Sorry, Another New Camera Thread

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
I want to apologize up front about another asking what kind of camera should I buy, but through my lurking I have found the advice here to be very informative. This is my first post here at WDWMAGIC, but I have been lurking for a while now. My last trip to WDW was 1992 on a high school band trip, and the next trip will not be until 2012. By that time my 15 month old daughter will be old enough to appreciate the trip more.

Now to the camera question. :lol:

I was considering purchasing the D40 as my first DSLR until I read that the D3000 was replacing the D40. I have seen some conflicting opinions regarding the D40 versus the D3000. I believe that Ken Rockwell (I realize he is regarded by many here as a uhhhh, well I won't repeat it in my first post) :) said the D3000 was the worst DSLR that Nikon has produced and one should get the D40 instead. So... what is the skinny on the D40 versus the D3000? That is really where my new camera budget stands.

Currently I use an Olympus C-770 that allows manually setting shutter speed, f-stop etc, has an external hot shoe, 38 - 380mm equivalent in 35mm photography lens. I really like it, but the lag is sometimes unbearable. By the time it decides what it wants to do we have gone from really cute baby shot to a "hey look at the bug on the ceiling" baby shot.

Its time to upgrade my camera. :)

Thanks for your help,
Jeffrey

RiversideBunny

Take a look at the D60 instead of the D40 if you can swing it. The D60 is newer.
The Canon Rebel series would also be good.

You could also consider a one piece camera with lots of features, like the Canon G11. Those work well for walking around the parks at WDW.

Good luck.
:)

PhotoDave219

DOnt apologize. This stuff is changing rapidly with new Consumer models coming out every 6-9 months and new Pro models every 18 months.

I'm having trouble keeping up.

WDWFigment

Take a look at the D60 instead of the D40 if you can swing it. The D60 is newer.
The Canon Rebel series would also be good.

You could also consider a one piece camera with lots of features, like the Canon G11. Those work well for walking around the parks at WDW.

Good luck.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the first piece of this advice. The D60 is newer, but it doesn't incorporate any (in my opinion) useful features over the D40.

That said, I wouldn't get either. Technology is changing so rapidly that both of these models are fairly out of date now. If you can swing it financially, the D5000 is a sweet camera and a nice "little brother" to the D90.

I would also agree that the G11 is a very nice option.

DOnt apologize. This stuff is changing rapidly with new Consumer models coming out every 6-9 months and new Pro models every 18 months.

I'm having trouble keeping up.

Agreed. There is a veritable arms race between Canon and Nikon. Both are releasing new products like crazy. The end result is good for the consumer, though!

I haven't touched the D3000, and haven't read any reviews of it so I can't give an informed opinion. That said, besides the normal complaints about Rockwell being an idiot, he often holds odd or contrary opinions to the rest of the photography community just for 'shock value'. That could very well be the case with the D3000. I honestly would doubt that anything Canon or Nikon would put out right now would be less-than-stellar. Competition is too fierce right now (besides, all of the sensors are trickling down from higher models, so there isn't a whole lot to screw up).

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Here is where I kinda stand. I have done more research and it seems that the D3000 does not perform at high ISO as well as the D40. In fact, it was stated that the D40 outperforms the D3000 at as low as 200. http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UgPV

I have thought seriously about the D5000, but I don't care alot about live view (in fact, I get a little irritated when I see people holding thier camera out using the screen when there is a perfectly good viewfinder) and I don't see alot of need for video in a still camera. It seems that the CMOS sensor would be worth paying a little extra over the CCD in the D40 or 3000. That being said, I have seen a D40 on clearance at Best Buy for about $425 with a note that they are out of the kit lens. So I could pick that up and spend a bit more on a better lens that I would have gotten in the kit in the first place OR spend $701 for the D5000 with the typical kit lens.

I also looked at the G11, and I really think I want to go the DSLR route with interchangable lenses.

WDWFigment

Thanks for the help. Here is where I kinda stand. I have done more research and it seems that the D3000 does not perform at high ISO as well as the D40. In fact, it was stated that the D40 outperforms the D3000 at as low as 200. http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UgPV

I have thought seriously about the D5000, but I don't care alot about live view (in fact, I get a little irritated when I see people holding thier camera out using the screen when there is a perfectly good viewfinder) and I don't see alot of need for video in a still camera. It seems that the CMOS sensor would be worth paying a little extra over the CCD in the D40 or 3000. That being said, I have seen a D40 on clearance at Best Buy for about $425 with a note that they are out of the kit lens. So I could pick that up and spend a bit more on a better lens that I would have gotten in the kit in the first place OR spend $701 for the D5000 with the typical kit lens.

I also looked at the G11, and I really think I want to go the DSLR route with interchangable lenses.

I've seen the D40 new with the kit lens for $350 (watch SlickDeals.net) multiple times, so I wouldn't buy it for $425. I wouldn't buy it from Best Buy on principle anyway. That place sucks.

I used to fall into the hating live view camp, too, but since getting the Tokina 11-16, I've used the camera really close to the ground, in awkward positions where the viewfinder wouldn't work. I rarely use it, but it's nice to have if needed. In any case, if you don't like it, don't use it. I don't care about video on a DSLR (right now at least), so I don't use that function on the D90.

RonAnnArbor

Actually, that price at Best Buy sounds REALLY good right now. Since the D40 was dc'd with the announcement of the D3000, the remaining D40's at reputable dealers have crept back up to 499.00 with the kit lens. Here's the current rates: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=d40+kit+lens&oe=UTF-8&cid=17529841277291694764&sa=title#p

Usually, Best Buy is one of the WORST places to buy a dSLR or accessories. They don't understand the dSLR business as a corporation (individual store employees might be pretty good) so everything at Best Buy is overpriced.

If in doubt, check Amazon.com for the going prices. You'll often find that the current going rates are hundreds of dollars less than what Best Buy offers them at.

The 425.00 body is a good deal. The standard d40 kit lens runs about 60 dollars used. You can get better glass for your D40 (make sure the lens you select has a built-in autofocus motor, because the D40 body doesn't have one).

Amazon currently has the D40 WITH the kit lens for 459.00 -- a GREAT buy for this camera, and better than the Best Buy Offer:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG

Another note: the way of the dSLR world is to include video in the camera as well. You might want to reconsider, spend more, and get the D90 or the D5000 (or even the D60, though I wouldn't recommend that one). They also have AF motor's built into the camera, so they are compatible with a much larger range of lenses.

A final note: If you are buying the dSLR solely cause you want to use it at WDW -- don't!!! I go out of my way NEVER to take by D300 or D700 with me to the world -- they are too heavy, too bulky, and always in your way. There is nowhere to check them when you go on rides, and unless you have someone always waiting for you to get off the attraction, you have to figure out ways to lug them aboard in a backpack, and then protect them while on the ride from getting wet, etc.

I throw a Panasonic ZS3 in my pocket and go. It has better IQ than the Canon G9/10 series ( I have not tried the G11, but it's too big to throw in a pocket and go), and a much larger range. It also takes amazing night shots with just the snap of the button -- a great feature for WDW.

Every single photo in my WDW gallery is taken with a point and shoot:

http://ronannarbor.smugmug.com/Vacation/Walt-Disney-World-December-08

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
I am still on the fence a little. I was looking last night and the D5000 with the 18-55 lens is $699 and just a D5000 body is $599... until Oct 31 at B&H. I am really considering going that route so I have something to grow into. Although I don't want to buy too quick, I don't know how the camera market works. Do prices typically dip some for Christmas or do they go up a bit.

I am not buying a camera just for the purpose of going to WDW, as I said it won't be until 2012 before that happens anyway. I am missing alot of shots right now of my 15 month old because of shutter lag, and its irritating. I used to use a Canon AE-1, and I just would like to get back into the "real camera" realm again.

RonAnnArbor

Camera prices stay pretty similar throughout the year. You should also check your local Costco, because they tend to mass market Nikon systems on big palettes in their stores around the holidays -- they will probably have the D3000 and D5000 out this christmas. I have always found that Amazon has the best pulse on current prices from day to day -- checking their current price as well as following the "also available from these dealers" link will give you the lowest prices on the items you are looking at. They change almost daily during the holidays.

Nikon itself offers rebates during the holidays -- they only last a few days or a week, and they feature their top of the line lenses and cameras -- they don't usually rebate anything for the under-1000 dollar items.

If you want to get the "pulse" of the nikon world, check out:

http://nikonrumors.com/prices

WDWFigment

Actually, that price at Best Buy sounds REALLY good right now. Since the D40 was dc'd with the announcement of the D3000, the remaining D40's at reputable dealers have crept back up to 499.00 with the kit lens. Here's the current rates: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=d40+kit+lens&oe=UTF-8&cid=17529841277291694764&sa=title#p

Usually, Best Buy is one of the WORST places to buy a dSLR or accessories. They don't understand the dSLR business as a corporation (individual store employees might be pretty good) so everything at Best Buy is overpriced.

If in doubt, check Amazon.com for the going prices. You'll often find that the current going rates are hundreds of dollars less than what Best Buy offers them at.

The 425.00 body is a good deal. The standard d40 kit lens runs about 60 dollars used. You can get better glass for your D40 (make sure the lens you select has a built-in autofocus motor, because the D40 body doesn't have one).

Amazon currently has the D40 WITH the kit lens for 459.00 -- a GREAT buy for this camera, and better than the Best Buy Offer:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG

Another note: the way of the dSLR world is to include video in the camera as well. You might want to reconsider, spend more, and get the D90 or the D5000 (or even the D60, though I wouldn't recommend that one). They also have AF motor's built into the camera, so they are compatible with a much larger range of lenses.

A final note: If you are buying the dSLR solely cause you want to use it at WDW -- don't!!! I go out of my way NEVER to take by D300 or D700 with me to the world -- they are too heavy, too bulky, and always in your way. There is nowhere to check them when you go on rides, and unless you have someone always waiting for you to get off the attraction, you have to figure out ways to lug them aboard in a backpack, and then protect them while on the ride from getting wet, etc.

I throw a Panasonic ZS3 in my pocket and go. It has better IQ than the Canon G9/10 series ( I have not tried the G11, but it's too big to throw in a pocket and go), and a much larger range. It also takes amazing night shots with just the snap of the button -- a great feature for WDW.

Every single photo in my WDW gallery is taken with a point and shoot:

http://ronannarbor.smugmug.com/Vacation/Walt-Disney-World-December-08

1) The D60 and D5000 do not have internal focus motors.

2) I disagree that $459 w/ lens is a great price for this camera. There have been multiple deals for the same package at $350 over the course of the summer. See: http://slickdeals.net/sdsearch.php?mode=forum&showposts=0&sdsearch_archive=0&search=d40 (there is a lot to sift through there and no current deals, but they will be back as merchants begin to clear their inventory). In any case, just because that's $40 below market average doesn't necessarily make it a good deal. For the technology, I don't think that's a good price.

3) Regarding taking your DSLR to the parks, that's a matter of personal preference. I take a lot of gear to the parks, and have no issue with it. WDW photography is really the only type of photography in which I have any interest. Maybe OP here is the same way. Maybe not. I have never had an issue taking all of my gear (4 lenses, camera body, and tripod) on any attractions.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Interesting tidbit. Contrary to what Nikon has to say, the Nikon D40/X/60 will mount pre-AI lenses without hesitation. Granted, you'll be completely manual... but if you don't mind that, you'll be able to buy good quality used glass for pennies on the dollar compared to newer lenses.

KeithVH

-SNIP-

-SNIP-
First off, great shots you have there.

But even knowing this will cause an argument, I just can't buy the above statement. Even assuming Panasonic fixed all their recognized noise problems (they may have), I'm trying to wrap my head the differences in the two chips:

Canon - 1/1.7 with 28 MP/cm² density
Panasonic - 1/2.33 with 45 MP/cm² density

I just can't see how any firmware can over the limitations in the smaller, denser chip. Yes, I have one (A650IS, same chip and lens as a G10) but have to admit I've only see some Pany pics and haven't handled one.

GaBookworm

3) Regarding taking your DSLR to the parks, that's a matter of personal preference. I take a lot of gear to the parks, and have no issue with it. WDW photography is really the only type of photography in which I have any interest. Maybe OP here is the same way. Maybe not. I have never had an issue taking all of my gear (4 lenses, camera body, and tripod) on any attractions.

Can you pse give a brief list of where you use each of those 4 lenses and what they are?
I know you like to get shots late at night when the park is closing but what else?
Tks.

WDWFigment

Can you pse give a brief list of where you use each of those 4 lenses and what they are?
I know you like to get shots late at night when the park is closing but what else?
Tks.

This is a really broad question so I don't know how to answer it, but I will do my best. The lenses I take are: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikkor 18-200mm VR, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Practically anything can be a viable photo subject. It's just a matter of having the eye to 'see' a shot or envision it, knowing the settings to make the shot happen, and taking the picture.

PhotoDave219

This is a really broad question so I don't know how to answer it, but I will do my best. The lenses I take are: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikkor 18-200mm VR, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Practically anything can be a viable photo subject. It's just a matter of having the eye to 'see' a shot or envision it, knowing the settings to make the shot happen, and taking the picture.

I'm really glad you get these questions now..... LOL.....

SO what does your wife shoot with?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom