SPOILERS! Discussion/reaction thread for Loki streaming Marvel series on Disney+ - new episodes begin June 9th!

erasure fan1

I will say I liked this episode as an episode. But as a finale it was pretty terrible. I don't mind leaving some threads open for the next season. But this just felt incomplete. Especially with the season being only 6 episodes.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Original Poster
There was absolutely romantic chemistry between the two that we could see as early as Lamentis; I mentioned it early on in this thread, and even two weeks ago Twitter had been siding with Ravonna for pruning Loki before he said "I love you." 😂
Didn't see it AT ALL. And I ship... everybody. lol

You want to see Loki attracted to someone - check his lascivious "I like her" after Jane slapped him in Dark World. Or his ogling his brother shapeshifted into Sif's form in the same film. There's more l-u-s-t and attraction and chemistry in one sentence with each of those characters than in every moment with Sylvie in its entirety.

I'll add he also pretty clearly enjoyed being in Cap's pants. And I'll leave it at that. :D

PostScott

Loved the ep. Hiddleston said the show would change from ep5 and it sure did. Loved the introduction of Kang and he didn't even use his name.

Season 2 begins filming in Jan and crunched the numbers. If it begins filming in Jan then it'll release in early an 2023, and Antman 3's villain is Kang and that releases on Feb 17, 2021. If season 2 is 6 ep then it would end right when Antman 3 happens.

Also Spiderman NWH trailer should finally release this coming week. I;m sure they were waiting for this ep to drop and the multiverse to break.

Lucky Rabbit

I really liked the series up until the final episode which really ruined it for me. It feels like the series had no other purpose then to set things up for the next phase of the MCU. I don't mind using the series to set things up, but they need to tell their own standalone story at the same time. I also think this series catered to the comic books fans at the expense of the non-comic fans.
You’re not the only person I’ve seen express this sentiment. I’m curious what your expectations were?

From my point of view they told a complete story, and now other projects (including Loki season 2) have to deal with the fallout.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You’re not the only person I’ve seen express this sentiment. I’m curious what your expectations were?

From my point of view they told a complete story, and now other projects (including Loki season 2) have to deal with the fallout.

My expectation was that it would tell a complete story, which from my point of view it didn't.

Lucky Rabbit

My expectation was that it would tell a complete story, which from my point of view it didn't.
From my point of view the main story of season 1 was getting to the bottom of who ran the TVA. Loki initially wanted to find out for self preservation, Sylvie wanted revenge for the life she was forced to live and stop it from continuing. The puppet master is now dead. The sacred timeline is no more. Both of our main characters were changed by the journey.

Maybe you don’t have specific reasons, but I’m just trying to figure out what people were expecting. I don’t think there’s a right/wrong answer. I’m just wondering what would have completed the story for you.

Bairstow

Did Civil War tell a complete story? Because at the end of it, the Avengers were fractured and there was unresolved fallout from that to resolve.
Oh definitely. Both the dramatic arcs of Black Panther refusing to avenge his father's death and Captain America chosing Bucky over Tony were resolved clearly and with adequate space to let the stories feel resolved.

The problem with the ending to Loki isn't so much what happened but that the direction of the show didn't portray it as any sort of actual ending- the cliffhanger at the end of the sixth episode felt just like the ending of the previous five.

DonaldDoleWhip

I agree. When you compare it to WandaVision (which understandably keeps happening), WV closed out the story completely but also felt like it was missing something. Loki, on the other hand, went for a climactic cliffhanger over pure resolution but did tie up the season's central questions, while setting up some new ones.

In terms of whetting our appetites for new multiverse stories, Loki was a massive success, and I'm fine with them raising some new Loki-specific questions for S2 to resolve.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did Civil War tell a complete story? Because at the end of it, the Avengers were fractured and there was unresolved fallout from that to resolve.

Civil War from the outset was known to be a piece in a continuing story arc spanning multiple movies.

Loki was known to be a short TV series... released in bits, a format that leads people to wanting closure.

People hated the Empire Strikes Back ending too... just because it's not uncommon doesn't mean it can't be seen as a negative.

flynnibus

Premium Member

My hate is that by continuing with this Multi-verse plot tool they will get as bad as Star Trek where the answer to everything is .. TIME TRAVEL! Now the answer to every need or plot tool will be... MULTI VERSE!

flynnibus

Premium Member
No one needs to know who Kang is from the comics.

And that is because the last episode was a Kang origin story. No backstory from the comic books needed.

I don't agree - the story sets up why there is 'one guy' at the wheel... but nothing about why this guy is cool, how he did anything he did, nor really explain how he knows everything that will happen.

I think this show has dived deeper into the comic source more than any of the other MCU stuff and may be dangerously close to the tipping point where too much comics history is needed to hold things together. "fan service" is one thing.. but so much of what the comics have done to keep new content generating over decades isn't necessarily great for a MCU style continuum. My 02c

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can someone explain to me something about the void...

Didn't the TVA lady say nothing returns from the void? Then once our heros are at the void... anyone with a temp pad can just create a portal and go immediately back to the TVA? That seemed very anti-climatic.

Lucky Rabbit

Civil War from the outset was known to be a piece in a continuing story arc spanning multiple movies.

Loki was known to be a short TV series... released in bits, a format that leads people to wanting closure.

People hated the Empire Strikes Back ending too... just because it's not uncommon doesn't mean it can't be seen as a negative.
In fairness this wasn't a movie. It was Season 1 of a TV show, not a series finale. It's common for TV shows to end with a cliffhanger. Just be thankful you weren't a LOST fan, that show would have driven you nuts. The quest of Season 1 was completed. Now the fallout of completing that quest will be an interesting Season 2.

My hate is that by continuing with this Multi-verse plot tool they will get as bad as Star Trek where the answer to everything is .. TIME TRAVEL! Now the answer to every need or plot tool will be... MULTI VERSE!
You'll probably have to deal with the multiverse until they end it in a Secret Wars event film. The MCU doesn't do straight adaptations of the comics. Civil War, Infinity War, the upcoming Secret Invasion, etc. are all loose adaptations. They've teased a multiverse war in Loki and I'm guessing Kang is the new Thanos of Phase 4-5.

but nothing about why this guy is cool, how he did anything he did, nor really explain how he knows everything that will happen.
This Kang variant wasn't meant to be cool. He's not meant to be menacing or threatening. He's someone who was doing something morally bad because he felt the ends justified the means. He knew everything that was going to happen because he's been manipulating time. He kept everything on a defined path up until the meeting with Sylvie and Loki.

I don't agree - the story sets up why there is 'one guy' at the wheel... but nothing about why this guy is cool, how he did anything he did, nor really explain how he knows everything that will happen.

I think this show has dived deeper into the comic source more than any of the other MCU stuff and may be dangerously close to the tipping point where too much comics history is needed to hold things together. "fan service" is one thing.. but so much of what the comics have done to keep new content generating over decades isn't necessarily great for a MCU style continuum. My 02c
I don't think Marvel is expecting you to know comic stuff. I understand a lot of people are in the know of Kang, so it feels like comic fans have a leg up on the casual viewer. If you watched Loki that's enough to understand what's going on. For the casual viewer they probably won't need to understand that he's a big deal until Ant-Man 3. At the end of the day the show was about Loki and the decisions of Loki and Sylvie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom