News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

It doesn't matter whether it *seems* or *feels* like a recap. In reality it isn't. The queue and ride itself makes it clear it takes place after the movie.

There is no Hans, no out of control ice powers, no saving of anyone. It's a party. We're invited to a celebration at the ice palace.
Let it go is there because there was no way they were going to have a frozen attraction without it whether it makes sense or not that was probably the number 1 priority in the planning phase.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let it go is there because there was no way they were going to have a frozen attraction without it whether it makes sense or not that was probably the number 1 priority in the planning phase.
And with Festival of the Lion King, they use the songs of the movie, too.

etc98

Yes, they are destroying one of their most beloved and popular rides because they want to.
They figure, "Hey, let's dismantle one of our most popular attractions, spending millions of dollars in the process and see if it's still a draw?"
I mean that’s basically exactly what they did with Tower of Terror in DCA, and there was certainly no online petition to retheme that ride.

Kirby86

I mean that’s basically exactly what they did with Tower of Terror in DCA, and there was certainly no online petition to retheme that ride.
That was done because Chapek while he was in charge of parks wanted two things a new ride that would be able to hit an 8 month deadline for DCA, and he wanted to get Marvel into the parks. Also what makes this a harder pill to swallow is this, you can still ride the original ride with the theme intact in Florida for Tower of Terror. Once the retheming for Splash Mountain is done the only way for fans to ride the original ride is to go to Tokyo which is expensive.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Yup. That's why I said in the beginning, just bulldoze splash and start new. Even if the reskin isn't meh. It will always feel like a reskin, instead of actually doing a PatF ride justice.

I agree with this 110%. It also wouldn't force them to create a story that somehow ties into and flows with the 4 or 5 drops. What makes splash so good is that the drops aren't JUST for thrill, but tie closely to the narrative and story taking place around you. Not that they cant come up with something that makes sense.

They would never. They know the fan base will be satisfied with a few soundtrack changes and plenty of references to the PatF film. Just like Mission Breakout and incredicoaster, it'll serve several purposes for the stockholder. Advertisement, merchandising, product placement. Who cares about the quality and care of what was there before, it's all about raiding your wallet as much as possible, cutting back on expenses, at your expense, and filling you (or your child's) head with Di$ney Di$ney Di$ney properties!

erasure fan1

They would never. They know the fan base will be satisfied with a few soundtrack changes and plenty of references to the PatF film.
Oh I know they would never. Disney is all aboard the nostalgia Express. They know that more people than not will show up because it's "Disney". I fully expect this reskin to be a poop show. A small shadow of what came before it. I also expect lines as big as the usual splash lines were. Disney I'm sure expects this as well in my opinion. Do I hope it's great? Of course, I love PatF. Would I put money it's great? Absolutely not. I've said before, Disney is creatively bankrupt at this point.

Kirby86

Oh I know they would never. Disney is all aboard the nostalgia Express. They know that more people than not will show up because it's "Disney". I fully expect this reskin to be a poop show. A small shadow of what came before it. I also expect lines as big as the usual splash lines were. Disney I'm sure expects this as well in my opinion. Do I hope it's great? Of course, I love PatF. Would I put money it's great? Absolutely not. I've said before, Disney is creatively bankrupt at this point.
That's the boat I'm in. I don't want the ride to change but it's pretty much a sure thing that sometime in the future it will. Now I enjoyed PatF it's not my favorite or anything but I enjoy it enough and sure it can work as a ride. My issue is the team leading this was the team who designed Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway and honestly outside of the Pre show (which was a neat idea) and I saw the picture of Walt in his train after the ride was done nothing about it was memorable.

Disney Analyst

Todays MiceChat Disneyland update has this little nugget, which was unexpected news to me:

“It was announced last week that Splash Mountain would be going under refurbishment on January 10th and we speculated that this could be the start of the previously announced “Princess and the Frog” overlay since there was no end date and many major Disneyland projects start just after the holiday season. But this will just be a routine 6 week refurbishment. Though, we did learn that the retheme will be delayed a while longer at Disneyland and will actually start first at Walt Disney World.

Kirby86

Todays MiceChat Disneyland update has this little nugget, which was unexpected news to me:

“It was announced last week that Splash Mountain would be going under refurbishment on January 10th and we speculated that this could be the start of the previously announced “Princess and the Frog” overlay since there was no end date and many major Disneyland projects start just after the holiday season. But this will just be a routine 6 week refurbishment. Though, we did learn that the retheme will be delayed a while longer at Disneyland and will actually start first at Walt Disney World.
So the park that the retheme would better fit isn't getting it first? Granted toon town will be out of commission for a while but still. I really think the upper brass at Disney are just using a magic 8 ball to come up with the schedules.

Midwest Elitist

So the park that the retheme would better fit isn't getting it first? Granted toon town will be out of commission for a while but still. I really think the upper brass at Disney are just using a magic 8 ball to come up with the schedules.
So instead of taking down a ride that dramatically needs a full on rebuild (*cough cough* Space Mountain 1975 tracks) after Tron is up, they're going to take down a ride that doesn't need it? I guess this truly is the most important project for the company. >.>

I think the upper brass is on fire right now after the terrible Star Wars Hotel preview that they actually took it down. I don't even know what to believe anymore 🤷

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom