Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Roger_the_pianist

Wondering if Disney would ever think of releasing Song of the South with full commentary throughout with a panel of folks qualified to address the issues. It would be released in a way that you couldn't turn off the commentary, perhaps like a documentary running alongside the film. I feel like this might have been what Whoopi was suggesting when she became a Disney Legend. I've seen an insightful documentary on YouTube, not sure who made it. That documentary dealt a lot with the back and forth on disagreements among the consultants to the film. Apparently the film we finally got would have been even more problematic with the original script.

My jumping off points for the panel would be Whoopi, Queen Latifah (who portrayed Hattie McDaniel in the Netflix "Hollywood" series) and other actors, film historians, and civil rights activists.

There could be a feature segment about Splash Mountain, why it happened in the first place, and why it was realized that the ride/merch/use of characters needed to change.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

If only Disney would've bought Fox sooner instead of Star Wars and Marvel when the DVD and Bluray market was still healthy. Maybe we could've gotten a "Disney Vault" line like what WB does with WB Archives to be able to sell the niche titles in their massive library they aquired. Song of the South would make a lot of sense to release exclusively through manufactured on demand disks aimed at collectors.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I had a dream that I was at D23 and Chapek was on stage and he announced Splash would close in Late 2021 at Disneyland. That's when people started booing and throwing Br'er Rabbit plushes at him. The dream ended with him in the fetal position buried in plushes crying "Save me Moana"

truecoat

Wondering if Disney would ever think of releasing Song of the South with full commentary throughout with a panel of folks qualified to address the issues. It would be released in a way that you couldn't turn off the commentary, perhaps like a documentary running alongside the film. I feel like this might have been what Whoopi was suggesting when she became a Disney Legend. I've seen an insightful documentary on YouTube, not sure who made it. That documentary dealt a lot with the back and forth on disagreements among the consultants to the film. Apparently the film we finally got would have been even more problematic with the original script.

My jumping off points for the panel would be Whoopi, Queen Latifah (who portrayed Hattie McDaniel in the Netflix "Hollywood" series) and other actors, film historians, and civil rights activists.

There could be a feature segment about Splash Mountain, why it happened in the first place, and why it was realized that the ride/merch/use of characters needed to change.

They should just have Dave Chappelle do the commentary.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

Sounds as much fun as a tax audit.

CaptinEO

This is silly. I always found it ignorant when adults have to explain context for a piece of media for other adults to watch.

If someone didn't attend their Jr High history classes it's not Disney's job to explain the past.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
This is silly. I always found it ignorant when adults have to explain context for a piece of media for other adults to watch.

If someone didn't attend their Jr High history classes it's not Disney's job to explain the past.
The thing is, the American education system is trash and oftentimes doesn’t extensively cover slavery and the Reconstruction era.

How is explaining context an ignorant thing?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It absolutely does cover these eras.
I said EXTENSIVELY. What’ll usually happen is teachers will go over some basic information and move on. Black history in general is not extensively covered in K-12 and students will usually have to major in African American studies or take an entire course on African American history in college to obtain the missing pieces.

The fact that you think it’s “ignorant” and “silly” for context surrounding a film to be provided is very strange, but also unsurprising.

Roger_the_pianist

No racial groups *should* be given preferential treatment, but white men are obviously given that advantage. *Should* groups that have been victim to this treatment have their histories revisited and approached with new perspective? Yes.

It's particularly eerie to see posts like this from an avatar that is the ghost of a carpetbagger 😶

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
High School US history is a survey course. Nothing is covered extensively.
Right, which is basically the same thing I said.

So to assume that people don’t need and shouldn’t need context surrounding slavery in the U.S., the Reconstruction era, Joel Chandler Harris and his appropriating of African/African American stories, etc. because they learned some of it when they were between the ages of 10 and 14 doesn’t make sense. There are plenty of details of historical incidents, both big and small, that not everyone knows about and will probably never know about. Therefore a segment or context surrounding the topics listed above, or any topic, will always be beneficial for some people.

Roger_the_pianist

History is going to be taught differently in every classroom across the country. Even with standardized curriculum you are going to have personal bias of a teacher showing.

I had a high school biology teacher breeze through evolution then talk about 7 days of creation.

8th grade is often colonialism to the Civil War, Junior year of high school is Civil War to current, without much time spent on Reconstruction. I think most Americans don't have a good concept of what was going on in the post Civil War era. I lived in Atlanta for a year and would often joke that the city is STILL under Reconstruction (because of cranes and building projects everywhere) but in reality it is still very much socially under Reconstruction.

If Song of the South and the second act of Gone With the Wind are our best understandings of Reconstruction, that's very skewed.

As it relates to Splash Mountain, it IS BASED ON Song of the South. Any argument that it is not is absurd. Someone on this forum literally posted the guide map description which at WDW mentioned Song of the South but didn't mention the film at DL.

So Splash Mountain is the skewed Reconstruction era attraction.

CaptinEO

I said EXTENSIVELY. What’ll usually happen is teachers will go over some basic information and move on. Black history in general is not extensively covered in K-12 and students will usually have to major in African American studies or take an entire course on African American history in college to obtain the missing pieces.

The fact that you think it’s “ignorant” and “silly” for context surrounding a film to be provided is very strange, but also unsurprising.
At least in California it is standardized what is taught and slavery, reconstruction, and civil rights were topics that were extensively taught, at least in my schooling.

Having people put things into context is assuming that your audience is ignorant or unintelligent. Reminds me of Disneys disclaimers that drinking and smoking are bad. Now everyone including grown adults have to get a message for preschoolers.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
At least in California it is standardized what is taught and slavery, reconstruction, and civil rights were topics that were extensively taught, at least in my schooling.

Having people put things into context is assuming that your audience is ignorant or unintelligent. Reminds me of Disneys disclaimers that drinking and smoking are bad. Now everyone including grown adults have to get a message for preschoolers.
I can tell you you weren’t given an extensive lesson on African American history in any of your K-12 schooling. None of us were.

What you’re saying isn’t making any sense. According to your logic, adults shouldn’t be watching any documentaries on topics that may have been glossed over in K-12 schooling because we learned it all (which we didn’t), and people who make documentaries or put together any kind of media surrounding historical events, people, places, etc. are wrong for assuming that adults may not know some of the information included in said project.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I guess it's only ok for something to be put into context if it's a context you agree with.
Or something that includes information that no adult ever has learned, despite the fact that adults didn’t learn every little thing in K-12. There’s no point in general education classes in college then because what more could one possibly learn?

Make it make sense.

celluloid

History is going to be taught differently in every classroom across the country. Even with standardized curriculum you are going to have personal bias of a teacher showing.

I had a high school biology teacher breeze through evolution then talk about 7 days of creation.

8th grade is often colonialism to the Civil War, Junior year of high school is Civil War to current, without much time spent on Reconstruction. I think most Americans don't have a good concept of what was going on in the post Civil War era. I lived in Atlanta for a year and would often joke that the city is STILL under Reconstruction (because of cranes and building projects everywhere) but in reality it is still very much socially under Reconstruction.

If Song of the South and the second act of Gone With the Wind are our best understandings of Reconstruction, that's very skewed.

As it relates to Splash Mountain, it IS BASED ON Song of the South. Any argument that it is not is absurd. Someone on this forum literally posted the guide map description which at WDW mentioned Song of the South but didn't mention the film at DL.

So Splash Mountain is the skewed Reconstruction era attraction.
Yes, it fits in in the same way that the entire Magic Kingdom is American Heritage Mythology skewed. It does not make it inherently wicked. Old stories from the "old country" we hold onto with a fanciful fairytale view of Europe as one large land. The Old Frontier, but more of what we know from folk stories and the Hollywood western serials than of our actual Davy Crockett, or Main Street USA being a paved version that transcends time period where everyone is smiling and wearing fresh pressed clothes and singing in barbershop quartets that only nostalgia could provide.
It is nothing new.

CaptinEO

I can tell you you weren’t given an extensive lesson on African American history in any of your K-12 schooling. None of us were.

What you’re saying isn’t making any sense. According to your logic, adults shouldn’t be watching any documentaries on topics that may have been glossed over in K-12 schooling because we learned it all (which we didn’t), and people who make documentaries or put together any kind of media surrounding historical events, people, places, etc. are wrong for assuming that adults may not know some of the information included in said project.
I was given extensive education on this subject in multiple classes, elementry, jr high, highschool, and college.

I am not talking about documentaries at all. If someone wants to learn more about something a documentary is a nice entry level lesson in it.

I'm saying context is something that should be given externally to the source material if the person so chooses to seek it out. I don't need Disney to tell me how drinking is bad (while they sell alcohol in their parks) and why red native americans in Peter Pan are wrong. It ruins the original entertainment when you give safety warnings and elementry school life lessons to adults.

It'd be like telling me the sky is blue everytime I went outside.

It would be like Disney also having a mandarory video to tell us why eating high calorie food is bad, regardless of what shape you are in.

At the end of the day we are responsible for ourselves. If someone can't tell right from wrong, no disclaimer is going to change their tune.

If someone can't figure out things were different in the past, it's not Disney's obligation to explain world history to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom