News Speedier Wi-Fi at Port Orleans French Quarter

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Guests at Port Orleans Resort: French Quarter can soon use quicker internet in their rooms.

To connect to this speedier internet, guests should choose WDW Resorts Guest (a network that is planned to unroll in other resorts soon) in their Wi-Fi menu.

What are your thoughts on this internet update? I think it's a needed improvement.

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Definitely needed. When I was there earlier this year the Wi-Fi in our room was pretty much unusable.

I've noticed that for a while. I suspect that hardier building materials (used in storm-prone areas) might reduce Wi-Fi strength. Alongside high internet demand, you're bound to have awful internet. I hope this updated network helps in that area.

EricPZ

Of course, the week AFTER I get back from Disney and dealt with crap wifi the entire trip. (had to actually fire up my laptop for work at one point to take care of something and took forever to get enough of a connection to do some work)

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Guests at Port Orleans Resort: French Quarter can soon use quicker internet in their rooms.

To connect to this speedier internet, guests should choose WDW Resorts Guest (a network that is planned to unroll in other resorts soon) in their Wi-Fi menu.

What are your thoughts on this internet update? I think it's a needed improvement.
But have to point out... article said "ENHANCED Wi-Fi" :). Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about Speed :).

What I DID see was the intelligent use of ONE SSID (WDW Resorts Guest), instead of the old system of "Room" and Public". Often, a device would tend to "stick" to one of these Wi-Fi networks, and refuse to switch regardless of signal strength. Drove us nuts, just going to breakfast in our Hotel :).

If you are ever curious? Load the FREE "WiFiAnalyzer" app on your cell phone :). One could walk around a Resort, or a Park, and see everything, along with Signal Strength :).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I've noticed that for a while. I suspect that hardier building materials (used in storm-prone areas) might reduce Wi-Fi strength. Alongside high internet demand, you're bound to have awful internet. I hope this updated network helps in that area.

Building materials and distance can indeed affect Wi-Fi performance. It also depends on what wireless standard is being used. B will better penetrate walls, whereas G gets blocked more easily. Not sure about A or AC or N, I admit I haven't looked into this in a while.

But given the increase in mobile apps by Disney, providing a better wi-fi experience should have been a priority, not a "well, we'll get to it when we get to it".

winstongator

Disney definitely made a change in the parks a few years ago. I worked a couple days from POR a few years ago and the wifi was OK. In the resorts, I think it's more about people streaming video instead of watching the TVs. The parks will need better wifi as more people use the play parks app and other interactive features roll out.

bigorangeandy

Glad to hear about upgrading, hopefully that will mean better performance, and faster. Remember that not many years ago (around 2011) that Disney starting offering WIFI in the rooms, compared to most hotels. As no one will every complain about the internet being too fast, I'll be happy with any upgrade that occurs.

Macca250

I hope that upcoming streaming service Iger and Co. keep pushing will be included on the in-room TVs. I agree the wi-fi is dated, but not having on-demand movies and content on the TVs is a missed opportunity for the world’s biggest media company with thousands of people staying on their property. I’m tired to having to switch to the channel guide to see a scrolling list of what’s on...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom