News Space Mountain and Disneyland Railroad closing for refurbishment in early August 2024

PiratesMansion

In all seriousness, did they ever fix that issue on the railroad that was preventing them from running more than 1 or 2 trains at a time?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
In all seriousness, did they ever fix that issue on the railroad that was preventing them from running more than 1 or 2 trains at a time?
I thought I'd read (or maybe someone here had said) that it was the NOS train station fire that messed up the track signaling or something and they had to go to fewer trains due to that since they had to do signaling over radio. Not sure how true any of that is, but I think I saw on one of Fresh Baked's construction videos that they were working on that building that caught fire, so maybe it will be ready and the train is going down for testing? That or it is just a standard refurb.

I was also hoping maybe with Space Mountain going down that it means they will finally fix the lights in tunnel.

TP2000

You don’t love the completely dark tunnel? I actually prefer it to having half the lights broken.

With today's LED technology, there's really no valid reason for burned out lightbulbs. Especially for a massive entertainment company like Disney with a market capitalization of (checks Google after the closing bell...) $186 Billion! But they can't pay a Union tradesman to change the light bulbs? :banghead:

And yet how many cubicle drones do they have on the payroll working at the Parks Blog to deliver that pablum to dozens?

Hopefully during this mid-summer rehab (odd!), they swap the bulbs out for LED's and then don't have to worry changing them again until around 2040.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

With today's LED technology, there's really no valid reason for burned out lightbulbs. Especially for a massive entertainment company like Disney with a market capitalization of (checks Google after the closing bell...) $186 Billion! But they can't pay a Union tradesman to change the light bulbs? :banghead:

Yeah. It just can’t be that difficult or expensive. I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but the tunnel has been totally dark for 6 months? A year? Seems excessive.

And yet how many cubicle drones do they have on the payroll working at the Parks Blog to deliver that pablum to dozens?

🤣

Phroobar

Yeah. It just can’t be that difficult or expensive. I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but the tunnel has been totally dark for 6 months? A year? Seems excessive.

🤣
You got to remember someone has to open a work order that problem exists. No cast member has ever noticed or cares. Then facilities has to check to see what needs to be done. Then a work order is created. That work order is scheduled and approved. Parts are ordered but on backorder. Finally someone realized there was a package from UPS with the bulbs. Ride operations has to shut down the ride for maintenance. Finally a maintenance guy comes over and screws in the bulb but count's it as five times the hours on his card so the union can justify his existence. The ride needs to go through a period of testing before opening back up.

It all takes time man!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As I recall (don't remember where I saw it at this point) there were rumors about some issues with the lights in the tunnel that required them to redo the whole lighting in that area, which is why they've been off. It was one of the things they were working on during the last refurb, I believe I saw a complete switch to LEDs, but something caused the work to not be completed which is why they are still off. I assume this refurb is to complete that work, along with whatever else is scheduled.

I would honestly be surprised if Space is closed longer than a week or two.

Phroobar

As I recall (don't remember where I saw it at this point) there were rumors about some issues with the lights in the tunnel that required them to redo the whole lighting in that area, which is why they've been off. It was one of the things they were working on during the last refurb, I believe I saw a complete switch to LEDs, but something caused the work to not be completed which is why they are still off. I assume this refurb is to complete that work, along with whatever else is scheduled.

I would honestly be surprised if Space is closed longer than a week or two.
Probably the circuit breaker he forgot to turn back on.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
just watched this video tonight - on one of the projections inside the dome, I saw the beginning of the word “nebula”?, I’m assuming. Happens around 6:18.

Here’s a screenshot

IMG_1230.png

Phroobar

Funny, but I believe the rumor was there was a huge back order of parts that caused the delay, but who knows the reality.
Maybe. They must work with certain vendors I assume. I bet when it was built, it needed a certain part is no longer common or carried. It seems like an administration problem to find a new vendor. It's not like supply chains are at a standstill anymore.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe. They must work with certain vendors I assume. I bet when it was built, it needed a certain part is no longer common or carried. It seems like an administration problem to find a new vendor. It's not like supply chains are at a standstill anymore.
If they are one off parts that aren't able to be sourced anymore then its not a matter of finding new vendors it a matter of upgrading the tech to modern specs.

I recall rumors of Space still using Windows 95 years ago, don't know if that ever got upgraded. So its not unheard of that things just aren't available anymore.

Phroobar

If they are one off parts that aren't able to be sourced anymore then its not a matter of finding new vendors it a matter of upgrading the tech to modern specs.

I recall rumors of Space still using Windows 95 years ago, don't know if that ever got upgraded. So its not unheard of that things just aren't available anymore.
Where I work it is a big deal to move on to new operation systems when End of Life is approaching to stay compliant with licenses and patching. Disney's IT should be on it just to keep support and patches with Microsoft going. My guess is they are moving off of Server 2016 to 2019 or 2022. At least that is what I'm doing. There is no way anything at Disney is running Windows 95.

But then again when buying annual passes, I sware they are using a Commadore 64 on a 1200baud modem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom