splash mountain merch

tissandtully

I got a pretty neat mug there last year. It was one of the only good pieces of attraction-specific merchandise I could find.

400005112546.jpg

400005112546-1.jpg

Also, @WDWFigment, I'm not sure if your wife would be happy or upset to hear that when I googled "splash mountain mug" a picture of her was in the top ten results ;)

I think he'd be happy to know his SEO was working.

stevehousse

The movie Song of the South isn't a racist movie. Yes it does deal with race issues and slavery, but I would hardly call the film racist, especially not the brear rabbit shorts in the film.

I remember as a kid watching those brear shorts on the Disney channel back in the day!!! I don't think Disney would play racist content on a kids channel and it really bugs me that people assume without even seeing the damn thing.

I totally understand that in today's society, having a movie based on slavery presented by a children's film company can look "bad" and that is why it is "banned" or never going to be rereleased.

The way everyone overreacts to the film makes it sound like you see the main black character getting whipped and the children calling him the n word which is far from the truth to those who have actually seen it...

I believe you can watch it on YouTube. Go watch it first and then make your judgments...

Dave Disney

I've been trying to find one of the Splash Mountain shower curtains from the Port Orleans River Side on eBay forever...anyone ever come across one?

Yert3

The movie Song of the South isn't a racist movie. Yes it does deal with race issues and slavery, but I would hardly call the film racist.
It actually takes place in the reconstruction era after slavery has been made illegal, hence why Uncle Remus is able to leave the plantation. All the black workers are not slaves but sharecroppers. So the movie actually has nothing to do with slavery. The fact that it does is a big misconception. Walt said that he never included these details in the movie because "he thought people would be smart enough to tell the difference."

stevehousse

It actually takes place in the reconstruction era after slavery has been made illegal, hence why Uncle Remus is able to leave the plantation. All the black workers are not slaves but sharecroppers. So the movie actually has nothing to do with slavery. The fact that it does is a big misconception. Walt said that he never included these details in the movie because "he thought people would be smart enough to tell the difference."

Too bad people aren't smart enough.

And even though it takes place during the "reconstruction era" it still is dealing with tht subject of surrounding slavery...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

And even though it takes place during the "reconstruction era" it still is dealing with tht subject of surrounding slavery...
Don't ignore the past, but deal with it, on your own pace. Once you deal with it, you are free of it; and you are free to embrace your life and be a happy loving person because if you don't, the past will come back to haunt and keep coming back to haunt you. - Boris Kodjoe

stevehousse

Don't ignore the past, but deal with it, on your own pace. Once you deal with it, you are free of it; and you are free to embrace your life and be a happy loving person because if you don't, the past will come back to haunt and keep coming back to haunt you. - Boris Kodjoe

Seeing as how my stepdad and half sister are black, I am over it!

Doesn't mean we can't talk about it. It's apart of our history...ignoring it won't make it go away...

Yert3

From wikipedia:
"The setting of the film is the deep South of the Reconstruction era.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] Harris' original Uncle Remus stories were all set after theAmerican Civil War and the abolition of slavery (Harris himself, born in 1845, was a racial reconciliation activist writer and journalist of the Reconstruction era). The film makes several indirect references to the Reconstruction era: clothing is in the newerlate-Victorian style; Uncle Remus is free to leave the plantation at will; black field hands are sharecroppers, etc.[15]"

tl77

So what do they sell at the Briar Patch now? Back when it opened it was loaded with Splash Mountain merch, I got a big Brer Fox plush there... it seems kind of dumb that the store themed to the ride doesn't carry stuff from the ride, like getting of PotC and ending up in a generic gift shop

aladdin2007

So what do they sell at the Briar Patch now? Back when it opened it was loaded with Splash Mountain merch, I got a big Brer Fox plush there... it seems kind of dumb that the store themed to the ride doesn't carry stuff from the ride, like getting of PotC and ending up in a generic gift shop

Mostly baby and kiddie items. :rolleyes:

stevehousse

From wikipedia:
"The setting of the film is the deep South of the Reconstruction era.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] Harris' original Uncle Remus stories were all set after theAmerican Civil War and the abolition of slavery (Harris himself, born in 1845, was a racial reconciliation activist writer and journalist of the Reconstruction era). The film makes several indirect references to the Reconstruction era: clothing is in the newerlate-Victorian style; Uncle Remus is free to leave the plantation at will; black field hands are sharecroppers, etc.[15]"

I do not know how to make this more clear, but yes, the movie takes place after slavery was abolished, but the reconstruction era still deals with the subject of slavery indirectly...I know the movie doesn't deal wih the subject directly, but that time period deals with the aftermath .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom