Spaceship Earth DID have astronauts in it!

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
A hah! Finally, I found out that SSE did in fact have astronauts working on a satelite dish at the top of the sphere when you began to turn backwards in your omnimover.

The extinct attractions club which produces DVD's on long gone rides, and vitnage disneycana had a segment on the old world key information touch tone screens near communicore west I think. It shows the astronauts working on the satelite dish at the climax of the show.

This was during EPCOT, yes the park was simply called this acronym in 1995 when EPCOT Center was sailing into the 90s and out of the 80s [somewhat], with the 1996 opening of "Epcot Center" , the third version of the original 1982 park.

Anyways during both the original Vic Perrin version, and second version featuring Walter Cronkite there we astronauts up there, obivously nodding a hint at the future of the "information age". :king:

Now I can't confirm this, but I think the climax of the show in both the first and second version had a much more elaborate star field. You had earth in the distance before you began to rotate, and then you had a mix of twinkling stars, comets, solar systems, etc. Like an elaborate planterium.

I wonder why they took this out. It really wasn't outdated or current. It's just too simple. Earth, and some twinling stars. The new orchestral score from the current third version begins to play, and we hear that god for saken voice with warning speils about us turning backwards, totally ruining the surprise like it did years back.

The original 1982 mural from opening day of EPCOT Center, is still there next to the entrance door to SSE. Take a closer look at it next time you go by. You'll see that there are astronauts and a satelite dish depicted in the mural.

P.S. This is not to confuse the astronauts that were once in Horizons, or the ones that are still on Space Mountain. Spaceship Earth did in fact from 1982 to 1994 had its own astronauts.

CaptainMichael

Not to say that you are wrong, but I do believe I saw astronauts on the decent during my last trip. There isn't much on the decent, but I'm pretty sure I saw astronauts!

WDWFREAK53

STR8FAN2005 said:
Not to say that you are wrong, but I do believe I saw astronauts on the decent during my last trip. There isn't much on the decent, but I'm pretty sure I saw astronauts!

Nope, they are gone.

Dayma

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Now I can't confirm this, but I think the climax of the show in both the first and second version had a much more elaborate star field. You had earth in the distance before you began to rotate, and then you had a mix of twinkling stars, comets, solar systems, etc. Like an elaborate planterium.

Yep I clearly remeber the astronauts and a lot of stars that are not there now. Wish it was still there and I dont see the reason behind removing this.

aimster

Expo_Seeker40 said:
and we hear that god for saken voice with warning speils about us turning backwards, totally ruining the surprise like it did years back.

Because we now live in a sue-happy nation so they have to warn about the rotating. Otherwise someone would probably freak out and find a lame reason
for a lawsuit.

The original 1982 mural from opening day of EPCOT Center, is still there next to the entrance door to SSE. Take a closer look at it next time you go by. You'll see that there are astronauts and a satelite dish depicted in the mural.

I noticed that both times I went on Spaceship Earth last Sunday. I don't remember seeing the astronauts back in the day, but I do remember seeing them in the mural earlier this week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom