Splurge on resort or something else?

meklein

Planning to celebrate my 40th birthday at WDW with my two daughters (5 & 12) in December - our favorite time of the year there! We usually save money by staying off property or if "going big" stay in a value and spend the money on lots of character meals. I want this trip to be extra special. Considering one of the deluxe resorts. I just can't decide which - I've seen several of them, but never stayed at one! Or is my money better spent in a moderate and splurge on something else (if so, what would that something else be?)? Obviously I have time, but feeling torn about whether the deluxe are REALLY that much more vavavoom. :D My kids are very easy going, and even the pre-teen loves Disney! Planning to do all the parks (the 5yo has only ever been to MK & Epcot).

Roy Teague

I would go with a moderate resort and something special like a backstage tour at one of the parks.
2a3.jpg

Upvote 0

meklein

Original Poster
We have done Cinderella's Royal Table twice before, so I agree it is great! But I love the idea of pairing it with the salon! The 12 year old would be way to cool for that :cool: but the 5 yo would love it! Funny, when I read a post to save the money and splurge on something else, I think, "oh yeah, you make a great point". But then when someone else posts that I only turn 40 once and to splurge, I think "yeah, you're right"! LOL! At least I have plenty of time to think it over!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Another one here turning 40 this year! :D

I love staying at deluxe resorts BUT we also take downtime to enjoy our resort and make sure our TS meals...at least some of them...take advantage of what's available at said deluxe. WL and AKL would also be less expensive options if you wanted to go deluxe. The Epcot resorts and the garden wing at the Contemporary are also less of a hit to the wallet than the Contemporary tower, GF, or Poly. Renting points for a studio at BLT or AKV (among others) would also save a bit.

Still, if you've never stayed at a mod, as others have noted- that might be a good splurge option too...and still afford you the ability to have special meals, a nice cake, etc. Plus the pool would still be an upgrade. And all of these places accomodate children so I wouldn't worry too much. That's not saying people should let their kids be crazy, but there are kids everywhere at all of the WDW resorts...at least from what we've seen.

Upvote 0

meklein

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on renting DVC points! That is a serious possibility - seems like a great way to get a deluxe resort at a MUCH better rate!

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Highly recommend the Wilderness Lodge, especially during this time of year. It's one of the more reasonable deluxe resorts, and you're just a boat ride from the MK. Personally, we love the feeling of staying at a deluxe resort on special occasions, and the WL is absolutely stunning around Xmas.

Upvote 0
DVC has spoiled us with the deluxe resorts. They truly are amazing in and of themselves. If you plan on taking advantage of your resort and not just mainly do the parks, then go deluxe. If you plan on spending almost all of your time at the parks, then I would say go moderate. The Deluxe resorts can offer so much. The monorail resorts offer close proximity and cool transport to MK and EPCOT. The Boardwalk takes on a personality of its own. The nighttime entertainment and atmosphere on the Boardwalk is awesome! The pool at the Beach or Yacht Club Resorts can't be beat. If you and your kids love animals, then the Animal Kingdom Lodge(one of my favorites) is spectacular. Stay at Jambo house if you go to the AKL! It has the restaurants there(except for Sanaa). The restaurants at AKL(or any deluxe resort for that matter) can be an experience all on their own. AKL(Jambo or Kidani) also has a very nice pool. Of course, no matter where you stay, being at Disney with your family, is always the best thing on earth!:)

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Renting points is a great way to save, but make sure you do so way in advance. We tried to do this for our June trip at around 7 months out and there was nothing available. Also, many of the reputable places to rent from require you to pay a substantial amount of the balance (if not all) up front.

Upvote 0

SAV

It really depends on how you vacation. If you are park commando's(like us) all we do at the resort is sleep, so for us a Deluxe would be a waste.

If you are going to take advantage of the luxuries of the deluxe, then it would be worth it for you to stay at one.

Upvote 0

Mrsdonaldduck

I would vote splurge on a deluxe but that is just our preference. We enjoy spending a half day at the park and then relaxing at the hotel in the afternoon. And then back at the park at night. So we spend a good chunk of time at the hotel. But also we go in August where it is nice to
Escape the heat midday you will
Not have that in december. We love staying monorail it feels like we are apart
Of the magic kingdom!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

It really depends on how you vacation. If you are park commando's(like us) all we do at the resort is sleep, so for us a Deluxe would be a waste.

If you are going to take advantage of the luxuries of the deluxe, then it would be worth it for you to stay at one.
What @SAV said covers it! We are park commandos so anything other than a quiet place to sleep is a waste! Do you plan on spending much time at the resort? That will answer your question. Happy birthday! 21 right?:)

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Planning to celebrate my 40th birthday at WDW with my two daughters (5 & 12) in December - our favorite time of the year there! We usually save money by staying off property or if "going big" stay in a value and spend the money on lots of character meals. I want this trip to be extra special. Considering one of the deluxe resorts. I just can't decide which - I've seen several of them, but never stayed at one! Or is my money better spent in a moderate and splurge on something else (if so, what would that something else be?)? Obviously I have time, but feeling torn about whether the deluxe are REALLY that much more vavavoom. :D My kids are very easy going, and even the pre-teen loves Disney! Planning to do all the parks (the 5yo has only ever been to MK & Epcot).
I really love the Deluxes, transportation options are wonderful, rooms are bigger, beds are nicer and the views are terrific. I love waking up in the morning, and going out on the balcony, or end my day sitting on the balcony taking it all in. My fav resort is the Poly, hands down! However having said that,, why not consider a moderate, book an Illuminations cruise, and perhaps do one of the signatures for dinner? If you're considering a Deluxe, I would book at the one that really screamed Disney to you. You could always get a tower room, theme park view and watch Wishes from the privacy of your own balcony :) It really depends what means the most to you :)

Upvote 0

Stellajack

I would definitely do the moderate and splurge in the parks (food, souvenirs,Christmas gifts, etc). On-site makes the entire experience different; but, in Dec. if you're thinking about resort pooltime as the major deciding factor (esp.with a 5 yo), then weather/temps could change everything. I would recommend AKL if you go with a deluxe.

Upvote 0

meklein

Original Poster
Highly recommend the Wilderness Lodge, especially during this time of year. It's one of the more reasonable deluxe resorts, and you're just a boat ride from the MK. Personally, we love the feeling of staying at a deluxe resort on special occasions, and the WL is absolutely stunning around Xmas.

Wilderness Lodge is probably one of the few resorts I have never even walked around to look. From the way Disney regulars seem to adore it, I know it must be special. However, just looking at the pictures online, I "don't get it". What makes this the quintessential Disney resort? (Of course so much of Disney magic doesn't translate into pictures!). Thanks!

Upvote 0

meklein

Original Poster
Renting points is a great way to save, but make sure you do so way in advance. We tried to do this for our June trip at around 7 months out and there was nothing available. Also, many of the reputable places to rent from require you to pay a substantial amount of the balance (if not all) up front.

Thank you for the tip! Right now, looks like all DVC resorts have availability in Dec., just waiting for the school calendar to be published so I feel confident of our dates - I know DVC point rentals are non-refundable!

Upvote 0

Stellajack

BTW, happy to meeet you meklein! Happy birthday in advance!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom