Splash Mountain Audio Mystery

SuddenStorm

OH MY GOD! Thank you so much for bringing this to light! This had been bothering me for years on end and I'm so happy to finally have an answer. After all this time I guess we can finally call this case closed.

We still don't know why they decided to use it in the Medley release instead of the alligator. But I suspect we'll never be able to find that answer.

SuddenStorm

The roadrunner would actually make a lot of sense, isn't he placed in kind of an awkward spot where it seems like he's supposed to be the focus of a scene but isn't doing anything?

What's interesting though, is that the roadrunner is kinda out of the way and you pass by it so dang quick. Seems weird that the figure was considered for a speaking part.... It doesn't look like the figure there has beak motions built into it.

That might explain why they chose not to have it speaking, but I'd be very curious to know if the figure is capable of beak movements and could have the audio restored.

Phroobar

What's interesting though, is that the roadrunner is kinda out of the way and you pass by it so dang quick. Seems weird that the figure was considered for a speaking part.... It doesn't look like the figure there has beak motions built into it.

That might explain why they chose not to have it speaking, but I'd be very curious to know if the figure is capable of beak movements and could have the audio restored.
What is the Road Runner going say but Beep Beep?
giphy.gif

TROR

Back in 1988, before the Disneyland version opened, an article about the ride was featured in an issue of Disney News magazine.

At one point in the article, it says this:

So it would seem that the plan was for Brer Roadrunner - this guy, right here...

View attachment 354015

...and who is ALSO placed in-between Brer Rabbit and Brer Terrapin and the Hitchhiking Alligator - to be the one singing the verse. I do not know why they changed it.

This roadrunner ALSO appears in the Walt Disney World version, where he instead asks the riders if he can come along to the Laughing Place...

View attachment 354017

As for this other question...

I always thought the Imagineers decided after the Disneyland version was built that they looked better with the top hats (and, to be honest, I think so too). That's just my theory, though.
Good answer. I had thought this after my comment about the turtle but I couldn't figure out what kind of bird this was or how to describe its location.

Brer Panther

We still don't know why they decided to use it in the Medley release instead of the alligator. But I suspect we'll never be able to find that answer.
I personally just chalk it up to laziness. The medley also uses the instrumental "Burrow's Lament" that accompanies the vultures that they use in Florida's version, despite the fact that the Disneyland version doesn't use it.

While we're asking questions, does anyone know who provided the voices of Brer Turtle and the Hitchhiking Alligator?

ObscurityPoint

One notion I appreciate Tony Baxter doing when implementing Splash Mountain, is unifying Bear Country with New Orleans Square. Making both areas into a "Dixieland".

Disney often tends to break thematic cohesion than rectify it.
Yeah, I’m still waiting for Disney to nail down a proper transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland in some of the parks, especially Magic Kingdom. Also MK’s transition from Adventureland to Frontierland sometimes bothers me taking how close the two are, is it that noticeable over in Disneyland where things are packed even tighter? Seems like NOS helps with that.

SuddenStorm

The medley also uses the instrumental "Burrow's Lament" that accompanies the vultures that they use in Florida's version, despite the fact that the Disneyland version doesn't use it.

Doesn't the instrumental Burrow's Lament play during the lift for the final drop? Or am I thinking of a different track?

ObscurityPoint

You know when it comes down to it, I think I prefer the Florida version to the one in DL. Just feel like it is a much better ride experience. Love the exterior of DL’s though, especially how the briar patch there is less cartoony and more realistic looking.

180º

Doesn't the instrumental Burrow's Lament play during the lift for the final drop? Or am I thinking of a different track?
Yes, but I'm pretty sure the instrumental Burrow's Lament used in Disneyland is different than the one used in Florida.

There are in fact two different versions, and for some reason the Disneyland one never makes it onto official releases. The DL version is nearly just Burrow’s lament without the lyrics, while WDW’s is more of a march.

Just click play – I cued up the videos already! :)

mccgavin

Original Poster
There are in fact two different versions, and for some reason the Disneyland one never makes it onto official releases. The DL version is nearly just Burrow’s lament without the lyrics, while WDW’s is more of a march.

Huh, I never noticed that. I'm definitely used to hearing WDW's version on the soundtrack I own of DL's, but I never released it was different from what's heard on-ride. Thanks for pointing that out

Brer Panther

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the version used in Florida's was initially recorded for the California version but they didn't use it.

180º

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the version used in Florida's was initially recorded for the California version but they didn't use it.
I suspect that was back when “Sooner or Later” was to go in. With Burrow’s Lament, it makes sense to use a matching instrumental.

SuddenStorm

Man, how have I not noticed there's a difference between the Medley version and ride version. All this does is make me want Disney to put out a more accurate track.

SuddenStorm

Hey, everybody!

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I thought @mccgavin and others might be interested. I run a YouTube channel where I analyze Disney music and recently interviewed the sound designer/ex-Imagineer Greg Meader. Since he happened to work on WDW's Splash Mountain, I asked him about this thread/the audio mystery and his specific experience. There was also some interesting info about how the arrangement for WDW's Splash was made!

You can find this here:

Splash mountain section begins around 14:30!

You went through the whole thread and didn't realize we were talking about Disneyland's Splash Mountain, not Disney World?

SuddenStorm

You bumped the thread to say that?

A poster by the name of @0ogabooha bumped the thread with this comment:

Hey, everybody!

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I thought @mccgavin and others might be interested. I run a YouTube channel where I analyze Disney music and recently interviewed the sound designer/ex-Imagineer Greg Meader. Since he happened to work on WDW's Splash Mountain, I asked him about this thread/the audio mystery and his specific experience. There was also some interesting info about how the arrangement for WDW's Splash was made!

You can find this here:

Splash mountain section begins around 14:30!

They have since deleted the Youtube video. My comment was in response to their Youtube video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom