Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You think his Oscar winning performance is more unbearable than calling black people "apes" and claiming they can't read nor write nor manage money? Blackface and a minstrel routine is more acceptable because they're likeable? The biggest sin in SOTS is showing happy farm hands and avoiding the topic of slavery. Dumbo has active racism rather than racism through omission.
Yep. Black Americans have been getting called apes and monkeys since the slave ships. Same thing with being called uneducated (again, this is nothing new, as black Americans were denied a proper education and any education at all sometimes). The crows in Dumbo are representations of old, unoriginal stereotypes of African Americans. I said nothing about blackface and minstrel being acceptable and likable. I said specifically Jim Crow and his pals are more likable, and I’m sticking to that. I actually do like the crows, to an extent, despite the obvious caricature crap.

That’s the biggest “sin” for you in SotS. Remus as a whole is, once again, personally unbearable for me. He is the epitome of an Uncle Tom, house *****, and they are the worst. Even worse than members of other races who are racist against white people. I’d rather watch old and tired minstrel-like depictions of African Americans than watch an African American character who capes for white people, abandons their own, and is still supposed to be seen as a good, moral person. The message that something like this sends out is more dangerous than a minstrel-like performance. Remus is even worse in Harris’ texts. Disney toned the character down, but he’s still a big no-no for me.

No, thanks.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The crows in Dumbo are representations of old, unoriginal stereotypes of African Americans. I said nothing about blackface and minstrel being acceptable and likable. I said specifically Jim Crow and his pals are more likable, and I’m sticking to that. I actually do like the crows, to an extent, despite the obvious caricature crap.
Well, the *do* smoke. And that makes them look cool!!

BasiltheBatLord

I'm still lost on what the problem is with Splash Mountain, after 130 pages.

If the issue is Uncle Remus and the interpretation of the Br'er Characters, what would an "okay" Splash Mountain look like?

Remus is already nowhere in the ride. In this theoretical "appropriate" telling of the stories, the Br'er characters would have different designs and the songs from the movie wouldn't be there?

That's what people are complaining so much about?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm still lost on what the problem is with Splash Mountain, after 130 pages.

If the issue is Uncle Remus and the interpretation of the Br'er Characters, what would an "okay" Splash Mountain look like?

Remus is already nowhere in the ride. In this theoretical "appropriate" telling of the stories, the Br'er characters would have different designs and the songs from the movie wouldn't be there?

That's what people are complaining so much about?
I think it’s obvious that Disney wants absolutely nothing to do with SotS. Hence why Splash is going.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

If that was the case the ride would not be open on either coast at the moment nor would they be selling Splash plushies and shirts still. Seems Disney still wants the almighty dollar from Splash which goes to show you this whole retheme is only for the appearance to be "woke." Disney is passive progressive. only progressive enough to make you think they are while taking your money.

Professortango1

I think it’s obvious that Disney wants absolutely nothing to do with SotS. Hence why Splash is going.
Except for the animated sequences which are featured in home video, books, music, merchandise, and theme park attractions at 3 of their parks. I think the issue is that PATF is more profitable than SOTS and they don't like spending money on new attractions. Take a great and beloved attraction, strip away a theme that isn't a cash cow anymore, and lazily apply a new theme to the already successful attraction. Then, you get to advertise a new ride based on a profitable property, sell more merch, and not spend any real money in creating something new.

I can easily see a park 20 years from now where all of the rides are based on popular titles. I'm still surprised they didn't paint Big Thunder white and make it Kristof's Ice Adventure where we ride a sleigh to the peaks of Elsa's castle. Its sad, but Space, Matterhorn, and Big Thunder's days are numbered for their current state.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I can easily see a park 20 years from now where all of the rides are based on popular titles. I'm still surprised they didn't paint Big Thunder white and make it Kristof's Ice Adventure where we ride a sleigh to the peaks of Elsa's castle. Its sad, but Space, Matterhorn, and Big Thunder's days are numbered for their current state.
At this point, I believe it’s safe to say that no attraction is 100% safe, classics included. Disney has been turning Mansion into a Nightmare Before Christmas ride at Disneyland for years, they had no problem removing an original scene from Pirates, and now Splash is getting chopped. Not to mention they used valuable land at the original Disneyland for a Star Wars IP, which will personally never, ever make sense and never be justified. I remember they once had plans to turn Lincoln into a Muppet attraction. But this has been happening. There were classics before Mansion and Pirates that are now no longer, attractions and rides before my time that were beloved by many that are now gone. I wasn’t alive at the time, but based on what I’ve read and from what others who were alive at the time have told me, Mine Train Though Nature’s Wonderland was one of those classics.

I’ve accepted that nothing is safe and Disney will always do as they please. They’ve shown that they really don’t care about preserving things, good quality attractions that don’t include IP, or good quality attractions and offerings in general. So I’ve been able to now distance myself and am no longer attached to DL the way I used to be. I still love it, but I know that it will never be the same park that I grew up with and that’s something I’ve accepted. I’m done being extremely angry over Disney’s decision-making. I’ve moved on to other things. I just came back from a Jamaica vacation and had an amazing time. This is now the seventh country that I’ve visited ever since I started prioritizing travel over my Disneyland annual pass, which I decided to get ride of indefinitely. There are way too many other things in life to enjoy, too much to spend my energy being extremely angry and disappointed with the way the DLR is being managed. Those days are over for me.

So, I say all this to say that yeah, don’t expect Thunder, Space, Matterhorn, or any other Disneyland classic to stay the same or stay at all. Get used to these types of changes because more are coming. There’s no point in wasting too much energy in being angry and disappointed, especially if you’re still going to buy admission tickets regardless.

DavidDL

There's no shame in trying to save something you love in the parks. I get it. These attractions aren't like movies that might get a crummy sequel that you can simply ignore if you choose to. In a theme park's case, the thing you cared about is gone. Like, for good. I'd "kick and scream" until I was too tired to move in an effort to save something like Haunted Mansion from being demolished. If I succeed, then great.

But if I don't, then I proceed with the grieving process and re-assess my future visits to the park. Is there enough left for me to enjoy? Can I still ride what I like and skip what I don't without suffering too much heartbreak, skipping too many things or feeling like I didn't get my moneys worth? -and if there isn't enough left in the parks for me to enjoy or to justify the price of admission, it may be time to discover other things in life to invest in, as @raven24 has both pointed out and done.

I still hurt whenever I see the former Tower of Terror building but.. I'm leaving for Maui in a few weeks.

Edit: But, this also doesn't mean I don't think we shouldn't press Disney for a quality product. Just because we can go somewhere else shouldn't be an excuse to cut them slack when they try and deliver something subpar. They're not exempt from criticism.

Last edited:

truecoat

Yep. Black Americans have been getting called apes and monkeys since the slave ships. Same thing with being called uneducated (again, this is nothing new, as black Americans were denied a proper education and any education at all sometimes).

Were? Still are. Schools in the south have found great ways to make sure POC can't succeed in school.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Were? Still are. Schools in the south have found great ways to make sure POC can't succeed in school.
Trust me, I know. It’s like that around the country. My mom thought all of us were ahead until we transferred out of our South Central Los Angeles, majority black school to one on the West side, where it was predominantly white. Not only were we behind, but the resources that were afforded to the students at our new school were in a league of their own.

truecoat

Trust me, I know. It’s like that around the country. My mom thought all of us were ahead until we transferred out of our South Central Los Angeles, majority black school to one on the West side, where it was predominantly white. Not only were we behind, but the resources that were afforded to the students at our new school were in a league of their own.

I read about a high school in the south located in a predominately black area but it was the best high school. Anyone could transfer to it which the kids from the white areas did. To make room, they offered the classes needed to succeed in the white middle schools. When people of color came to high school, very limited classes were offered due to "pre-requisites". Putting the best teachers with the fortunate students and the worst with the other kids caused a decent dropout rate. Kids were marked as transferred though.

SplashGhost

Disney is never going to get people to forget Song of the South. If they had quietly released the film on home video in the US, it would likely be mostly forgotten by the general public like most of Disney's late 40s output. However, all they have done is continue to draw attention to it and they have built up this myth of it being the most offensive thing ever. This is completely Disney's fault.

All that changing Splash will do is get more people talking about why they think it was changed, which will do even more to add to the myth of Song of the South.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Disney is never going to get people to forget Song of the South. If they had quietly released the film on home video in the US, it would likely be mostly forgotten by the general public like most of Disney's late 40s output. However, all they have done is continue to draw attention to it and they have built up this myth of it being the most offensive thing ever. This is completely Disney's fault.

All that changing Splash will do is get more people talking about why they think it was changed, which will do even more to add to the myth of Song of the South.
100% correct.

Brer Panther

THANK YOU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom