Something needs to change with bus transportation at Saratoga Springs because of DTD

tjkraz

The problem is EVERYBODY is paying for the use of buses whether they are staying at a resort or not. Each resort does not have exclusive buses, they are all part of the fleet.

Well, yes and no.

DVC members are billed for transportation every year. At Saratoga Springs, it comes to nearly $7 million annually (hard telling what it may be next year if gas prices don't correct soon.) On my 150 points at Saratoga Springs, I'm paying $73 this year for bus and boat transportation whether I use it or not.

Given those dollars, it's easy to see why some get upset at any perceived overcrowding by those who are not paying $.49 per point every year.

What we do NOT really know is whether that $7 million covers the entire operating budget for SSR transportation. It's entirely possible that Disney is kicking in additional dollars, which would essentially make this a moot point. If Disney is paying part of the bill, it seems within their right to turn a blind eye to the parking violators if they so wish.

Realistically, yes, we all share Disney transportation that others are funding in some manner. Any guest that rides on the Resorts Monorail is using an amenity that Bay Lake Tower owners are helping to fund. Those who use the boats on Crescent Lake are partially riding on the dollar of Beach Club and BoardWalk owners.

Overall my sense is that we SSR owners probably make out better than many others. Many of us undoubtedly make use of buses, boats and monorails in other parts of Walt Disney World. Even with the parking violators, I doubt that the number of non-guests using SSR transportation outnumbers other areas of WDW.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
At Saratoga Springs, it comes to nearly $7 million annually (hard telling what it may be next year if gas prices don't correct soon.) On my 150 points at Saratoga Springs, I'm paying $73 this year for bus and boat transportation whether I use it or not.

You hit the nail on the head. Saratoga Springs is paying for the buses and should get a level of service that is excepted at Disney. Disney does not run buses from the parking at DTD to the parks so that people will not park for free. So they use the SS buses paid for by the DVC members. My home resort is BWV, but the cost of buses there are share with Disney for they also support the Boardwalk area and Boardwalk Inn.

For SS, Disney should either place additional buses going to and from SS at thier cost to bring service to an exceptable level or add buses from DTD to the parks or inforce the parking rules at DTD. Just becuase you have a ticket to one of the parks, it does not allow you to park for free at DTD and ride buses paid for by DVC members.

Pioneer Hall

You hit the nail on the head. Saratoga Springs is paying for the buses and should get a level of service that is excepted at Disney. Disney does not run buses from the parking at DTD to the parks so that people will not park for free. So they use the SS buses paid for by the DVC members. My home resort is BWV, but the cost of buses there are share with Disney for they also support the Boardwalk area and Boardwalk Inn.

For SS, Disney should either place additional buses going to and from SS at thier cost to bring service to an exceptable level or add buses from DTD to the parks or inforce the parking rules at DTD. Just becuase you have a ticket to one of the parks, it does not allow you to park for free at DTD and ride buses paid for by DVC members.

I'm sorry, but did you read the rest of his post or only the part that you quoted and highlighted? He said that he wasn't sure if the entire cost is billed to DVC members or not. I personally believe that Disney does chip in a bit for cash guests staying at the resort and the day visitors passes probably have something in there for transportation as well.

tjkraz

I personally believe that Disney does chip in a bit for cash guests staying at the resort and the day visitors passes probably have something in there for transportation as well.

I agree...they probably do chip in something. Disney still owns several hundred thousand unsold points at SSR so they are definitely paying the dues represented by their holdings.

Additionally, the fine print on the budgets contains a guarantee that Disney will coverage any overages. And if they happen to come in under budget, those monies get rolled into the reserve fund. Sort of a win-win for members.

Like I said, I do think the outrage is understandable but it's also a bit misplaced.

Disney itself pays most of the transportation costs on-property. Part of the reason is because they own most of the hotel rooms and have guaranteed transportation to their guests. But they have also guaranteed transportation use to all ticket holders.

Should a SSR guests be billed separately for using the monorail or for taking a bus to AKL in order to dine at Boma? Of course not. And for the same reason, I don't think it's fair to argue that a non-SSR guest should be banned from using the SSR bus system regardless of the conditions.

SSR owners are paying for one specific line and can then share use of the entire system. And if one of the benefits of purchasing a Walt Disney World theme park ticket is use of transportation, then all ticket holders are similarly contributing to the whole.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but did you read the rest of his post or only the part that you quoted and highlighted? He said that he wasn't sure if the entire cost is billed to DVC members or not. I personally believe that Disney does chip in a bit for cash guests staying at the resort and the day visitors passes probably have something in there for transportation as well.

The annual hike in ticket prices aren't going to better pizza offerings, that's for certain....

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The one point that I want to continue to make is that Disney does not want people parking at DTD to ride the bus system to the parks or they would provide buses from there to the parks. So this is a Disney problem and they need to take action. The SS buses where not intended for use as a why to get free parking and should not be used for that.

If I am staying a one of the on-site hotels that does not use Disney Magical Express buses should I be able to ride the DME buses from the airport to WDW. Than take a short cab ride to my hotel. This would save me a lot of cost to my taxi ride. No that is not what they are for, they are for guest staying at WDW resorts that pay for that service in thier room rates.

Transport

I would imagine there will be a small amount of guests who do this--those who are frequent visitors to WDW and know the system. It must take ages to get from your car to a park!!

What always surprises me , is that if one wants to eat at a resort--eg we sometimes drive to Port Orleons Riverside--you are stopped at the gate and have to show photo ID , yet you can just get on a bus from a park or DTD and walk round the resort complex without showing any ID !!

dcibrando

Original Poster
Wow I really started a firestorm didn't I? lol

Let me also reiterate that part of the problem too is non-DVC or ssr guests getting on ssr busses to get to dtd from the parks....especially bad at the end of the day/park closing. Alot of DVC/SSR guests get left standing waiting while those just wanting to hop a bus to dtd use the ssr ones. I don'tike this either (of course some of them may be Disney resort guests and some may have just parked at dtd)

All Disney needs to do is provide a bus from the parks to dtd (but have no pickup at dtd to the parks)

lebeau

The one point that I want to continue to make is that Disney does not want people parking at DTD to ride the bus system to the parks or they would provide buses from there to the parks. So this is a Disney problem and they need to take action.

I'm curous how you "know" this. I once had a bus driver recommend doing exactly what you're talking about. I don't think he'd be telling guests to do this if there was some kind of official Disney policy against it.

If I am staying a one of the on-site hotels that does not use Disney Magical Express buses should I be able to ride the DME buses from the airport to WDW. Than take a short cab ride to my hotel. This would save me a lot of cost to my taxi ride. No that is not what they are for, they are for guest staying at WDW resorts that pay for that service in thier room rates.

The cost of DME is built into the room charges. And that is why Disney would keep you off of a DME bus if you didn't have a room reservation at a resort that uses DME. Seriously, you have to have all your ducks in a row to get on. They don't just let anyone on those.

I think you guys are making a lot of assumptions about
1. What is and isn't covered by your dues and
2. Disney policies (which clearly do not exclude guests from other resorts in practice)

tjkraz

All Disney needs to do is provide a bus from the parks to dtd (but have no pickup at dtd to the parks)

If Disney is helping to fund SSR bus service, this would be a zero sum game.

In deciding to run buses directly to DTD, Disney would then end its SSR bus subsidy with service being negatively impacted. Theoretically there would be fewer riders, but there would unquestionably be fewer buses. Or they could maintain current service levels and pass the additional costs on to SSR owners.

The real question is who is currently paying for what. May take a one-on-one meeting with accounting staffers to get an answer.

disneyrcks

I'm curous how you "know" this. I once had a bus driver recommend doing exactly what you're talking about. I don't think he'd be telling guests to do this if there was some kind of official Disney policy against it.

I wonder what their policy is with this. I have always heard (nothing official or based on actual fact) that they discourage people from parking at DTD to go to the parks because then they do not collect the parking fee. Not that it matters to us since we always fly down and stay on property but you brought up an interesting point.

WDWLOVER1957

I still like my example from earlier, just because you are staying at the Ritz in New York does not give you exclusive use of the New York Subway.

So you stay at the Ritz you pay for the subway costs in your hotel bill,

Not quite the same as owners or guests paying for transportation costs, All in all a pretty useless example, dont you think.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So you stay at the Ritz you pay for the subway costs in your hotel bill,

Not quite the same as owners or guests paying for transportation costs, All in all a pretty useless example, dont you think.

Not really....when you stay at the Ritz you are paying city taxes that subsidize the subway system. When you stay ay ANY WDW resort you are also paying Disney taxes that subside the transportation system. Disney may not call them taxes, but you can bet your sweet butt that the money is figured into what you pay.

WDWLOVER1957

Not really....when you stay at the Ritz you are paying city taxes that subsidize the subway system. When you stay ay ANY WDW resort you are also paying Disney taxes that subside the transportation system. Disney may not call them taxes, but you can bet your sweet butt that the money is figured into what you pay.

And you actually think anyone parking at DTD is staying onsite, strangest reply yet:shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And you actually think anyone parking at DTD is staying onsite, strangest reply yet:shrug:

Transportation fees are also levied on every ticket sold. So, in effect, if you are staying anywhere onsite you are being double taxed, but that is for the extra benefit of you are being picked up at your front door.

Buses?

I still wonder how many guests actually do this. I can`t imagine families with kids in strollers being bothered to be on and off buses etc when all the kids want to do is get in the park and go on a ride. I do know someone who does it though--how tight and what a waste of time!!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is what I would like to know from the poeple on this board that can find out. Is the cost of running buses to and from the resolts paid from the resorts budget or is it paid out of the ticket cost? I will wager at this time that the buses running to the resorts are paid for in two ways, out of the cost of renting rooms and DVC dues for those location with DVC rooms.

Anyone know for sure!!!

Pioneer Hall

Here is what I would like to know from the poeple on this board that can find out. Is the cost of running buses to and from the resolts paid from the resorts budget or is it paid out of the ticket cost? I will wager at this time that the buses running to the resorts are paid for in two ways, out of the cost of renting rooms and DVC dues for those location with DVC rooms.

Anyone know for sure!!!

One would venture to guess that it is covered through different proportions from all of those things. Clearly part of it is paid through DVC dues (at the DVC resorts) and the cash room costs. There is no question that part of the cost of a cash room is for transportation. And while I cannot guarantee it, if you were to see all the costs assosciated with an admission ticket there is probably something in there for transportation as well.

etpinge

In your example, why would you take a cab from where DME dropped you off to your hotel...

Wouldnt you just hop onto a Disney bus and ride from the DME drop off to a park or DTD to your resort? Or better yet, DME to OKW to jump on a boat to DTD that takes a boat to SSR?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom