Space Mountain vs. Space Mountain

MDactor1980

Original Poster
We are heading out next spring, and WDW is what we are used to. DH is 6'5" and no longer rides Space Mountain in WDW. His issue is 2-part:
1. He fears decapitation in the dark.
2. He doesn't fit comfortably in the ride vehicle. He complains of knee pain afterward, and it makes no difference if he is in the front or back, his legs just don't fit in any comfortable way.

Any tall people who have experiences both the DL & MK versions that can give me any tips for him, or is he just going to wait outside with our bags and a churro? Thanks!

Disneydreamer23

My DH is 6'5 and 375 pounds he rides every time we go to Disney he sits in the last seat he says its the biggest. Here is a pic of him next to Goofy! Hope this Helps!!
051.JPG

Attachments

• wdwmagic.jpg
    wdwmagic.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 36

MDactor1980

Original Poster
Thanks! That's encouraging! Maybe we will save it for the end of the day, so if it hurts his knees, DH can take some Advil before bed and sleep it off!

Travel Junkie

The DL version is much different than WDW. The ride vehicles have much more room and sit 2 to a row instead of 1 at WDW.

The track layout is very different as well. No fear of decapitation. :) I highly reccommend SM at DL for anyone. On board audio and a much smoother track than WDW.

On the other hand do not ride Matterhorn at DL. Same type of vehicles as SM at WDW and it's even a rougher ride in my view.

wdrive

Space Mountain feels like a different ride at Disneyland compared to WDW. I always think that the Matterhorn is more similar to WDW's Space Mountain than Disneyland's Space Mountain. If there is a ride that you will have issues with it's the Matterhorn and it's new bobsleds.

JediMasterMatt

No, Harold moves.

The Yeti moves*

*offer only good when Joe Rhode or other Disney higher ups happen to be visiting.

MDactor1980 - You should check out DL's Space. It's made by Vekoma and feels very similar in the way it tracks to Everest if you wanted a comparison. The cars sit quite a bit lower than Everest's though; but, they have plenty of leg room. As a coaster enthusaist (w/450+ coasters under my belt) I have to add my obligatory statement: WDW's Space is a better roller-coaster in that it has actual negative g forces and is more out of control. DL's Space is a much better Disney attraction in its execution. Great themeing, soundtrack, and feeling of being in outerspace. When I visit Disney Parks, I'll take a better Disney ride vs. roller-coaster. If I wanted to ride a roller-coaster, I would go to somewhere to ride a great one (like the Voyage at Holiday World).

DonaldDoleWhip

MDactor1980 - You should check out DL's Space. It's made by Vekoma and feels very similar in the way it tracks to Everest if you wanted a comparison. The cars sit quite a bit lower than Everest's though; but, they have plenty of leg room. As a coaster enthusaist (w/450+ coasters under my belt) I have to add my obligatory statement: WDW's Space is a better roller-coaster in that it has actual negative g forces and is more out of control. DL's Space is a much better Disney attraction in its execution. Great themeing, soundtrack, and feeling of being in outerspace. When I visit Disney Parks, I'll take a better Disney ride vs. roller-coaster. If I wanted to ride a roller-coaster, I would go to somewhere to ride a great one (like the Voyage at Holiday World).
Agreed. The worst things about DL's Space Mountain are that it doesn't have any serious drops, and the track layout is a bit repetitive. But the best things about it are fantastic: the smoothness, the perfectly synched soundtrack, etc. I find MK's Space Mountain to be rather jerky (not in a good way), and you can barely hear the music.

For me, DL's beats MK's any day.

Last edited:

TP2000

I'm well over six foot tall, slender, and all legs and arms. I fit just fine in the Space Mountain rockets, but those new Matterhorn bobsleds are a hassle and really beat you up.

The Disneyland Space Mountain is lightyears better than the WDW Space Mountain from a showmanship and technological perspective. It's very smooth and very 21st century, compared to the WDW Space Mountain which is not smooth and still looks and feels obviously like a 1970's attraction that got a small update in the 2010's.

Don't miss Disneyland's Space Mountain!

Matterhorn, on the other hand, should probably be skipped for big men. Just consider Matterhorn to be very similar to WDW's Space Mountain in thrill-level and themed to ice caverns and a few scary animatronic Harold sightings during the ride, and then you can skip it to focus on other Disneyland offerings.

Marc Gil

They really did ruin the Matterhorn bobsleds. I can't stand the new designs. It used to be so comfortable. Now I have to basically have my knees to my chest when I ride.

-____-
Yup... I remember you warning me on how jerky,bumpy, and extremely crammed it was... I thought you were exaggerating, but once I got on, whew.... You were NOT exaggerating!

Matterhorn literally beats you to a pulp... But you have fun in the process... Well kinda.

MDactor1980

Original Poster
Thanks for the information and advice everyone!!!!

I'm 5'11", and the other 2 folks joining us are shorter than me. Sounds like DH will be holding the bags on Matterhorn, but joining us for SM. It'll really be novel, since we usually skip SM in WDW since he doesn't fit, and the past few times I can't warrant standing in line alone for the posted amount of time to ride by myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom