News Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom closing Jan 24th 2021

note2001

Instead of just throwing away the technology and everyone mothballing their cards, Disney needs to turn the game into an interactive app. Using the camera kids would still hold out their cards to play.

I'm positive kids and collectors would buy special release cards on shopdisney.

Then again, Disney tends to overlook obvious money makers.

dreamfinder

Still wish they had actually fleshed out the offline version more. The cards had more details/specs on them than anything the game ever used. The home version was a copout, I really think someone at WDI has a full fledged set of rules for home play, like other deck building games.

Skywise

Disappointing but not unexpected given the current trend to race to the bottom and there was no direct profit in the card sales. To be fair though, trading card games have become a little passe' - but, like the magic bands, these served as good ways of getting mementos of what are increasingly exorbitantly expensive visits.

Again, Universal manages to outdo Disney with their interactive wand system in the Harry Potter lands.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Another site said Fire Station going into refurb.

The card game was interesting, but, had it's issues. Not much 'gaming' in the game. First time you play it, you automatically win. Second time through, you mostly had to fight every fight twice to win. There was supposed to be some strategy in that a villain would be weak to a particular attack, so, all you needed to do in the two times it took to overcome them was to figure out which type, then find that type of card from your collection of 256 cards and use that so you can beat them in one attack!

Not to mention how some of the video sites were nearly impossible to see because of ambient light (or having the sun shine directly on them).

Not to mention how as you're waiting your turn, you see exactly how a fight goes, and so, in your turn, the encounter is anticlimactic.

Well, this is a win for Universal wands v. MK card game.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Another site said Fire Station gong into refurb.

The card game was interesting, but, had it's issues. Not much 'gaming' in the game. First time you play it, you automatically win. Second time through, you mostly had to fight every fight twice to win. There was supposed to be some strategy in that a villain would be weak to a particular attack, so, all you needed to do in the two times it took to overcome them was to figure out which type, then find that type of card from your collection of 256 cards and use that so you can beat them in one attack!

Not to mention how some of the video sites were nearly impossible to see because of ambient light (or having the sun shine directly on them).

Not to mention how as you're waiting your turn, you see exactly how a fight goes, and so, in your turn, the encounter is anticlimactic.

Well, this is a win for Universal wands v. MK card game.

Well there was a solution to even the difficult levels: Use the special event cards. The system was able to identify and use multiple cards for a "battle" I used a baseball card collector sheet with 12 cards (3x4), all Very Merry and Not So Scary. The only thing that varied on the difficulty levels is the number of battles per villain. Entry-level was: Intro, crest, battle, battle, boss. On an average crowd level day, it took ~ 2.5 hours to do a complete run-through.

JoeCamel

Well there was a solution to even the difficult levels: Use the special event cards. The system was able to identify and use multiple cards for a "battle" I used a baseball card collector sheet with 12 cards (3x4), all Very Merry and Not So Scary. The only thing that varied on the difficulty levels is the number of battles per villain. Entry-level was: Intro, crest, battle, battle, boss. On an average crowd level day, it took ~ 2.5 hours to do a complete run-through.
Right, I was able to get two rounds in if I rope dropped it. Skill was in doing hard level in the shortest amount of challenges/time so was not a walk in the park but the morning exercise in the park was. Wish they had been able to keep Jonathan on to expand it.

Raineman

I do feel bad for the people who enjoyed the game and made it part of each trip, but I personally won't lose any sleep over it. We played once for about an hour and a half, and that's pretty much it. I found there was an issue at more than one location with the portals reading our cards. We did the Pirates treasure hunt once, and we liked that alot more-a smaller area to cover, physical, moving set pieces at each location, and activated by a MB instead of reading a card (plus, the Fastpass rewards you get after completing). It would be nice to see Disney develop a PC/mobile device version of the game, where the device camera/webcam scans the cards.

UNCgolf

I found the game very loud and distracting, I much prefer the way they integrated Kim/Perry props into world showcase or the pirate adventure.

It may have been loud at one point, but it certainly wasn't when my GF played it last January. Even standing right in front of the screen you couldn't really hear what anyone was saying. They were also generally hidden pretty well in areas where guests don't go, or at least don't pay much attention to.

With that said, when we played some of the screens were difficult to see (in addition to being hard to hear) and it often didn't read the cards we held up. There was a 50% success rate at most; it clearly needed some upgrades.

Overall, though, I thought it was a fun addition to the parks and I hope they plan to replace it with something similar. It's another hit to capacity in a park that needs more, not less.

Last edited:

Kingoglow

and stuff that kids can do without the phone, we need to get people more engaged with the world around them, not whats on their phone screen... Sad to see this go
A screen is a screen. Not sure that keeping SotMK around helps the cause you say that you want to fight for.

dreamfinder912

A screen is a screen. Not sure that keeping SotMK around helps the cause you say that you want to fight for.

right, theyre interacting with a portal screen, but that's not the same as being face down in a phone all day. i think ppete1975 meant "something other than the smartphone" for kids to look at. In SOTMK you're using a physical map and physical cards find and interact with portals. not scrambling all over SWGE staring at your phone for a QR code attached to themed junk piles or for a small interactive moment somewhere in the world showcase (if it works).

ppete1975

You’re interacting with your surroundings. Kids and adults are lost in their phones. Ive seen people walk into walls, poles strollers me. Disney is beautiful, look around enjoy the sights sounds and smells. This was a quick distraction that you interacted with not lost in a screen for hours on hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom