Split Stay Cons

SteveAZee

Original Poster
I'm thinking about a split stay (BC and OKW) for our next trip.

I'm wondering what people's experiences have been doing split stays in general... including those in suites with kitchens et. al. and moving all the 'stuff' mid vacation.

What were the cons to doing the split stay that you wish you knew beforehand?

nickys

Premium Member
Things you need to know in nclude:

- Disney won’t move refrigerated items for you. So if you have any you’ll need an Uber or similar to your new resort. Once there Bell Services will store them.

Dining and “magical experiences” will have separate booking windows.

You might not get an actual room until after 4pm - and it could be later. Pack anything like medication, swim wear etc in a day bag that you can retrieve from Bell Services.

Marionnette

I think the biggest con is packing up everything on moving day in order to be out of the room by 11:00. The last time we did a split stay, we never unpacked our suitcases. We used packing cubes to keep the clothes organized so we weren't digging through them to find what we wanted. It helped to have everything packed up the night before with the exception of necessary toiletries, an outfit for moving day and the refrigerated stuff.

Call bell services early if you intend to have them move most of your things to your next hotel. They get really busy around checkout time and you may need to wait if you don't.

We chose to do a table service breakfast at our second hotel after dropping our cold stuff off at bell services. Then, we did a resort day. Chances are very good that if you are staying DVC, your room will not be ready until 4:00 or later and your luggage will not arrive until late afternoon or early evening. Pack a day bag with what you will need for the day and bring it with you to the new hotel.

It's also important to check out of your first hotel on your last morning there so that a folio can be started for you at the next hotel. When you arrive at the second hotel, check in at the front desk. Ask for any available room unless you are particular about a view or location.

Weather_Lady

Nothing new here, but repeating for emphasis:

- Having to unpack/repack isn't much of a con, unless you pack heavily and like to spread loose items around the room. My family packs light (a single 21" bag apiece for trips of up to a week or more), uses color-coded packing cubes and zipper pouches for everything so that "unpacking" is as simple as unzipping cubes and placing them in drawers, with toiletry bags by the sink, pouches with electronics/chargers on the media cabinets or bedside tables, and breakfast foodstuffs and snacks in their own pre-packed folding rectangular bin by the coffeemaker/fridge. Packing up again, we just do the reverse , sweep the room for leftover items, and discard any perishable leftovers from the fridge, and we're good to go in all of 5 minutes.

- Not getting into your room until after 4pm can be a con, if you don't otherwise plan your day around the switch. (Also, anecdotally, DVC seems to be unusually glitchy when it comes to online checkin, and at least one CM told us that this is because their "system doesn't like split stays." (!??!) There have been multiple occasions where we never got a "room ready" text and had to go to the front desk to get our room assignment, even if the room had been ready for hours, so if you don't get one by the time you arrive at your second hotel, don't assume you don't actually have a room yet: check with the front desk.) We drop our packed bags off at Bell Services for transfer first thing in the morning, head to a park for rope drop, and plan a leisurely touring day with TS lunch and dinner reservations in the parks (or sometimes, dinner back at the hotel we're checking into) so that we can feel refreshed and energetic even without our usual daily nap/swim break. Since we're not attempting to check into the hotel until after dinner, we can rest assured that our room will be ready and our luggage will have arrived at Bell Services.

- The biggest con, and the one that has impacted us the most (although it's still not a huge deal as far as I'm concerned), is the unavailability of refrigerated grocery transfers. In order to minimize food waste, we simply start the week with just enough perishables (milk, cream cheese, etc.) to last for the first half of our split stay. For the second half, we either order a second small grocery delivery, or buy what we need in the resort grab-and-go market. All the non-perishables (including any leftover bottled water) get packed in my suitcase for the transfer.

- The multiple ADR windows can be a pain if there are any high-demand ADRs you want. If that's an issue, I suggest making a room-only reservation for a cheap room at a value resort that covers the dates of both split stays -- only those dates, and only do it if your split stay is a contiguous onsite stay with no intervening nights off-site. Then, cancel it without penalty (getting the full deposit back) as soon as you are less than 60 days away from your second split stay checkin date. The ADRs will stay in the system. (*Note: There are folks who disapprove of this practice, but Disney has no rule against it. In fact, some guest services CMs -- it all depends on who answers the phone -- will even help make these kinds of dummy reservations, in order to compensate for the fact that Disney's reservation system isn't capable of recognizing split stays as a contiguous stay onsite, for purposes of the 60+10 day ADR window to which onsite Disney Resorts guests are entitled.)

Also, I always bring a sturdy folding zippable tote bag (my current favorite is the Large-size L.L. Bean "Everyday Lightweight Tote") in my suitcase, which gets used as: (1) a beach bag when we visit the pools; (2) an overflow bag for souvenirs on the trip home, which one of my kids can bring on the plane as their "personal item"; and (3) a "split stay" bag to hold extra non-perishable groceries, souvenirs, or other items that we've acquired during the first half of a split stay, that need to be contained for transfer to the next hotel.

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
In addition to not moving refrigerated items they won't move medication and medical equipment either because they don't want be responsible if it's lost or delivered late. Some medication is also temperature sensitive and bags could be out in heat or cold. Of course, they also won't search your bag.

I've done at least a dozen split stays. The worst parts are packing and unpacking and that it feels like lost time. It's not fun not having a room when it's hot or raining or you just want to be in your room.
That said, there are plenty of benefits as well and they outweigh the negatives, imo.

Tony the Tigger

Wow, these are some great suggestions/ideas on how to handle it. Really appreciated. 😁
Based on this reply, I take it you won’t have a car. Having one makes it more or less a non-issue. We just did a value on our arrival day (basically just to sleep) then CBR for 3 nights, then AKL. Only two of us, pack up the car and go.

Didn’t have anything refrigerated, just packed up the car and moved on. At the first switch, the room wasn’t ready until 3, but we went to Epcot for lunch after checking out at 11, so that was fine.

At the second, it was pretty cold, so I called AKL to ask if they knew when our room might be ready. They said to just come on over, and that was about 10am. I recommend making that call if it matters to your daily schedule.

Side note, again if you don’t have perishables: I don’t trust them to get my luggage to my next stop in a time frame I’d prefer. One option might be to leave your bags with bell services, then go back to that hotel after a park morning, and bring your own bags on the bus or Uber to the next location.

SteveAZee

Original Poster
Based on this reply, I take it you won’t have a car. Having one makes it more or less a non-issue. We just did a value on our arrival day (basically just to sleep) then CBR for 3 nights, then AKL. Only two of us, pack up the car and go.

Didn’t have anything refrigerated, just packed up the car and moved on. At the first switch, the room wasn’t ready until 3, but we went to Epcot for lunch after checking out at 11, so that was fine.

At the second, it was pretty cold, so I called AKL to ask if they knew when our room might be ready. They said to just come on over, and that was about 10am. I recommend making that call if it matters to your daily schedule.

Side note, again if you don’t have perishables: I don’t trust them to get my luggage to my next stop in a time frame I’d prefer. One option might be to leave your bags with bell services, then go back to that hotel after a park morning, and bring your own bags on the bus or Uber to the next location.
We usually have a car, but we thought about not getting one on the next trip. We probably shouldn't try both things on the same trip... no car AND a split stay.

i<3riviera

a potential con is varying expectations of your travel group; if everyone buys in to the idea your transfer day may not be ideal, you're more likely to be pleasantly surprised by a noon check-in at OKW vs. being disappointed by a 7pm check-in

two tips for your consideration ...
  1. book a late brunch (10:30am) at a table service restaurant to give you incentive to get out of your room in time and use up some time; Olivia's wouldn't be a bad option in your case
  2. you'll have access to Stormalong Bay all day on your check-out day; planning to make your transfer day a BCV pool day until your OKW room is ready could be an effective way to keep everyone happy

Club Cooloholic

I'm thinking about a split stay (BC and OKW) for our next trip.

I'm wondering what people's experiences have been doing split stays in general... including those in suites with kitchens et. al. and moving all the 'stuff' mid vacation.

What were the cons to doing the split stay that you wish you knew beforehand?
We have done a split stay several times. Usually starting at the Poly with our family of 4 and then moving to a one bed somewhere that way we can do laundry in the room etc.
We don't really unpack in the first place. Moving rooms is never and issue but we always have a rental car to leave the stuff in.
The 2 biggest cons have been...
If you have bought any food you need to toss it or have things that are sensitive to heat( leaving it in the car is not always a great option).
#2 you will spend a few hours making this transfer, getting the new room etc, so that is vacation time you lose in the park.
That said I often find the change of scenery worth a few lost hours. It's fun to try different places. Found out we liked Saratoga a lot, best rooms we have had!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom