Splash Mountain qeuestion

imagineer boy

Original Poster
How does the second drop on Splash Mountain work? I read somewhere that the logs somehow work their way onto rollercoaster tracks. How do they do this?

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by imagineer boy
How does the second drop on Splash Mountain work? I read somewhere that the logs somehow work their way onto rollercoaster tracks. How do they do this?

That's exactly right. In fact, the ride was running this winter, during the re-hab, with no water on the main drop.

There are guides on the side of the logs, and they slip into guides on the main drop. It keeps the log slightly above the water trough, so that there is no hydroplaning or resistance - thus, the log can attain maximum speed. If it simply laid on the water trough of the hill, it would be bumpy and slow. It could also come off of the hill if all conditions were right (wind, angle, water, etc).

As to HOW? They just slip into the guides as you come over the peak of the hill and start heading down.

imagineer boy

Original Poster
Thanks for that very interesting info, but I'm talking about the second drop where you go on the bunny hop hill in the dark.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, there are coaster `style` wheels under the logs, below the guides edwardtc mentioned. They are underwater, out of guests view. Look at the photo on page 21 of the Parks and Resorts Report on Safety manual (downloadable PDF from www.disneyworld.com)

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by imagineer boy
Thanks for that very interesting info, but I'm talking about the second drop where you go on the bunny hop hill in the dark.

Oh, sorry, i misread.

If you're talking about the one that goes down and back up real quick, in the dark, then yes, it also has guides. Like marni said, there are also wheels on the logs, on the sides (and perhaps the bottom). That drop has no water in it - the logs only roll through it.

Also note that the only reson that drop is in the ride is to get you under the train tracks. In that dark area, you're passing under the tracks and go back up. Then, you go down the next hill and you can see the big black wall, which is the tracks again.

Marni, can you provide a link to that Safety Report please. I couldn't find it.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by marni1971
edwardtc - Have a look here:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/genPage?id=ParkSafetyPage

BTW - does anyone have a reliable ride plan/layout in 2d/3d of WDWs Splash? I have one, but its incomplete.

That's cool. How do you get to their other reports? I know they have stockholders reports, and many others - but they're hard to find.

Also, where did you acquire your Splash layout? I found a site that sells ride blueprints, but they never reply to emails.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For TWDC reports, go here

http://disney.go.com/home/today/index.html

and choose from the `Inside the Company Directory` bar at the bottom.

I got the Splash plan - and others (similar in style to the Germany one in my photos) out of cyberspace. Nothing to authenticate it, but form what I can see (and of the others) its correct. The Splash plan just has one level of track on it though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom