Song of the South/Splash Mountain question

Connor002

1disneydood said:
The past is the past, can't change it, and none of us nowadays have ANYTHING to do with it.

I wouldn't go that far... what would historians do for a job if that was true? :lookaroun

wannab@dis

Mecha Figment said:
there are not so legal ways of aquiring DVD ripps ... .
If they are 'not so legal', then why highlight their existence on this site and possibly cause WDWMagic.com/Steve problems? ;)

Tom

Beta Return
wannab@dis said:
If they are 'not so legal', then why highlight their existence on this site and possibly cause WDWMagic.com/Steve problems? ;)

Yeah, that, and I'm not good at acquiring anything online, legal or otherwise. If I can't just go to an online store and buy it, I'm lost.

majorrfb

srkingdom2 said:
Ok so THATS the reason "The Song of The South" has not been released does anyone think its a bit rediculous or am I by muself here?
A good friend my mine was in the UK last year, a sent me a copy of SOS. It obviously available their

WDFAN1977

Has the movie not been release by Disney in the US because of the fear of backlash from the racial stereotypes in the movie? I personally have not seen the movie since I was very small so I do not remember much about it, but based on some of the comments on this thread I wonder:veryconfu

LoriMistress

brkgnews said:
In most popular depictions, the tar baby was shown looking like the racial stereotype of a person in blackface. That's one of the reasons it is considered offensive.
Oh, I get it. F***ing Disney PC every ride they come across.:dazzle:

maxime29

Premium Member
I find it funny now that you have shows like Dave Chapelle (sp?) and "The Boondocks". These show can be considered stereotyping and racist, but I have not heard any uprising about it. They make SOTS look like child's play.

I remember hearing from Jim Hill that Buena Vista Home Entertainment was actually planning on re-releasing the movie in 2006. Don't know if it's still gonna happen. Article should be somewhere on his website if you wanna read up on it.

Glad I was able to plug a DVD copy of it from emule. I couldn't get a good copy where the audio synced with the video properly.

Connor002

maxime29 said:
I find it funny now that you have shows like Dave Chapelle (sp?) and "The Boondocks". These show can be considered stereotyping and racist, but I have not heard any uprising about it. They make SOTS look like child's play.

Both of witch are spearheaded by, not to sound racist, African Americans. [LINE EDITED], but Disney is held to a "higher standard." I would guess that in the current political atmosphere, Song of the South will be a long way off.

MSTINKHERBELL01

Connor002 said:
Both of witch are spearheaded by, not to sound racist, African Americans. Apparently it's ok for them to make fun of themselves, but Disney is held to a "higher standard." I would guess that in the current political atmosphere, Song of the South will be a long way off.

Um Connor, don't go there! I left this topic alone only because I could give a rats behind about the use of the word "tar baby". It is offensive to some African Americans (my grandma and great grands who lived through times when the word was used negatively) but I for one don't see it as such in this time. Being an African American it is never okay IMO to make fun of "my own people" or any people for that matter.

So the "them" that you speak of doesnt include all of us. Thanks

Connor002

MSTINKHERBELL01 said:
Um Connor, don't go there! I left this topic alone only because I could give a rats behind about the use of the word "tar baby". It is offensive to some African Americans (my grandma and great grands who lived through times when the word was used negatively) but I for one don't see it as such in this time. Being an African American it is never okay IMO to make fun of "my own people" or any people for that matter.

I didn't want to go there either, but I couldn't help it. I was hoping people would be able to look past it and see the point I was trying to make, but alas, it is not so. Might as well go edit it...

MSTINKHERBELL01

Connor002 said:
I didn't want to go there either, but I couldn't help it. I was hoping people would be able to look past it and see the point I was trying to make, but alas, it is not so. Might as well go edit it...

Don't edit on this persons account...I made my point and i'm done with it as of now. Good Day.

wannab@dis

MSTINKHERBELL01 said:

I really don't think Connor meant anything negative and his opinion is similar to the things that I have seen many times. If one person says something, it's ok, if someone else says it, it's wrong. It happens...

Connor002

wannab@dis said:
I really don't think Connor meant anything negative and his opinion is similar to the things that I have seen many times. If one person says something, it's ok, if someone else says it, it's wrong. It happens...

Exactly.

brkgnews

Guys, we've managed to keep this post civil for a lot longer than I thought was possible. Let's quit while we're ahead.

You know -- peace, love, joy, etc. ;)

(edited for typos)

AEfx

It's funny, because SotS is one of those things that is much bigger in legend than in fact. The movie just isn't very good; it's slow, plodding, and poor acting tarnishes the experience. I know many people want to see it and for completists it is important, but just don't get too worried if you haven't seen it yet; it's more a curiousity now than anything else - if it weren't for the controversy I think it would be largely forgotten.

AEfx

Epcot82Guy

AEfx said:
It's funny, because SotS is one of those things that is much bigger in legend than in fact. The movie just isn't very good; it's slow, plodding, and poor acting tarnishes the experience. I know many people want to see it and for completists it is important, but just don't get too worried if you haven't seen it yet; it's more a curiousity now than anything else - if it weren't for the controversy I think it would be largely forgotten.

AEfx

I agree. I also think that factors into the release decision. While the backlash might not be huge because it simply isn't THAT bad, there also isn't that much of an audience to be gained. Aside from huge fans of Splash or those curious about it from the scandal surrounding it, it is likely not going to bring much in. THerefore, the backlash and production costs would likely outweigh the profits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom