Southern Californian (Maybe all of California, too?) Local Eats

Mac Tonight

The other day I tried devoured Magnolia Bakery's Banana Pudding.
SO GOOD. It's such a simple thing, but man, they know how to make it.

They're based out of NY, but they have a location on 3rd Street in LA.

Next up on my to try list is Cluck & Blaze. Really want to try their Nashville Hot Breakfast Burrito.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The other day I tried devoured Magnolia Bakery's Banana Pudding.
SO GOOD. It's such a simple thing, but man, they know how to make it.

They're based out of NY, but they have a location on 3rd Street in LA.

Next up on my to try list is Cluck & Blaze. Really want to try their Nashville Hot Breakfast Burrito.
I've never heard of Cluck & Blaze, but I love hot chicken and will add it to my list. I go to Howlin' Rays in Chinatown when I have lots of time to spare (the wait is almost always guaranteed to be 2+ hours long).

Mac Tonight

I've never heard of Cluck & Blaze, but I love hot chicken and will add it to my list. I go to Howlin' Rays in Chinatown when I have lots of time to spare (the wait is almost always guaranteed to be 2+ hours long).
I only heard about them through Instagram, but the food looks legit. The original is in Long Beach but they just opened a new location in Glendale.

There's also a burrito place just north of Anaheim I wanna try called Fatima's Grill. They definitely use Hot Cheetos in their burritos... if you're into that sort of thing.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I only heard about them through Instagram, but the food looks legit. The original is in Long Beach but they just opened a new location in Glendale.

There's also a burrito place just north of Anaheim I wanna try called Fatima's Grill. They definitely use Hot Cheetos in their burritos... if you're into that sort of thing.
I’ll look that up!

mickEblu

Just met up my uncle for lunch today at Gus’s Fried Chicken in Burbank. Easily the best fried chicken in California. They have 3 other locations but im only vouching for the Burbank location as I haven’t tried any of the other ones. Perfectly fried and juicy on the inside with a nice kick. But not those Hot chicken spices (that’s aren’t my fave). Crispy but not over battered. Comes with a very delicious portion of bbq beans and coleslaw. So I could feel better about myself I got a side of collard greens too.

My order when eating a half chicken. Leg first. Then wing. Then it’s breast or thigh depending on my mood. The breast are so juicy here that if you rip off a piece, juice literally squirts out at you.

mickEblu

YES. I've also been craving Porto's lately. I never leave without getting a Cuban sandwich. I agree about the potato balls and really enjoy the chicken croquettes, too. Not to mention the desserts. Delicious.

Nice choices. These are basically my go to items there. Meat pies are good too. Ropa vieja isn’t half bad.

For sweets it’s the pastelitos with guava ( no cheese) and the pastellitos with cheese with coarse sugar on top

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Nice choices. These are basically my go to items there. Meat pies are good too. Ropa vieja isn’t half bad.
I haven’t tried the meat pies, nor the Ropa Vieja. Adding those to my list!

I’d like the try the guava desserts, too. I tend to get into the habit of getting the same things at restaurants I’m familiar with. I’d like to eventually stop doing that lol.

mickEblu

I haven’t tried the meat pies, nor the Ropa Vieja. Adding those to my list!

I’d like the try the guava desserts, too. I tend to get into the habit of getting the same things at restaurants I’m familiar with. I’d like to eventually stop doing that lol.

Lol Same here! It’s like whatever I get on the first time that’s it for the rest of my life. Lol. Unless it’s a chain I’ve been to million times with fam and friends I might switch it up every once in a while. With something like Porto’s, family has been going there or catering from there for forever so you get to try all the items through the years. Not there are that many choices when it comes to savory stuff.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Lol Same here! It’s like whatever I get on the first time that’s it for the rest of my life. Lol. Unless it’s a chain I’ve been to million times with fam and friends I might switch it up every once in a while. With something like Porto’s, family has been going there or catering from there for forever so you get to try all the items through the years. Not there are that many choices when it comes to savory stuff.
I’ve been getting the same chicken quesadilla and taco at Taco Bell for like 20 years now. My Taco Bell visits have significantly reduced over the years, but the rare times I do go, best believe I’m getting the quesadilla lol.

You’re right, Porto’s doesn’t have a large savory menu. I’m going to try something different the next time I go.

mickEblu

I’ve been getting the same chicken quesadilla and taco at Taco Bell for like 20 years now. My Taco Bell visits have significantly reduced over the years, but the rare times I do go, best believe I’m getting the quesadilla lol.

You’re right, Porto’s doesn’t have a large savory menu. I’m going to try something different the next time I go.

What!? Thats my go to item at Taco Bell too! I always ask them to do it extra grilled. I used to like the steak “taquitos” but they got rid of em a long time ago. They were basically rolled up steak quesadillas. I always have to throw in one of the regular tacos too. By the time I get to it as my third item it’s usually pretty underwhelming. But let’s be honest Taco Bell food is just a vessel to consume their hot sauce.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
What!? Thats my go to item at Taco Bell too! I always ask them to do it extra grilled. I used to like the steak “taquitos” but they got rid of em a long time ago. They were basically rolled up steak quesadillas. I always have to throw in one of the regular tacos too. By the time I get to it as my third item it’s usually pretty underwhelming. But let’s be honest Taco Bell food is just a vessel to consume their hot sauce.
I used to get those, too!!! They were so good, why did they get rid of them? I would order one of those with my quesadilla and taco. They were small enough to be snacks, which is what I liked. They should bring those back.

Taco Bell’s hot sauce is 🔥🔥.

mickEblu

I used to get those, too!!! They were so good, why did they get rid of them? I would order one of those with my quesadilla and taco. They were small enough to be snacks, which is what I liked. They should bring those back.

Taco Bell’s hot sauce is 🔥🔥.

I’m getting real big foodie vibes from you.
@raven24 I know! They were the perfect little snack. They probably got rid of them because their wasn’t as much profit in them since it was actual steak? Maybe not as much as something stuffed with that ground “meat.” Or maybe people weren’t ordering them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom