoyable! A few disconnected thoughts:
  • Halle is amazing! I’m glad there seems to be consensus on that.
  • Jonah makes an excellent Prince Eric, and his chemistry with Halle is a joy to watch. My favourite parts of the movie are those that flesh out the connection between the couple.
  • I don’t care what anyone says (I’m looking at you, @Disney Analyst), Flounder is adorable!
  • I was less enamoured of the revamped Sebastian and Scuttle, principally because of their voices, which just didn’t work all that well for me. Daveed Diggs was too subdued for my liking, though he grew on me as the film went on, and Awkwafina’s performance, while perfectly OK, felt ill-suited to the character (to my mind, someone like Ellen would have sounded more convincing in the role).
  • My thoughts on Awkwafina aside, “The Scuttlebutt” was good fun! I don’t understand why it’s getting so much hate.
  • The larger cast of sea creatures were disappointingly silent. Except for the blowfish, the various aquatic musicians whom Sebastian lists in “Under the Sea” were all absent, as were the chorus of singing snails, whose vocals were instead provided (beautifully, I might add) by Halle. Even Flotsam and Jetsam were mute in this version. I’m not sure what would have motivated these changes.
  • Despite the concerns that some here expressed, the film didn’t look too dark.
  • The edits made to the original lyrics were extremely minor and subtle.
  • I cried at the end, though the emotional mood was somewhat comically undercut by the sudden appearance of a very buff merman who looked like he’d wandered off a go-go dancer’s podium.
All in all, I really enjoyed this remake and (returning to an analogy I’ve made before) would compare viewing it to listening to a well-made cover song that, while not superior to the original, has its own merits and appeal. I look forward to rewatching it on Disney+ (something I’ve yet to do in the case of any of the other remakes I’ve seen).

And I’ll conclude by noting that the audience I was part of spontaneously erupted into applause at the end.
I wholeheartedly agree with the majority of this post! Jonah Hauer-King is a fantastic and quite handsome Eric. And he can sing! “Wild Uncharted Waters” is probably my favorite new song that was written for the film. Love the emotion and longing desire for Ariel that is expressed in the song. Speaking of song and Ariel, Halle is the biggest star of the movie. Not only is she a fabulous vocalist and has the perfect siren voice, her acting was SO good. I was especially impressed by her silent scenes. I broke into tears during “Part of Your World,” and I could hear my sister crying as well. Two big babies. Ariel and Eric’s fleshed out relationship was much appreciated. They were obsessed with each other without the other knowing, which I thought was sweet, and I really liked seeing how both were grounded by their parents, despite wanting more for themselves. They are like twin flames in this movie.

Melissa McCarthy as Ursula was such a surprise! And she can sing, too! I had no clue. She KILLED “Poor Unfortunate Souls.” Absolutely loved her take on the song. I agree that the different lyrics make no difference.

Hate to admit it, but I loved Awkwafina as Scuttle. She herself annoys the crap out of me, but her voice and jokes did the character well. I love “The Scuttlebutt” lol. I was expecting to hate it, but I found myself moving and jamming to it. The lyrics are fun and clever. Daveed Diggs as Sebastian was nice, but not my favorite. I wanted more energy. Not sure why Flotsam and Jetsam don’t speak. I too found that strange. Didn’t hinder the film, but I love their dialogue in the animated version.

Loved the very attractive mermen at the end LOL. I also cried at the end.😂

Californian Elitist

I should mention that I think “For the First Time” and “Wild Uncharted Waters” or both Oscar-worthy, especially the former. I’m really happy that this film actually emphasizes the severity of Ariel’s choice to sell her soul and her voice for something she wants. There are various moments where she is reminded of the price she paid. I also love that Ariel is actually experiences fear and uncertainty of her time as a human, particularly when Eric walks away from her without knowing she is the girl he’s been looking for. The realistic emotions and feelings in this film are appreciated.

tcool123

I should mention that I think “For the First Time” and “Wild Uncharted Waters” or both Oscar-worthy, especially the former. I’m really happy that this film actually emphasizes the severity of Ariel’s choice to sell her soul and her voice for something she wants. There are various moments where she is reminded of the price she paid. I also love that Ariel is actually experiences fear and uncertainty of her time as a human, particularly when Eric walks away from her without knowing she is the girl he’s been looking for. The realistic emotions and feelings in this film are appreciated.
Id personally pay to see Scuttlebutt performed live on stage in front of all the Hollywood elite during the Oscars.

DKampy

I wholeheartedly agree with the majority of this post! Jonah Hauer-King is a fantastic and quite handsome Eric. And he can sing! “Wild Uncharted Waters” is probably my favorite new song that was written for the film. Love the emotion and longing desire for Ariel that is expressed in the song. Speaking of song and Ariel, Halle is the biggest star of the movie. Not only is she a fabulous vocalist and has the perfect siren voice, her acting was SO good. I was especially impressed by her silent scenes. I broke into tears during “Part of Your World,” and I could hear my sister crying as well. Two big babies. Ariel and Eric’s fleshed out relationship was much appreciated. They were obsessed with each other without the other knowing, which I thought was sweet, and I really liked seeing how both were grounded by their parents, despite wanting more for themselves. They are like twin flames in this movie.

Melissa McCarthy as Ursula was such a surprise! And she can sing, too! I had no clue. She KILLED “Poor Unfortunate Souls.” Absolutely loved her take on the song. I agree that the different lyrics make no difference.
With
Hate to admit it, but I loved Awkwafina as Scuttle. She herself annoys the crap out of me, but her voice and jokes did the character well. I love “The Scuttlebutt” lol. I was expecting to hate it, but I found myself moving and jamming to it. The lyrics are fun and clever. Daveed Diggs as Sebastian was nice, but not my favorite. I wanted more energy. Not sure why Flotsam and Jetsam don’t speak. I too found that strange. Didn’t hinder the film, but I love their dialogue in the animated version.

Halle is a revelation…I think a superstar is born…depending how she does In The Color Purple I could see her being nominated for an Academy award…since I believe they are hedging their bets for awards season with the Christmas Day release date

BuddyThomas

I liked it a lot.

Just last week I watched the original, and I liked the live-action better.

The CGI was great.

It wasn't all dark like people thought from the teasers. The teasers didn't do the movie justice.

Halle's songs were wonderful.

Melissa's songs and acting were fantastic (tho... her giant form CGI was a bit janky, as well as a strain for that one high note).

Speaking of straining for high notes... Eric's song's a dud. Musically weak. And his vocals were strained. Much like the added song for the Beast in BatB remake.

To have a male lead's ballad that could hold up to Halle's, you need something like from Les Miz, or To Dream the Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha. This wasn't it.

Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl were pure fun.

I liked Awkafina's dizzy Scuttle compared to Hacket's alcoholic sounding Scuttle.

Scuttlebutt, the song, was pointless.

I liked how a lot of gaping plot holes from the original were sewn up (not that all were).

I liked how Ariel was the main hero of the story (to compensate for being the immature dumb dumb who got herself into her own mess). She got to get the amulet and her voice back, and she got to do Ursula in.

All those critical points didn't detract that much. The movie overall was satisfying.
I agree with almost every single thing you said except that I think Eric's song is absolutely gorgeous, and have listened to it multiple times since seeing it - just my opinion - and I disagree with your review of Awkwafina as the bird. I really thought she was awful, and I like Awkwafina in general - she is hysterical in Nora from Queens. As you mentioned, the Scutltebutt song was pointless.

BuddyThomas

After rewatching the film today one of my biggest wishes was a song for King Triton, I think it would have been perfect to encapsulate the grief and sorrow he feels about losing Ariel and could have connected back to her mother. Definitely would feel appropriate in the scene after Triton's daughter report back to him that she's missing. Would have added a level of complexity to the character and opens the door for world being via flashbacks of a young Ariel/mother.
Very, very good point.

BuddyThomas

Halle is a revelation…I think a superstar is born…depending how she does In The Color Purple I could see her being nominated for an Academy award…since I believe they are hedging their bets for awards season with the Christmas Day release date
Agreed on all points, although Nettie's character is not generally a big physical part in The Color Purple - The supporting characters who usually get attention in the movie and the musical are Sofia and Shug Avery. But I would be thrilled if Halle gets attention for her role.

BuddyThomas

Wild Uncharted Waters should 100% be nominated for the Academy Award.

DKampy

Agreed on all points, although Nettie's character is not generally a big physical part in The Color Purple - The supporting characters who usually get attention in the movie and the musical are Sofia and Shug Avery. But I would be thrilled if Halle gets attention for her role.
Agreed…. The reason I thought it was possible… sometimes it helps to keep you in discussions…if you give two great performances in a year

Angel Ariel

If Only does this a bit in the Broadway show of Little Mermaid, if you haven’t heard it before.

Angel Ariel

What did people think of Jodi’s cameo? I knew she had one but didn’t know what form it would take, so I was waiting expectantly to see her. I thought it was very cleverly and charmingly done, and I loved the symbolism of the original Ariel handing over a dinglehopper to her successor.
Absolutely loved it! And yes totally loved the symbolism. ❤️ That was one of many tear up moments

LittleBuford

We had very similar reactions it seems, the one exception being our thoughts on Awkwafina. Perhaps I’ll warm to her performance when I rewatch it, which I’m eager to do.

And thank you for making me feel less alone in not hating “The Scuttlebutt”!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom