Spaceship Earth exterior needs a serious clean

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure whether it was due to the 100% cloud cover over the weekend making it more visible than normal, but the exterior of SE is in desperate need of a clean. Viewed from the parking lot, a fairly big portion of the upper area is almost black.

hpyhnt 1000

Yeah, this has been discussed in another thread somewhere. Probably related to air conditioning residue. It'll be gone with the next pressure cleaning.

wdwmemories

There has been a tremendous amount of rain recently in central Florida so it is probably hard to keep up with the exterior cleaning - and the wet weather probably promotes mildew.

wolf359

All of the early books about EPCOT tout the "self cleaning" aspects of the Alucobond panels... Granted, it would be hard to confirm or verify, but it seems like Spaceship Earth requires outside assistance a lot more often to stay clean now than it did in the past.

I wonder if those panels aren't quite as durable as the chemical engineers thought they would be? Does anyone know if every panel is original or if any have been replaced over the years?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The queue load/unload areas also need to be cleaned, redone. Ugly. Matches the descent. Wake up Siemens!

I was amazed this wasn't touched during the refurb. One of the parts I thought needed the most attention, and it was barely touched.

TTATraveler

Ugh, I saw it yesterday as I was pulling into the parking lot and was caught off guard. It can't be very easy to clean, but it really looks bad.:(

SoupBone

Throw me into the crowd that noticed it immediately. We went there this weekend and it was pretty bad. I think people's explanations are spot on though (pun intended). :)

harveyt0206

I'm not sure what kind of whack a doodle I am, but nothing would make me happier than to climb up there with a scrub brush and clean, clean, clean.

raven

OK. I did some digging and here's the deal:

SSE is currently being cleaned on 3rd shift but it's taking longer than expected due to scheduling reasons. Powerwashing starts at the top and they spray everything down to just above the halfway point then it's powerwashed from a 150' High Reach on the ground. Only 1 person and one spotter are qualified to do the job and they keep getting pulled to do other highwork around the park. The 150' High Reach also doesn't belong to Epcot and it's been in high demand around the property. This would be the reason why the spot hasn't changed over a few days. But they were up top last night spraying and hopefully it will be completed soon.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

SSE is currently being cleaned on 3rd shift but it's taking longer than expected due to scheduling reasons. Powerwashing starts at the top and they spray everything down to just above the halfway point then it's powerwashed from a 150' High Reach on the ground. Only 1 person and one spotter are qualified to do the job and they keep getting pulled to do other highwork around the park. The 150' High Reach also doesn't belong to Epcot and it's been in high demand around the property. This would be the reason why the spot hasn't changed over a few days. But they were up top last night spraying and hopefully it will be completed soon.

Good work Raven, thanks for the update!

BrerFrog

Thanks for the info, Raven. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom