Space Mountain Question

lunchbox1175

Original Poster
Did the cars on Space use to be glow in the dark? I swear I remember being able to see the cars go around when you are on the Peoplemover when I was a kid, or am I just imagining that?

Chef Mickey

I think they used black light which made it look like the cars were illuminated.
I think it was more like glow in the dark panels or stickers stuck to the sides similar to the glow in the dark stars you could stick up on your ceiling as a kid.

glowy-star-ceiling.jpg

Bairstow

Did the cars on Space use to be glow in the dark? I swear I remember being able to see the cars go around when you are on the Peoplemover when I was a kid, or am I just imagining that?

They totally did, but that effect was removed in 2009.

Yes, I can confirm you could. It was cool waiting in line, but I like the darker setting now.

Who remembers Mario Lopez on the TVs in line?

SMTV!
I really miss it. The ride is lessened by its removal.

I think they used black light which made it look like the cars were illuminated.

I think it was more like glow in the dark panels or stickers stuck to the sides similar to the glow in the dark stars you could stick up on your ceiling as a kid.

glowy-star-ceiling.jpg

You're both right.
The cars had a phosphorescent decal down their sides, but it only glowed because it was "charged" by blacklights near the load/unload stations.

lunchbox1175

Original Poster
Ok, now that we have determined I am not crazy, then why did they change it, it couldn't possibly be cost related, and it added to the attraction!:banghead:

Bairstow

Ok, now that we have determined I am not crazy, then why did they change it, it couldn't possibly be cost related, and it added to the attraction!:banghead:

It wasn't cost related.
The decal removal was done at the same time as the construction to add a ceiling to the load station. Their intent was to fully block off all light from the ride area and thereby improve the feeling of being in outer space. The general consensus is that while well-intended, the changes did not significantly improve the ride or queue.

tinkerblonde11

I remember thinking the glow in the dark effect was amazing, from TTA they looked like shooting stars. I was totally afraid of the ride then, but still loved to watch the cars go.

Cmdr_Crimson

Ok this is the music I remember from SM, I don't know if has a name but after standing in line hearing over and over, my brother and I used to call it "Space Madness"

It's Just simply known as the 3rd Tunnel Music..If you think about as you go deeper and deeper "Space" Sounds seem to become less and less broke down..That's howI think the way the music is layed out of Promising Tomorrow as it plays when you first Enter-->Star Tunnel-->Third Tunnel-->Deepness of Space

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom