Splash Mountain is open

FettFan

The good news is that Galaxy's Edge as a whole really wouldn't need to change much. Black Spire Outpost would theoretically exist during the classic trilogy. Just get rid of Kylo Ren, pop Darth Vader in there, and then re-program Rise of the Resistance to be "Escape from the Death Star" or some such, and have the finale be a loving tribute to the original Star Tours.

Oh and "Chewbacca Mode" will be the new standard for Smugglers Run. Hooray!

Brer Oswald

It sucks when you ride something during a trip to WDW, and it's the last time you are able to ride before you go home, and then find out later that it's closing/completely changing and that it was the last time you will ever ride it. That happened for me with GMR 3 years ago.

Just make sure you don't sing too loud, though-my DD and I were singing the song in POTC and speaking along with the dialogue-not loud at all, as we could still clearly hear the sounds while singing-and the young lady in front of us turned around and said, quite passive aggressively, "Could you keep it down? We're trying to hear the ride. Thanks." Needless to say, there were a couple of birds being flipped at her after she turned around.
I always ride it like it’s the last time I’ll go on it. First ride of the trip and last ride of the trip.

On a side note, after it closes, I’m not sure that there will be a reason to even visit the WDW property. What’s left there that Disneyland won’t have? Disneyland has the better Pirates, Small World and Fantasyland rides. They will have all of DHS’s big E Tickets shortly. And now both Splash’s are going to be exactly the same?

What’s left? A butchered Spaceship Earth? Living With the Land? The Peoplemover?
CBJ and CoP are allegedly on the chopping block. Guardians and Tron look like they’ll be fun the first time, but shallow experiences overall. I guess you have the humidity. That’s a bonus! :hilarious:

It sucks when you ride something during a trip to WDW, and it's the last time you are able to ride before you go home, and then find out later that it's closing/completely changing and that it was the last time you will ever ride it. That happened for me with GMR 3 years ago.

Just make sure you don't sing too loud, though-my DD and I were singing the song in POTC and speaking along with the dialogue-not loud at all, as we could still clearly hear the sounds while singing-and the young lady in front of us turned around and said, quite passive aggressively, "Could you keep it down? We're trying to hear the ride. Thanks." Needless to say, there were a couple of birds being flipped at her after she turned

that’s so true

Last edited:

FettFan

I'm doing my best to get an update on that later today.

Hey man, I heard a rumor that the original "Replace Splash" petition was actually started by someone within Imagineering.
The allegation was that Disney didn't want to face a backlash, so they started the petition themselves to show that there was popular support, and that's why the concept art was released barely two weeks after the petition went live.

I asked the person where he got his information, but so far he hasn't provided a source.

Do you know anything about this?

WDW Pro

Hey man, I heard a rumor that the original "Replace Splash" petition was actually started by someone within Imagineering.
The allegation was that Disney didn't want to face a backlash, so they started the petition themselves to show that there was popular support, and that's why the concept art was released barely two weeks after the petition went live.

I asked the person where he got his information, but so far he hasn't provided a source.

That's news to me. I do know the concept art was rushed into production based on blue sky docs from a year ago. Do you have a name for me to check(?)... otherwise I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere.

Brer Oswald

I wouldn’t think so. I do know that the Armchair Pitch that started the whole “uproar” was done by a Disneyland Cast Member who works at Galaxy’s Edge. He advertised his name and position on his Twitter bio.

I made a comment on how it probably wasn’t wise to make that big pitch with his job title advertised. He smugly pointed to WDW Pro’s post on here about the representation committee. I then pointed out that his big boss, D’Amaro, seemed to be against it. He then removed all mention of the fact that he was a Cast Member from the bio.

I certainly don’t believe he was put up to this by Disney. But perhaps a team leader with some inside knowledge encouraged he share it? Idk probably just a coincidence.

The most ridiculous thing regarding the matter was a claim that I (or at least I assume it was referring to me) was trying to get him fired with those comments. :rolleyes:

The exact opposite. I wouldn’t want someone to get in trouble for something silly like that. I’m certainly not THAT petty. But people really don’t like me. 🤷‍♂️

FettFan

That's news to me. I do know the concept art was rushed into production based on blue sky docs from a year ago. Do you have a name for me to check(?)... otherwise I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere.

No name. It was a guy on YouTube on one of the many Splash tribute videos that popped up in the wake of the announcement.

I asked for his source, got no answer. And now I can't find the comment.

FettFan

Also... again from the cynical, razor-sharp jagged chunk of obsidian in my chest that replaced my heart some time ago, this just feels like Disney Co saying "hey black people, are we good now?" instead of actually doing due justice to a really good animated movie...one of Disney's LAST animated movies before shutting down 2D animation entirely. (I think Winnie The Pooh was afterwards, yes?)

Ideally, I'd put PatF a brand new attraction on Tom Sawyer Island (because let's face it, very few kids know Tom Sawyer these days), and then turn Splash into a new variation of Western River Expedition.
western-river-expedition-disney-d23-expo-2013.jpg

because WRE was supposed to be there anyway, they even made animatronics for it that ended up being repurposed for other attractions once WRE was cancelled. The Bison in Living With the Land were meant for WRE, as well as the train robbery scene from World Of Motion.

Brer Oswald

Also... again from the cynical, razor-sharp jagged chunk of obsidian in my chest that replaced my heart some time ago, this just feels like Disney Co saying "hey black people, are we good now?" instead of actually doing due justice to a really good animated movie...one of Disney's LAST animated movies before shutting down 2D animation entirely. (I think Winnie The Pooh was afterwards, yes?)

Ideally, I'd put PatF a brand new attraction on Tom Sawyer Island (because let's face it, very few kids know Tom Sawyer these days), and then turn Splash into a new variation of Western River Expedition.
western-river-expedition-disney-d23-expo-2013.jpg

because WRE was supposed to be there anyway, they even made animatronics for it that ended up being repurposed for other attractions once WRE was cancelled. The Bison in Living With the Land were meant for WRE, as well as the train robbery scene from World Of Motion.
Or just keep Splash as it is, since the Brer Rabbit tales are still African American Folklore tales. Fix what doesn’t work, keep what does. Clearly a lot did work as it delighted folks for 30 years.

I get the significance of giving a property with a black lead a place in the parks. We do need more of that. But to ignore the importance of the Brer Rabbit tales is maddening. The Brer Rabbit character is far more significant to African American culture than Princess Tiana. Just because they didn’t stick the landing with the first adaptation (SotS), doesn’t mean they didn’t with the second adaptation (Splash Mtn). I’m beginning to sound like a broken record, but I feel very strongly about this.

FettFan

Or just keep Splash as it is, since the Brer Rabbit tales are still African American Folklore tales. Fix what doesn’t work, keep what does. Clearly a lot did work as it delighted folks for 30 years.

I get the significance of giving a property with a black lead a place in the parks. We do need more of that. But to ignore the importance of the Brer Rabbit tales is maddening. The Brer Rabbit character is far more significant to African American culture than Princess Tiana. Just because they didn’t stick the landing with the first adaptation (SotS), doesn’t mean they didn’t with the second adaptation (Splash Mtn). I’m beginning to sound like a broken record, but I feel very strongly about this.

That and why should Disney ask us to accept losing an attraction to gain an attraction?
There was plenty enough room in Fantasyland to build Winnie the Pooh and keep Mr. Toad going at the same time.
Plenty enough room to build a meet and greet area but still have Snow White's Scary Adventure. In fact, Snow White wasn't going to be touched at all until 7 Dwarfs Mine Train was greenlit. Then it was like "Nope! Too many rides! Just be happy you're getting Little Mermaid."

Brer Panther

Plenty enough room to build a meet and greet area but still have Snow White's Scary Adventure. In fact, Snow White wasn't going to be touched at all until 7 Dwarfs Mine Train was greenlit. Then it was like "Nope! Too many rides! Just be happy you're getting Little Mermaid."
The frustrating thing about Snow White isn't that they closed it because they thought having two Snow White rides in Fantasyland would be redundant. The frustrating thing is that they COULD'VE replaced it with another dark ride, but instead put a meet-and-greet of all things in that space. It's like if they tore out Peter Pan's Flight just so they could stick a gift shop in it.

JIMINYCR

Just make sure you don't sing too loud, though-my DD and I were singing the song in POTC and speaking along with the dialogue-not loud at all, as we could still clearly hear the sounds while singing-and the young lady in front of us turned around and said, quite passive aggressively, "Could you keep it down? We're trying to hear the ride. Thanks." Needless to say, there were a couple of birds being flipped at her after she turned around.
We missed out on getting our last ride on the GMR when Dis decided to close it as well. :mad::mad: At least when youve had multiple past trips you can remember the many ride throughs youve gotten.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I always ride it like it’s the last time I’ll go on it. First ride of the trip and last ride of the trip.

On a side note, after it closes, I’m not sure that there will be a reason to even visit the WDW property. What’s left there that Disneyland won’t have? Disneyland has the better Pirates, Small World and Fantasyland rides. They will have all of DHS’s big E Tickets shortly. And now both Splash’s are going to be exactly the same?

What’s left? A butchered Spaceship Earth? Living With the Land? The Peoplemover?
CBJ and CoP are allegedly on the chopping block. Guardians and Tron look like they’ll be fun the first time, but shallow experiences overall. I guess you have the humidity. That’s a bonus! :hilarious:

I'd say Tower of Terror but that's been completely neglected. RNR is still in good shape.

Expedition Everest except you have to get over the coaster vibration, dull paint, and broken yeti. Dinosaur except it's hardly operational.. At this point DAK is a over glorified zoo.

Brer Oswald

I'd say Tower of Terror but that's been completely neglected. RNR is still in good shape.

Expedition Everest except you have to get over the coaster vibration, dull paint, and broken yeti. Dinosaur except it's hardly operational.. At this point DAK is a over glorified zoo.
I guess that, on the bright side, that Indy reno of Dinosaur is probably scrapped for the foreseeable future.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

Everest doesnt look too bad, aside from the hairties and of course the 4 ton furry paperweight

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom