News Space Mountain exterior refurbishment - January 2023

No Name

It’s not a huge deal, but they literally could not have chosen a color that makes it look less contemporary or futuristic. A dark gray would’ve probably worked much better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nothing shouts 'futuristic' like 80s beige... :facepalm:

Just needs some nice midi music added now.
Nothing shouts outdated ideas of 'tomorrow' from the 60s like flat white panels. It should be more sculptured, more kinetic, more organic, more colorful. Say like...

1677244157427.png

Nothing shouts outdated ideas of 'tomorrow' from the 60s like flat white panels. It should be more sculptured, more kinetic, more organic, more colorful. Say like...

View attachment 700321
While this is a far more updated look for SM. It would be nice just to see them re-track the current version. If this was actually contemplated for MK I would be concerned they would just find a reason to cancel after tearing the current version down and say well Tron is there why do we need two enclosed rollercoasters anyway.

_caleb

I think it’d be cool if they made it glow on the lower potions to create the illusion that the “mountain” is hovering.

Question: Is the paint on the white portion of the mountain sparkly, or just white?

999th Happy Haunt

View attachment 700321
Idk if this is a hot take, but I really am not a fan of this look. It looks more like melted ice cream than an actual building. Space Mountain may be a product of the space age, but the rigid spires and beams surrounding the building maybe it look like it could actually be a functional facility or space port. Tron also has a flowy look to it's main canopy, but it is meant to look more digital in design so I don't really mind it.

James Alucobond

Idk if this is a hot take, but I really am not a fan of this look. It looks more like melted ice cream than an actual building. Space Mountain may be a product of the space age, but the rigid spires and beams surrounding the building maybe it look like it could actually be a functional facility or space port. Tron also has a flowy look to it's main canopy, but it is meant to look more digital in design so I don't really mind it.
Very much agreed. I wouldn’t mind seeing some of those garden and fountain elements in the courtyard make their way to our Tomorrowland, though.

Meeko77

agree, I kinda like the 70s/80s nod do I dare say? Its sort of reminiscent of Horizons and use to be the color anyway as marni pointed out. The rest of the land however..........someone needs to get their act together.

Would like to think this could lead to getting the original castle colors back at some point.
I agree - when I first saw a photo (without seeing the top spires), I briefly thought it was a picture of Horizons. I have nothing against beige, but I wish it were blue.

Journey of Water: Inspired by Avatar
It sounds like you have something here, if JoW had used an Avatar theme they could have leaned into the alien world / space travel vibe. May have been a better way to integrate it into EPCOT. Yes there is Avatar at AK, but at least the phosphorescent plants and Navi could have felt a little more future world while still having an edutainment aspect.

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 700321
I still don't get why anybody wants this exterior replacing the existing one at WDW - the LAST thing our Space Mountain needs is for them to mess with the iconic exterior.

Take care of absolutely everything else with it first and leave the one pristine element alone!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom