Space Mountain Dangerous?

CrashNet

Lee said:
I don't know the exact numbers, but I've personally seen Shaq ride it. So...I think most of us here would be safe.:lol:

WOW. How in the world did he fit in that thing? His knees must have been touching his ears! :lol:

KevinPage

Lee said:
PS - As I have to add to any Space Mountain thread.......GUT THAT CREAKY OLD PILE OF METAL!:cool:

As I will always attest about any roller coaster - LOOPS are garbage. The best coasters out there are Intamin hypers & CCI woodies.

Loops are an easy & incredibley boring way to try and make something exciting. It's all about the drops and transition between elements that make a ride great.

GUT the Serenity while we're at it :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

Galen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I don't know the exact numbers, but I've personally seen Shaq ride it. So...I think most of us here would be safe.:lol:

cac2889 said:
WOW. How in the world did he fit in that thing? His knees must have been touching his ears! :lol:

I'm 7ft tall and I can tell you it's an interesting experience. I've had times where the rivets in the launch tunnel has caught a few hairs on my head and ripped them out. Wasn't painful, just scary.

btw, for you tall people, back seat has more leg room.

Lee

Adventurer
KevinPage said:
GUT the Serenity while we're at it :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:
Dude...harsh!:eek:

I like loops myself...but Space Mtn. doesn't particularly need them. (Not to knock Intamin hypers, but I hope that pile of red Intamin track at CP is for a really twisted mega-looper.)

Why gut it?
Because it's an old, creaky, out-dated, bumpy, dusty, rickety pile of dung that is a sad representation of what MK's signature thrill ride should be. Disney's iconic coaster should be world class...top of the heap.
Gut it. Give it one long track (fast and smooth, no loops required...but I wouldn't complain), new trains with audio, new effects...make it a ride Disney can be proud of again.

1disneydood

I heard Disney's next movie will be feature Space Mountain. The heads that are chopped off during the day are taken into a HUGE head holding facility. There, the heads are placed in a jar and cryogenicly frozen, and all hardwired to a Leota like sphere which holds Walt's head. When enough heads are collected, their brainpower will be used to resurrect Walt's head, which will begin the reign of an indestructable new World Leader. Those who accept the new reign will be called Disneyists. The Disneyists will all be put to work building EPCOW- Enviornmental Prototype Community Of the World. Those who turn rebel will be captured, shrunken, truned into dolls, and all serve the rest of their lives in a HUGE clone of IASW. The conclusion of the movie will leave the Disneyists victorious in building a perfect retro styled EPCOW where everyone lives harmony.

...or do they? :lookaroun (cliffhanger)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Lee said:
Dude...harsh!:eek:

I like loops myself...but Space Mtn. doesn't particularly need them. (Not to knock Intamin hypers, but I hope that pile of red Intamin track at CP is for a really twisted mega-looper.)

Why gut it?
Because it's an old, creaky, out-dated, bumpy, dusty, rickety pile of dung that is a sad representation of what MK's signature thrill ride should be. Disney's iconic coaster should be world class...top of the heap.
Gut it. Give it one long track (fast and smooth, no loops required...but I wouldn't complain), new trains with audio, new effects...make it a ride Disney can be proud of again.
Would the existing building even be tall enough for a loop? I could see a cork screw fitting but the building looks like it doesn't quite have the height for a typical coaster loop.

nyy102

Well to comment on that, there are 100 foot tall coasters that feature multiple inversions, inclusing loops, so I don't think height is a problem, but I still don't think it needs loops. I do believe that SM needs to be updated (maybe a new track layout) or at least get the same love that the one in DL got, but I would never gut it, as it is still a personal favorite.

Madison

Master Yoda said:
Would the existing building even be tall enough for a loop? I could see a cork screw fitting but the building looks like it doesn't quite have the height for a typical coaster loop.

There's plenty of room for a loop or several in there. The loops they put on some of the portable coasters are very, very small, for example.

KevinPage

Master Yoda said:

NOOOOO not a corckscrew. That's even worse than a loop. Ride any of the old Arrow looping coasters and then tell me if you want a corkscrew. :D

You'll want Tylenol guaranteed. :brick: :brick: :brick:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
KevinPage said:
NOOOOO not a corckscrew. That's even worse than a loop. Ride any of the old Arrow looping coasters and then tell me if you want a corkscrew. :D

You'll want Tylenol guaranteed. :brick: :brick: :brick:
I love coasters but am by no means an enthusiast. I couldn't name 2 coaster design companies if you held a gun to my head. I never really think about who designed a coaster, what trade mark elements are in it, or even how it compares to other coasters. All I look at is if I want to get right back on it after the ride is over.

In regards to Space Mountain, my opinion of an impeding refurb it starting to be the same as WOL. It has been so bad for so long that I really don't care what they do with it, but just do something.

Would I like a loop?

Sure.

Would I like a launch?

You bet.

Would I think any less of it if it did not have either?

No.

If and when a refurb happens I will just hope for the best.

Madison

I've never had a problem with corkscrews -- especially the Arrow Development variety. The entrance can sometimes be a bit wonky, but the corkscrews themselves are usually as smooth as glass. They're bent at a constant radius, so it was hard for Arrow to screw them up.

Though, as a matter of disclosure, I don't really dislike Arrow rides much at all, nor do I find them to be rough. The transitions are often terrible, but they're not even in the same league as some of the worst stuff to come from, say, Vekoma.

Disneyland's new Space Mountain (from Vekoma, interestingly) is fan-freakin'-tastic. I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as much fun as it turned out to be. The music and effects are perfect and it's just so much fun to ride. Loops and things are meant to thrill. Space Mountain ought to be fun, not thrilling, I think.

iheartdisney91

ok no one bite my head off while saying this but this is possibly the oldest rumor in the book but... i heard a while back some one stood up and got their head taken clear off. like i said i have no idea if this is true!

Lee

Adventurer
Just for the record...
No guest has ever lost ANY appendage on Space Mountain.
One guy got hit by a falling camera once, I think......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom