Space Mountain score: Dale vs Giacchino

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
In 1996 on-board audio was added to Disneyland's Space Mountain featuring a rocking track with guitar from D. Dale. In 2005 the original audio was replaced by a more orchestral track composed by Michael Giacchino that plays to this day (except when the mountain is overlayed with Ghost Galaxy or Hyperspace). My question is, which version do you prefer? Personally I like the 1996 soundtrack even though I never had the chance to ride it when that music was still being used..

Erich

Coming from a person that listens to the soundtrack in the car, makes vents blow air into my face to simulate space mountain... I like the new one better because it makes you feel like your going faster than you really are. The one one is a little creepy to me anyway.

I'd like to know why you like the 1996 version better.

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I like the old one because it builds up tension and then keeps the intensity up all the way to the end.

Erich

I like the old one because it builds up tension and then keeps the intensity up all the way to the end.
That's true, thinking about that... I don't honestly know why I like the current better. I grew up with this one is probs why.

Hyperspace & Ghost Galaxy soundtracks are hot fine (ohh what has 2016 turned into). I like them much more than the normal space mountain

dweezil78

Giacchino all the way. Opinion would maybe be a little different if the Dick Dale version ever actually worked!!! I think I'd hear it every 1 out of 10 rides at best.

Also, little trivia -- did you know that the Dick Dale piece is just a re-worked surf guitar version of a piece from composer Camille Saint-Saëns? Check it out...

Saint-Saëns - "The Carnival of the Animals - VII. Aquariu"

Dick Dale's Space Mountain Music

Erich

I keep listening to it, each and every time the beginning gets creepier to me. Something about it just doesn't feel right.

VJ

I think what Dale was going for was a sort of 50's B-movie sci-fi film sound mixed with 50's-60's surfer music. Bold choice to blend the two but it ended up coming out pretty unique. As for which one I like better, I'd have to say the 2005 score is my favorite. So far Giacchino has scored Space Mountain, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Tomorrowland (the movie)... he's pretty much taking over Disneyland's Tomorrowland piece by piece (literally).

Bairstow

I feel like the Dale/St. Saens piece would actually have been a near-perfect fit for the '90s version of WDW's Space Mountain, with its Tomorrowland having that Jules Verne feel (replete with the Timekeeper) and the "SMTv" loop in the queue already playing numerous surf rock tunes.

Rich T

Dale's "Aquarium" interpretation was fun, but I prefer the Giacchino score. The first time I rode the "new" Space Mtn. after the rebuild, I loved the way the new score really lightens up the atmosphere and adds energy and playfulness to the whole experience. When my family and I exited, we all--nearly at the same time--said it reminded us of the "Lost in Space" TV show theme... and we actually meant that in a *good* way. :D

Rich T

I keep listening to it, each and every time the beginning gets creepier to me. Something about it just doesn't feel right.
It really works well on the ride, though-- Gives you a "what have we gotten ourselves into" chill. :)
(EDIT) I mean the new version. Reading back, I see you might have meant the Dale track. But the same applies... just a bit less. :)

Rich T

I don't like the majority of stuff Giacchino has done, but I do enjoy the Space Mountain score.
I do like the way his film music mostly enhances a movie without drawing much attention to itself. Doesn't always make a great album listen, but really sells the story. That said, when he comes up with a great theme, he hits home runs. His main instrumental theme for Zootopia and the film's saddest moment, "Some of My Best Friends are Predators," tear me up every time I hear them. I actually think his score is a huge (and underrated) reason the film was so successful.

Bairstow

I do like the way his film music mostly enhances a movie without drawing much attention to itself. Doesn't always make a great album listen, but really sells the story. That said, when he comes up with a great theme, he hits home runs. His main instrumental theme for Zootopia and the film's saddest moment, "Some of My Best Friends are Predators," tear me up every time I hear them. I actually think his score is a huge (and underrated) reason the film was so successful.

Heh. You should hear the stuff he used to write for video games.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom