Spaceship Earth isn't finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Come on my fellow wdwmagicears!

THE RIDE IS NOT FINISHED...........

How can you not see what they have done with some of the things to the ride....

EPCOT Center died when Horizons went. :cry:

More younger familes and children are coming to Epcot now more than ever before.

Epcot has established itself as a Disney park with something for everyone. Entertain, Inform, Inspire as well as explore and discover

Spaceship Earth went from being a bone dry serious attraction in 1982 to a more straight forward attraction in 1986 to a philosophical attraction in 1994.

The pros:
The landscaping, the lighting, the new signage, the new paint, the overall the new branding.

Hello! They kept the mural outside intact!

Brand new flat screen televisions with new animation, closed caption, and audio stay right at the beginning of the ride, and not up in the descent. The voice recognition is interesting, but NOT COMPLETE.

what is so wrong about the star curtains other than some light shows on them? Would you rather have half of them burnt out along with unused neon lines that hadn't worked in ages from the 1994 version?

Judy Dench is our mentor and instructor. She isn't some bodyless entity. She is our conductor of our time machine...a mother or grandmother figure...cultured and knowledgable.

She allows even younger children to be engaged by straightforward and upbeat facts. You think kids could handle walter cronkites monotone voice...or being put to sleep by vic perrin and jeremy irons dramatic voice?

The sets are refreshened, some new, some updated. The AA's and costumes are for the most part fantastic.

The touch screens present an interactive and fun element. It is all upbeat and positive.

Cons:

180top and the descent.

the track.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The screens are not "fun" - find me a person who finds it fun or entertaining, has a single person on this forum or elsewhere said they thought that crap was fun?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Merf the reason why you hate the screens is because you don't have anything else around you. It is all pitch black.

If you had a floating SSE model and fiber optic city of tomorrow to look at as well as smooshing and glittering fiber optic lights left over from the 1994 version...you could see all of this while your video was loading...and the screen would be off and they wouldn't be recapping the ride with facts.

Then if the screens turned back on and presented our 30 second animation...we could then have the blue pegboard walls all around us.

The descent needs more...as does 180 top.

The music is forgettable.

But the animation is fun, upbeat, retro-inspired.

It just needs more AROUND it.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Moderators feel free to lock this thread.

There are too many SSE threads.

SSE is beloved ride by many here on wdwmagic as it is on other Disney related boards.

We have no concrete proof that the ride is staying the way is nor do we have concrete proof that it is going to change someway or another.

So many of us wanted the wand and stars gone and the went away.

New palm trees and flowers and plants and foliage have come about.

New paint, music, and a new interactive exhibit allow guests to be be engaged.

A new narrator and script creates an upbeat and straightforward approach.

Let's be realistic here. The track is not going to be replaced or repaired in any way. It will take months and months to do that and Disney or Seimens won't have it.

180top and the descent can be enhanced or reworked as can the animation on the screens. We can write our concerns, and voice our opinions and see if change does happen.

3/4 of the ride in my honest opinion are an improvement. All that needs improving is the ending.

I am glad SSE opened for previews and am glad for the audio, picture, and video updates we have been able to have.

Perhaps the ride will be open when I go in Janauary. Even if it isn't, I will still have a fun time at Epcot, and wil wait and see what becomes of the ride in February.

It makes me sick to see the hysteria and arguing created on these boards since the ride soft opened. We are an online community with our own opinions and beliefs...surley we can all get along more well.

I mean come on now....we're debating about ride scenes and animated movies inside a golfball! :lookaroun

Alright that's my last rant on the whole thing. I'll just wait and see what happens and if I feel the need to write or email to see if enhancements can be made to the ending than I will...otherwise I'm just gonna watch the hysteria unfold and start pack my bags for sunny florida :)

Shaman

Can you do all of us a favor (primarily me :lookaroun) and keep the SSE stuff to the least amount of threads as possible...there's always using the fancy blog system to get your points across. There comes a point where posts stop being productive and border on possible spam. Just my opinion. :shrug:

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I understand. The mods can lock and delete the thread if they want. Too many SSE threads and I am done debating the topic.

imagineer boy

I don't know why they chose Judi Dench to do the narration. Her voice reminds me of my first grade teacher ( whom I HATED ). They could have used tons of other voices that would've been amazing like Lawrence Fishbourne.

marmiedook

thanks Monsanto.
I like your attitude.
I like SSE.
I Love Judi Dench.
i can't wait to see the ride if I am allowed on in just a few days.
The changes look great to me!

cdunbar

Lawerence Fishburne, yeah deff had to google him to find out who he was! Maybe thats why they didn't use him....:shrug:

primetime52

I was really disheartened today when I signed on to this site and saw so many bad reviews for SSE... This really disappoints me. I hope they can get it cleaned up and tweaked before the real opening.

DisneyAnole

Lawerence Fishburne, yeah deff had to google him to find out who he was! Maybe thats why they didn't use him....:shrug:

So the narrator has to be a celebrity? Maybe WDI thought crowds would be impressed with Judi Dench and overlook the quality of the script. Whatever. I'd rather have a good script read by a non-celebrity than a crappy script read by a celebrity.

Figment571

It they quality crap narration they should have gotten Bruce Campbell to read it.
"then after Rome burned, the whole world went to crap. Except some crazy looking guys in weird hats kept some stuff in their homes. Then Ash had to kick some deadite (explitive deleted) "

IcicleM

Personally, I really enjoyed the additions to the ride. Look at how large the giant computer room is? and what about the awesome garage scene? Or how about that incredible new family scene where they're watching the TV with the Mouse Trap game laying on the floor in the background?

That stuff isn't cheap, guys, no wonder it took them so long to finish this. Also, think about it this way: We sacrificed the descent backwards for a fun and innovative look at the future on a personal touch screen. It was either one or the other in this case, because it would be very odd for us to be able to focus on both any type of scene happening next to us AND the touch screen. With the screen, we have more possibilities to show us how the future may be. With Horizons, we only had three choices, and they were the same three every time. Obviously, there was no way they could have done so many scenes in the descent with all the choices we had available.

They made a sacrifice for the future of the attraction, and I think it's going to end up great in the end. I can't wait to see our pictures show up in Project Tomorrow on the giant globe. :)

DisneyAnole

Personally, I really enjoyed the additions to the ride. Look at how large the giant computer room is? and what about the awesome garage scene? Or how about that incredible new family scene where they're watching the TV with the Mouse Trap game laying on the floor in the background?

That stuff isn't cheap, guys, no wonder it took them so long to finish this. Also, think about it this way: We sacrificed the descent backwards for a fun and innovative look at the future on a personal touch screen. It was either one or the other in this case, because it would be very odd for us to be able to focus on both any type of scene happening next to us AND the touch screen. With the screen, we have more possibilities to show us how the future may be. With Horizons, we only had three choices, and they were the same three every time. Obviously, there was no way they could have done so many scenes in the descent with all the choices we had available.

They made a sacrifice for the future of the attraction, and I think it's going to end up great in the end. I can't wait to see our pictures show up in Project Tomorrow on the giant globe. :)

The comparisions to Horizons are weak. With Horizons riders voted on the ending and then the riders were made to experience that ending which was like an early simulator. Watching a little touch screen on the descent isn't nearly as immersive or exciting as the ending of Horizons.

epcotpalms

Does anyone ever ask them self how the new computer room was able to fit into it's current space? Let me tell you!

Prior to the rehab there was the infamous black currents we'd grown to love on the right hand side that was hiding the old show scenes that Disney was to cheap to remove! I know this because I rode it once when the curtains were not aligned correctly to cover it.

The rehab not only had to refresh the attraction but had to take care of the poor maintenance the attraction has received over the years.

Horizons1

Does anyone ever ask them self how the new computer room was able to fit into it's current space? Let me tell you!

Prior to the rehab there was the infamous black currents we'd grown to love on the right hand side that was hiding the old show scenes that Disney was to cheap to remove! I know this because I rode it once when the curtains were not aligned correctly to cover it.

So the old show scene was sitting behind the curtain, completely intact? That's pretty cool. Well, except when it's wasted show space, but it's cool in a sense.

epcotpalms

It was just sitting back there! However, it was ruined because it was painted completely black so you could see it in the case the curtains didn't align correctly.

EPCOT_1138

Thank you! Finally someone made a thread with the pros of the new SSE. Quit complaining everyone, it isn't finished! Come on!

Epcot is changing, and it's not going to make its new rides just for EPCOT Center purists to favor. At least they took down the awful wand and LAL booths!

Okay, now that's over. :lookaroun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom