Spaceship Earth and rain

donaldduck1967

Original Poster
I read somewhere, I believe it was Birnbaum's WDW without kids, that rainwater that falls on SE all drains into World Showcase lagoo. How exactly does that happen?

thx

Nut4Disney

I've read this too, but I'm not sure how this works. Here are some other fun facts about SE.

When Spaceship Earth originally opened, the mechanism that
turns the cars around on top of the ride wasn't working and they had a "person" physically turning each car around.

Spaceship Earth has a unique drainage system in which the water is channeled and filled to the world showcase lagoon. Did you know that rainwater never falls off the sphere? It's absorbed into the ball, and funneled into World Showcase Lagoon.

Spaceship Earth is the most popular attraction in the world. More people pass through the ride every year than any other.

Most of the male audio-animatronics in Spaceship Earth are former presidents. When the Hall of Presidents was first made, they made detailed molds for the faces of the presidents. Then when Spaceship Earth was built, they used the same molds and put different hair, costumes, make-up, etc. to create the different characters.

The hieroglyphics on the walls in the ancient Egypt scenes are authentic recreations of actually graphics. The words being dictated by the pharaoh were taken from an actual letter sent by a pharaoh to one of his agents.

The vehicle audio system is an infrared system beamed to the vehicles as they pass by the transmitters.

When you are going through the little boy's room, on the surfboard says Typhoon Lagoon.

isnet396

Originally posted by Nut4Disney
I've read this too, but I'm not sure how this works. Here are some other fun facts about SE.

When Spaceship Earth originally opened, the mechanism that
turns the cars around on top of the ride wasn't working and they had a "person" physically turning each car around.

Spaceship Earth has a unique drainage system in which the water is channeled and filled to the world showcase lagoon. Did you know that rainwater never falls off the sphere? It's absorbed into the ball, and funneled into World Showcase Lagoon.

Spaceship Earth is the most popular attraction in the world. More people pass through the ride every year than any other.

Most of the male audio-animatronics in Spaceship Earth are former presidents. When the Hall of Presidents was first made, they made detailed molds for the faces of the presidents. Then when Spaceship Earth was built, they used the same molds and put different hair, costumes, make-up, etc. to create the different characters.

The hieroglyphics on the walls in the ancient Egypt scenes are authentic recreations of actually graphics. The words being dictated by the pharaoh were taken from an actual letter sent by a pharaoh to one of his agents.

The vehicle audio system is an infrared system beamed to the vehicles as they pass by the transmitters.

When you are going through the little boy's room, on the surfboard says Typhoon Lagoon.

Um, most of that sounds correct, although, the audio is transmitted from car to car, not as they "pass by transmitters". I believe the odd numberd cars send their audio to the evens....the same system is used with almost every omnimover system with onboard audio (Horizons, HM, etc..)...just a note, with your first piece of trivia, the reason as to why a real person had to turn the car around was because each car was missing a ten cent ball bearing to make it rotate properly.

And finally, water probably drains through pipes on the inside of the dome, and through the legs and into the lagoon.

Ian

juan

If you walk under SE. you can see the small gaps in between the plates. Most likely, the water rolls into the cracks up in top and falls into a gutter like system.

Rider

I believe there is a very small "gutter" running accross the very center of the ball. It collects all the water.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by donaldduck1967
I read somewhere, I believe it was Birnbaum's WDW without kids, that rainwater that falls on SE all drains into World Showcase lagoo. How exactly does that happen?

an underground system of aqueducts pumps the water to the lagoon

Fantasmic

Originally posted by isnet396
just a note, with your first piece of trivia, the reason as to why a real person had to turn the car around was because each car was missing a ten cent ball bearing to make it rotate properly.

Ian

It was a washer, not a ball bearing :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom