Spaceship Earth Changes

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Original Poster
From the main site:

10 May 2002: Spaceship Earth Changes

The in-car audio has been modified slightly at the beginning of the vortex that removes the "AT&T welcomes you aboard Spaceship Earth" message. This might possibly have something to do with the upcoming renewal of the AT&T sponsorship. There are multiple rumors that AT&T will not be renewing, leaving Spaceship Earth without a sponsor. Also, there are 3 new video screens in the vortex that explain what the ride is and that your car might slow down or stop momentarily.

So shall we start the speculation...?
If AT&T pulls out.... who will the new sponsor be?
Cisco? SUN Microsystems? Makes sense...they make the routers and switches for the Internet. I dunno. Ideas?!...post em’! :D

DMC-12

Original Poster
I was thinking that to.... But SBC / Ameritech is known for NOT Spending money.

Tellabs? Laid off 2500 more people last week.....
Lucent? Yeah...they are hurting as well....
Sprint? Maybe......
Cisco? They just posted huge earnings...

DMC-12

Original Poster
Originally posted by kwt10
Now for the dumb question: Why does it need a sponser? What do a sponsers pay for on the rides?

Thanks

Sponsor= Huge Name Placement on the ride.....also....a possible product insertion into the ride itself.....

Microsoft?...LOL... how many times a day would the ride crash...?;)

jonhix

Um, sponsors fund much of Epcot, that's why Disney needs them. There's no particular reason a ride needs a sponsor (Life, Seas, etc) they work fine without one, of course. But Disney get up to $10 million per year, per sponsor, so yes, they need them.....

monorail256

I have a question about all the changes... now.. even though they took out the at&t beginning part and added what the ride is and all that.. is it still the same guy? I think the voice to that ride is great... its one thing (besides spaceship earth) that makes me feel like I am really at Epcot.:D

SteveUK

Sponsors are important in financial terms but Disney have a fine line to keep between the need for sponsorship and flooding a ride in logos and adverts, they have to be sure to maintain the fact that a sponsor can be seen to be involved but not at the cost of intruding on the Disney experience. This means there is probably a very complex discussion and contract needed with any potential sponsor. This might narrow down the options.

hallowboy11

Originally posted by DMC-12
From the main site:

10 May 2002: Spaceship Earth Changes

Also, there are 3 new video screens in the vortex that explain what the ride is and that your car might slow down or stop momentarily.

I LOATHE those video screens. I REALLY REALLY DO!! Ugh.. sign of the times. :brick:

Hey.. I also have a question... has anyone noticed recently that a lot of the scenes, as you travel backwards to towardst the end, have also been removed? In mid-April, there were several scenes missing (of people "communicating" across the planet)... just a lot of black. Kind of strange.. but also a little cool.

castlecake

Maybe Verizon will sponser it?

All throughout the ride there will be that guy saying "Can you hear me now?.....Good!" and all the Audio Animitronics will be makink the 'V's with there fingers.......:animwink:

Testtrack321

Saw them and they are awful. Imagine the worst CGI ever, and you have it. The people arn't even real, they are some pixilated piece of #*(%#! It also light up the whole accent and was really dumb.

ToTBellHop

What about Cingular? I dunno about the rest of the US, but we now have three Cingular stores within a mile of us...I think there are more Cingular Wireless stores in Rochester than Starbucks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom