SPOILERS: The Mandalorian S1 Chapter 1

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Same I loved the episode! I cannot wait to learn more about Yoda's species. This is why Jon Faverau and Dave Filoni should get a movie franchise NOT Rian Johnson and the GOT Writers.

The GoT writers are out.

RJ is "in the mix" without a specific portfolio nailed down since the brakes were put on the frequency of theatrical releases.

In the meantime, we'll have to settle for dozens of hours of good Star Wars on D+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It depends on your definition. They would most likely qualify as sentient here on earth, but they don't meet the definition in the Star Wars Universe.

Thinking intelligently was part of the criteria for sentience in the Star Wars Universe as only non-sentient living beings could be used as slaves under galactic law.

BTW, @Master Yoda, what exactly is up with your species?

The Grand Inquisitor

The GoT writers are out.

RJ is "in the mix" without a specific portfolio nailed down since the brakes were put on the frequency of theatrical releases.

In the meantime, we'll have to settle for dozens of hours of good Star Wars on D+.
I meant they never should have hired the GOT writers in the first place. It seems weird they have never offered Filoni a franchise. I bet Rian's franchise will get axed like the GOT movie trilogy. I definitely cannot wait to see more Star Wars shows on Disney+. Bring on Obi-Wan!

tribbleorlfl

While I'm certainly not a ST hater, I can't deny E1 "felt" more like Star Wars than TFA and TLJ did.

Can't wait for the mystery to unfold. I already saw on Reddit that the sniveling doctor guy has a patch on his arm with a clone insignia on it. Perhaps indication that need tinyoda to rebuild the clone army?

Tanna Eros

Not really. They are listed as a non-sentient species.

I found myself feeling a little bad for the one in the cage watching his buddy being roasted. It was like the lobster tank at Red Lobster turned up to 11.
They had the look of disruptive vermin- like how some people see monkeys. It did seem rather punitive to have watch the other roast, like a punishment.
(I really! want one of those baby Yoda puppets for my dog.)

erasure fan1

I was quite happy to finally see an IG Assasin droid in action. The possibility of finally knowing Yoda's race and planet of origin was a big bonus as well.
Taika is only listed for one episode so I'm hoping they want us to think he's dead. I loved ig11 so I really hope we see more of him. And I agree, the music was probably the weakest part of the show.

Tanna Eros

Taika is only listed for one episode so I'm hoping they want us to think he's dead. I loved ig11 so I really hope we see more of him. And I agree, the music was probably the weakest part of the show.
Thanks for making me feel not bad about the music. I found myself wishing for Montenegro, or Bernstein- like, where would they get that for a TV show in this day and age?

erasure fan1

Thanks for making me feel not bad about the music. I found myself wishing for Montenegro, or Bernstein- like, where would they get that for a TV show in this day and age?
I found the music to be kind of, just there. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it just was not very memorable. Music is a big part of star wars so it was a bit disappointing. But so far everything else was so strong, I'll give the music a pass. Maybe the score will grow and come into its own as the show progresses.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yeah, I think the episode counts might be misleading. Werner Herzog's character and the Doctor character are both listed for one episode, but I can't imagine not seeing those characters again at some point.

erasure fan1

Yeah, I think the episode counts might be misleading. Werner Herzog's character and the Doctor character are both listed for one episode, but I can't imagine not seeing those characters again at some point.
Carl Weathers is also listed as 1 episode and he has been featured heavily in the promotional tour. So I'm hoping it is off. I've always been a sucker for the droids since a new hope. So I'm really hoping ig11 is still in the mix.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I found the music to be kind of, just there. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it just was not very memorable. Music is a big part of star wars so it was a bit disappointing. But so far everything else was so strong, I'll give the music a pass. Maybe the score will grow and come into its own as the show progresses.
The music on its own is fine. It just does not have a Star Wars feel to it.

MuteSuperstar

I was going back and forth on thinking the speeder pilot was either Brian Posehn or Randy Quaid (it was BP).

I liked it a lot, only quibbles were I thought the character design of the green guy at the beginning was silly/cheesy looking and the music was underwhelming as others have mentioned. But the look and feel is mostly right on and thankfully no egregiously lame/anachronistic/snarky attempts at humor or people saying stuff like "let's do this!" or "you got this". Hopefully that tone remains and they don't try to pander to modern sensibilities.

I kinda hope we never see his face.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I was going back and forth on thinking the speeder pilot was either Brian Posehn or Randy Quaid (it was BP).

I recognized Posehn when he said his first word. I kind of wish he lasted longer so we could see him again. I'm not sure how I feel yet about not seeing his face. I lean towards wanting to see him without the helmet, even if it's just when he is alone. If he ends up the good guy, that seems to be the direction it's going, seeing his face will happen in my opinion. I think you need that connection to really care for the character. If it doesn't happen, it wouldn’t be the end of the world, it can still work.

HiJe

I liked it a lot, only quibbles were I thought the character design of the green guy at the beginning was silly/cheesy looking and the music was underwhelming as others have mentioned. But the look and feel is mostly right on and thankfully no egregiously lame/anachronistic/snarky attempts at humor or people saying stuff like "let's do this!" or "you got this". Hopefully that tone remains and they don't try to pander to modern sensibilities.

I had to look it up, but the blue guy (the bounty) was Horatio Sanz from Saturday Night Live. Thought that was cool. Super cool to see Posehn also.

Incomudro

I really enjoyed the first episode.
I watched it with one of my son's - the one who is the bigger Star Wars and movie fan of my twins. (17 year old boys)
He really liked it.
It hit all the marks that he was hoping for.
We are really looking forward to the second episode.

Tanna Eros

i thought the episode was ally of fun. hopefully it keeps up the pace. officially, my wife wants a baby yoda 😜
Okay, there's two people in a forum, albeit a forum of exclusive interests, that want a baby Yoda toy.
Hey Disney Marketing Cat- you reading?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom