• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - attraction discussion only

MansionButler84

Bob Chapek will go down as the greatest CEO of a company ever!
Real Bob Chapek logging on this morning:

1624283559324.png

The Aracuan Bird

The change is 100% happening. The problem is, it’s shortsighted. The problem with the film and the ride was not that it was an adaptation of Brer Rabbit. It’s that it was one with a great level of inaccuracies attached to it. The Disney Company has convinced the public that you can’t do Brer Rabbit without separating it from Song of the South. Anyone that knows the stories have a life before the Uncle Remus novel know that’s not true and that they are just too cowardly to take the risk and try again. Heaven forbid that more people catch on to this because that will be a massive stain on the Bob’s legacies. Unless they plead ignorance I guess, but I think one of the two knows better enough that it would be difficult.

TL;DR It’s happening, but those in charge better pray that the general public never looks beyond what they’re telling them.

BasiltheBatLord

I wouldn't be shocked if they overhaul California and the Orlando redo just kinda fades away like Reflections Resort and Main Street Theater
A lot of the folks seem to have convinced themselves that this is what’s happening. I still think it’s hard to imagine Splash staying, the media and woke activists won’t let them quietly get away with that after they’ve already made that first announcement.

I think both attractions are done for, even if one has to wait years after the other to get changed. I hope I’m wrong.

doctornick

A lot of the folks seem to have convinced themselves that this is what’s happening. I still think it’s hard to imagine Splash staying, the media and woke activists won’t let them quietly get away with that after they’ve already made that first announcement.

I think both attractions are done for, even if one has to wait years after the other to get changed. I hope I’m wrong.

to be fair, despite it being obvious what the motivation is, Disney never claimed that Splash was a “problem” but framed it more as a way to get Tiana in the parks to be more inclusive. So in theory I think they could “get away” with not changing Splash if they were more inclusive elsewhere - adding in Tiana or maybe something based on Soul somewhere else. I think that would be the most likely way to drown out potential criticism if they wanted to keep Splash.

BasiltheBatLord

to be fair, despite it being obvious what the motivation is, Disney never claimed that Splash was a “problem” but framed it more as a way to get Tiana in the parks to be more inclusive. So in theory I think they could “get away” with not changing Splash if they were more inclusive elsewhere - adding in Tiana or maybe something based on Soul somewhere else. I think that would be the most likely way to drown out potential criticism if they wanted to keep Splash.
The CEO is on camera now specifically saying that Splash is a "problem", so I dunno if that would work.

jt04

Updating Splash is simply the right thing to do. It shouldn't be conflated with woke-ism.

If the don't want to use PatF at the MK because they don't want to update the land to make it blend in, then there are other franchise possibilities.

Making attractions that are more representative of society is an honorable goal. And overdue in the parks for sure.

SamusAranX

Updating Splash is simply the right thing to do. It shouldn't be conflated with woke-ism.

If the don't want to use PatF at the MK because they don't want to update the land to make it blend in, then there are other franchise possibilities.

Making attractions that are more representative of society is an honorable goal. And overdue in the parks for sure.

The attraction is literally full of animals. Animal tales with origins among persons of color.

If it was full of white characters, you could make that argument.

Animaniac93-98

the media and woke activists won’t let them quietly get away with that after they’ve already made that first announcement.

I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen? It trends on twitter for a day? People cancel trips they never booked to begin with?

The ride continues to operate on a daily basis on both coasts and people keep coming to the parks. Splash has never stopped them.

There's a huge mental disconnect between the online discourse surrounding the ride and what actually happens at the parks.

jt04

The attraction is literally full of animals. Animal tales with origins among persons of color.

If it was full of white characters, you could make that argument.

That was referring to all theme park attractions going forward not specifically the problems with Splash. For instance they could build an entirely new attraction featuring Tiana in DHS or Fantasyland. And Splash and the immediate area could be converted to a Critter Country miniland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom