Space Mountain question

mkepcotmgmak

-- not entirely true. it is possible to ride with the lights on. my aunt went last year, and she is terrified of rollercoasters, but her husband talked her into getting onto space mountain and told it it was pretty tame. the ride brokedown halfway through and they turned the lights on... a little while later the ride was fixed and they continued their journey through space, with the lights on. my uncle said it was VERY creepy riding SM with the lights on...

for the height matter...
i am 6'9" and i have only ridden space once.. i vowed after that one time to never ride it again.. first of all, in the red tunnels i felt like i would be decapitated, so i kept my head down the entire time...(i know now that this would have been impossible, but i was incredibly scared at the time)
since i had my head ducked, when we made it into the large room, the beams looked VERY low, so i kept it ducked, and when we hit the last drop or curve, my neck popped back and gave me whiplash... so i made a promise that on any future visit i would skip this ride to make my day as "safely" magical as possbile.

GrumpysGal

Originally posted by Coaster Guy
I am not sure how scientific your experiments were, but your results are incorrect. With the exception that A side is 10 feet longer, the two tracks are identical, therefore giving mirrored but similar rides. I am not saying one is not rougher than the other, but the speeds are the same.

Well, I guess I should say that for ME,my boyfriend, and family, in our opinion, the left side is a bit faster and it jerked us more than the right side. God only knows how many times we have ridden the ride and each time we come to believe the same thing.

We should all judge for ourselves. I never meant to say it was a proven fact. It was pure theory that was thought up by riding the ride upteen times.

"I" believe the left side is a bit quicker than the right side. Does that seem better??? :D

*Erika*

Coasterbp

Originally posted by GrumpysGal
Well, I guess I should say that for ME,my boyfriend, and family, in our opinion, the left side is a bit faster and it jerked us more than the right side. God only knows how many times we have ridden the ride and each time we come to believe the same thing.

We should all judge for ourselves. I never meant to say it was a proven fact. It was pure theory that was thought up by riding the ride upteen times.

"I" believe the left side is a bit quicker than the right side. Does that seem better??? :D

*Erika*

Better, but this can be attributed to many many things.

1) Time of day that you rode: Trains are slower in the beginning of the day. Fastest time to ride? Late at night before park close.

2) Your seat position in rocket: Some say the front feels faster, some say the back. The back is definitely a bit bumpier...making it seem that you might be going faster...

3) The rocket: Some are a little faster than others....

4) Rocket load: If the other passengers in your rocket were all kids on one trip, and then your second trip was with a bunch of heffers fresh from the turkey leg cart, your second trip will be faster.

5) Tower Control speed: Sometimes the CMs in the Control Tower will turn the power up to 11...making the rockets go a little bit faster. It also lowers the beams near the track to make it look like your going to hit your head. It also switches the track so there's a loop at the end.

Just kidding about the last one.....it doesn't move the beams, just adds the loop.:p

GrumpysGal

Whoa mama! Now that is great to know!! But I am still always going to trust the left side. It's been the best to me by far....hahaha Thanks for the info!!! Awesome!

Erika

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by LeenLin
Both sides seemed the same to me

When you're going inside Space Mountain.. the left track seems a little longer than the one on the right. I prefer the right one myself, but that was when I was able to ride Space Mtn. The last time I went on, I was pretty nauseous when I stepped off. I thought I was coming down with something. Then, I went on it again (about 2 days later) and sure enough.. same feeling :(

enfilm

Last year I was riding Space Mt and at the top of the big hill they had a problem with the other side. They turned on the lights and stopped the ride on that side but let everyone on our side complete the ride. It was real cool to see the track although it made the ride not nearly as exciting. To top it off I got a front-of-line pass for any attraction I wanted because of the problem

Ed

stingrock23

I dont' know all the specifics on the ride, but the left side's main drop seems to be faster. or maybe it's just a little steeper. The rest of the ride is pretty much the same.
But in all the experiences I've had the left main drop is faster/steeper than the right main drop.

tomman710

I am with you Erika. We have tested it out and the left, to us, is faster, quicker, jerkier. We went on the right side then immediately got off and 10 min later were on the left side, then did this all one more time, all on one late afternoon. So we had the right conditions and everyone thought the left was faster. Just our opinions, but left side is money.

Lee

Adventurer
Time of day IS a factor, but only in the sense that the ride gets faster the more the rockets run. The trains build up heat and the grease gets thin, making the rockets run faster.

If you ride both sides at 4pm, one may be faster because it opened at 9am and the other opened at 1pm.

The reality is, other than one side being about 10-12 feet longer, the tracks are identical, only mirror images.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom