News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Dunston

I hope they bring back this hoodie before it closes
file_a954c16385183.jpg

Dan Deesnee

I still don't think this will ever happen in WDW. Companies bleeding cash don't close down there flagship attractions for years and drop tens of millions changing stuff that's already wildly popular.

I give it a 40% chance of happening.

Disneyland though, I could see it. And like I said before, then they can say "Well we did it. And wdw will come later." That later will never happen.

Dan Deesnee

Disney is not bleeding cash.

I'm not going to do the research for you, but yes, they are. Much, much less so than last year though. EPS is down significantly from 2018-2019.

Fact is, they bled a lot during the pandemic. That doesn't instantly get fixed when things start to improve.

"But the stock is up!" Yes, along with every other stock on the market...

wedenterprises

I'm not going to do the research for you, but yes, they are. Much, much less so than last year though. EPS is down significantly from 2018-2019.

Fact is, they bled a lot during the pandemic. That doesn't instantly get fixed when things start to improve.

"But the stock is up!" Yes, along with every other stock on the market...
Your quote was mis-attributed to me (dsinclair said it)
For the record I agree with you, they bled a lot. Yes they're still a massively rich company but they bled.

DisneyHead123

I still don't think this will ever happen in WDW. Companies bleeding cash don't close down there flagship attractions for years and drop tens of millions changing stuff that's already wildly popular.

I give it a 40% chance of happening.

Disneyland though, I could see it. And like I said before, then they can say "Well we did it. And wdw will come later." That later will never happen.
I feel like they really have to give Tiana a ride after announcing this. There’s no takebacks on an announcement like that. I suppose it’s possible they could build it elsewhere and cite vague “structural issues” or something as the reason, then rebrand Brer with a few symbolic changes.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I feel like they really have to give Tiana a ride after announcing this. There’s no takebacks on an announcement like that. I suppose it’s possible they could build it elsewhere and cite vague “structural issues” or something as the reason, then rebrand Brer with a few symbolic changes.
I still feel like it's gonna happen in DL and then might get slowly backed out of in Florida, think Main Street Theater or Reflections

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

I know that Disney has cancelled tons of things that were announced, whether they were entire parks (WestCOT), attractions, or resort hotels. That doesn’t include those plans which were far along but scuttled before being announced.

I feel like Disney has boxed themselves in with this one. Given their position that the ride includes things that are deemed offensive or non-inclusive, I don’t see how not changing it would be viewed as them not taking the issue seriously. I really don’t know how they walk that back, or that the Solomonic “just do DL and keep WDW the same” would go over for those same reasons.

CJR

I will always think of DL's Tower of Terror. It was popular, not as much as FL's, but it was still up there. They still spent a decent amount of change on it.

Probably the biggest component though, in it not happening is that Iger was a key factor in these changes and he's leaving Disney at the end of the year. Chapek is much more of a "let's look at the numbers" guy than one who does things out of moral emotion (or, read political ambitions). So without Iger around to push things like "inclusion" as he sees it, it may take a turn in Florida (at least).

With other projects happening in Florida, it's very possible that they can distract people with other announcements (from SGE replacement to DAK expansion) and people forget about Splash Mountain. One can certainly hope.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I don't think it's cancelled at this time, but the art (all of it, I believe) was for Disneyland's attraction.

If you look at the logs in the recent art work, they were single file, which matches California's version of the ride. I haven't seen any Florida-specific art to date, which given it's a different ride, it would need its own design. That's not to say they haven't done work on Florida's project, but they haven't shown much proof of it.

They also had some vague art work, multiple videos, and a D23 announcement for the Mary Poppins attraction in Epcot, which was specific to Florida. They also released art work for the Main Street Theater along with a D23 announcement. So, that doesn't really mean all that much long term if the person pushing this project won't be around to see it through and it's looking like Iger might actually be leaving this time.

It could simply, instead of getting cancelled, get pushed back for a long while in favor of other things that will do more to drive attendance and sell merchandise. Not saying that Tiana wouldn't sell merchandise, she absolutely would in the US... she already does without an attraction.

Really, if they wanted to capitalize on Tiana, from a business perspective, they need to build Tiana's Place. It doesn't have to be lumped in with the Splash Mountain project either, they could do it as its own project and give it a quicker timeline. If there's a Tiana project that I think all guests want, it's definitely that and it'll make some extra money, which I'm sure Chapek would love.
The first piece of concept art we got showed a rethemed Orlando but other than that everything has been for California

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom