Splash Mountain/Uncle Remus

sbkline

Original Poster
I was at my Parents' house Sunday and my Mom came out with an old book that her Dad used to read to her when she was a child back in the 1950's. It was called "Uncle Remus Stories" or something like that, and when I saw the cover, I said "hey, it's the people from Splash Mountain!"

I have seen people here mention how Splash Mountain is based on "Song of the South", but what you might not realize (at least I didn't) is that Song of the South was an animated adaptation of the Uncle Remus stories, which were, as many "Disney" stories, "Disneyized" adaptations of older stories. Just as Disney adopted and adapted many of the old Grimm's Fairy Tales stories, apparently, the Brer Rabbit stories originated long before Disney, but Disney adopted them and created the character of "Uncle Remus". Uncle Remus was a fictional character who was reading the Brer Rabbit stories to some of the local children. He was a black former slave and the books are written as if he is reading these stories to the children. Since he is a former slave from the old south, he talks like the uneducated black slaves of the day, such as pronouncing "teeth" as "teef", etc. Therefore, the stories are hard to read...almost like trying to read a book written in old Shakespearean English. I would like to get a copy of that book just to say I have it and to be able to read it to my son, which is why my Mom dug hers out. We have a 4 month old son and Mom wants to read it to him as her Dad read to her. Her copy is all worn out around the binding and looks and feels as if it could fall apart at any time. Unfortunately, in our ultra-sensitive, politically correct society, these stories would no doubt be considered "racist" which is surely why I have never seen it at bookstores. Is anyone else familiar with "Uncle Remus" and know where I can get a copy?

I post this for two reasons. First, because I thought it an interesting bit of Disney Trivia...something that you all might find interesting if you aren't aware of it already. Secondly, to inquire if anyone knows where I can get a copy.

Lucky

The Splash Mt. gift shops have a book of these stories, but it's probably not the same one you are describing.

I've heard there are plans for an updated Song of the South, but don't know if that's a sure thing or not.

Disney has adopted and adapted many of its stories and characters as you say. Winnie the Pooh first appeared in books by A.A. Milne in 1926, and Disney bought the rights only in 1961.

Logan5

splash/remus

I have the movie on dvd ,got it off of amazon or ebay.....
You should check it out. Not the best quality,but still an amazing piece of film. A friend of mine has the book with a couple of the storys in it,and i have to agree, there writen in a very interesting vernacular.

sbkline

Original Poster
The Splash Mt. gift shops have a book of these stories, but it's probably not the same one you are describing.

Probably not. Like I said, it's probably considered very racist in today's culture, since Uncle Remus talks like the old, stereotypical black people of days gone by. I fully understand the context in which it is written and I don't have a problem with it. However, as I said, it does make it hard to read, so for that reason, I almost wouldn't mind having an updated copy with easier to read language. But I would hate to think I am helping to pander to the culture of political correctness, and I would also prefer to have the classic version, not some updated version.

sbkline

Original Poster
I have the movie on dvd ,got it off of amazon or ebay.....
You should check it out. Not the best quality,but still an amazing piece of film. A friend of mine has the book with a couple of the storys in it,and i have to agree, there writen in a very interesting vernacular.

Is that the only way to get a copy of the film? Is it not available in stores?

It's probably considered racist, too.:(

Logan5

splash/remus

yea, disney does not have any official releases on dvd yet ....

the last time was on video in the 80s ...

the one i have is watchable....you can tell it came from a vhs though...

I believe the dvd was released in the uk , but dont qoute me on that. If it was you can get a multi region dvd player and then buy it.!!!

Mecha Figment

it was a laser disk in in Europe and the copy you have is most likely derived from said disk.

and i've known about uncle remus tales since i was a kid . The wrens nest is a historical house in Atlanta and is believed to be the home where the stories were writien. I've been there several times.

Logan5

splash/remus

Whatever it was the quality is just watchable....notgood,not bad.....

but certain scenes in the film realy give you goosebumps

barnum42

Is that the only way to get a copy of the film? Is it not available in stores?
Apart from legal European VHS and Laser, pirated copies are the only ones you can buy.

Because Disney still won't release it, the pirates are making a fortune.

It's probably considered racist, too.:(

I'm sure there is more than one discussion on here arguing that angle. Personally, I don't think so. It's set at the time of slavery, so the black characters are going to be down trodden. But it's that fact that makes the Uncle Remus character so great, that despite being in such a dreadful position he maintains his honour and integrity - helping out as much as he can.

Logan5

splash/remus

well the amazing yipi dee doo da scene...

Unlce remus,and the little boy are inside this danky dark shack and the camera does a close up of remus's face and he goes "it was just one of those yipidee do da days" . In mid sentance the darkness of the cabin instantly changes around him into this amazing technicolor landscape. It is so well done. And even in my "standard" disc you can tell the amazing quality of it.
He begins singing the tune, walking down the path, talking to the animals and what not.

kcnole

yep, I really don't see it as a racist story. Uncle Remus talked like an uneducated man because his character was a former slave and would have been uneducated. The story isn't about him being uneducated though, it's about his outlook on life. I see it more as an honor to people who still see life in a grand way no matter what it's handed to them. Unfortunately there's too many PC people who want to rewrite the past and pretend it didn't happen the way it did.

sbkline

Original Poster
well the amazing yipi dee doo da scene...

Have I been hearing it wrong and saying it wrong all this time? I always thought it was "Zipidi dee doo da". :lol:

And I agree with the other posters...I don't see anything wrong with portraying a character the way he would have been in that setting. It's no more racist than old Jim in Huckelberry Finn speaking exactly the way you would expect a black man to speak in that setting.

ssidiouss@mac.c

If you use bittorrent you can dl the dvd version of Song Of The South..

I woud usually support movie companies by buying their DVDs.. but since they don't sell the movie in the USA then I guess Disney doesn't want my money.. so I have no regrets downloading and burning it.

Anyway.. I only watched half of it so far.. but I really really enjoyed what I saw so far.. I love Splash Mountain and its great to see where it all came from.

Watching this movie really makes me appreciate Splash Mountain more.. the detail they put into that ride is just amazing.. it totally captures the spirit of this movie.

hammysammy59

Song of the South is not considered racist because Uncle Remus talks in a stereotypical dialect, it's considered racist because an ex-slave is being portrayed in a role subservient to white people, and seemingly happy about being subservient.

Granted, when you put the film in it's historical context, it makes sense, but just like the all the "slap a " cartoons that came out during WWII, it's pretty cringe-inducing, historical context or not.

Having said that, I still want to see this flick, because I find ____!t like this extremely interesting--like the black centaur that was cut from Fantasia.

jimmyritt33

One thing that kind of stings me a little bit with regard to not re-releasing "the Song of the South" on DVD is the fact that Disney is selling 60th ann. statues and collectibles in the online store. I kind of think if you are going to sell these items to the public you should also offer the movie, maybe in the collector's edition series. In this hypersensitive age we live in I guess they are fearful of protesters, how sad!

sbkline

Original Poster
Granted, when you put the film in it's historical context, it makes sense, but just like the all the "slap a " cartoons that came out during WWII, it's pretty cringe-inducing, historical context or not.

I've never had a problem with "slap a " cartoons from the WWII era. In fact, it made me mad that those Bugs Bunny cartoons have since been pulled and never shown again. IMO, it's no different than the "slap a German" cartoons of the same era which, interestingly enough, are still shown. For some reason, it's okay to show cartoons where the Germans were caricatured and beat up on, but it's "offensive" to show similar ones about the Japanese. It's only because the Germans are a white, European race and, as such, are not considered a poor, oppressed minority that must be treated with kid gloves like the Japanese.

To me, the issue is very simple; we were at war with these countries and the cartoons of the day reflected that fact. The Japanese and the Germans were the enemy and they were caricatured and slapped around on in our cartoons. Big deal. So what. I say ditch this PC hogwash and show the classic Bugs Bunny cartoons again. If people find them offensive, then they shouldn't watch them. I find them funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom