Trip Report Some Trips Are Worth Melting For - A swelteringly magical 8 days in the happiest (hottest) place on Earth

Hi all! Just got back from 8 days in WDW and am so excited to write this trip report. This was my 25th time in WDW and I have NEVER experienced heat like this. But it was still an amazing trip and we had a blast. Looking forward to reliving it all while I create this post!

When: August 4-11
Where: Pop Century
Who: Me, my mom, and my two kids.

Thanks for reading!

IMG20230808173404_01.jpg

lindawdw

We also experienced guest getting into some of the parks earlier than the posted times, so we had to start getting up even earlier to get to the park earlier. :rolleyes: You really got so much done at Epcot! I did love the music of the replacement fireworks show at Epcot!

BraveGirl

Original Poster
We also experienced guest getting into some of the parks earlier than the posted times, so we had to start getting up even earlier to get to the park earlier. :rolleyes: You really got so much done at Epcot! I did love the music of the replacement fireworks show at Epcot!
What is the deal with that?! We were so confused!!

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 5! Magic Kingdom!

We only had one day at MK so we were prepared to make it a long one! Our initial “rope drop Space Mountain” plan was foiled however, when we got there only to learn it was down and they didn’t know when it would be opening. So we decided to make our way over to Fantasyland instead and rope drop Peter Pan. We love the queue for PP so we were happy walking through it for our 5 minute wait. Plus we didn't want to get too far away from Tron. Then a quick ride on Small World (before it gets crowded and the boats take forever to unload!), and the Little Mermaid (still a walk on at this point), and then back over to Tomorrowland for our Tron ILL.

We decided to ILL Tron because we had heard the VQs had long waits, and we only had one day at MK and were worried we would run out of time. After we saw that half of the Tron VQ was OUTSIDE IN NO SHADE we were very happy with that call. A tip – bring an umbrella if you are going to VQ Tron during the day because you’ll be standing outside for a while and there is nothing but a sporadic umbrella here and there in that line. Otherwise pay the money for the ILL or wait till the 1:00 VQ drop.

Tron is amazing! My mom had to ride in the regular seat because her knees would not allow her to get into the lightcycle (if you have bad knees, you may have a problem). She thought the ride was too intense even seated normally, so it was a one and done for her. But my girls and I loved it and decided we’d try to snag another spot in the VQ later in the day.

IMG20230808105206.jpg

After that we methodically made our way through the lands, going around the hub in order from Tomorrowland counterclockwise and making strategic stops for AC and cooling off (CoP which is actually our favorite anyway, Mickey’s Philarmagic, HoP, Casey’s splash area, Tiki Room, etc).

20230808_123349.jpg

Quick pic by the Purple wall because a wall in her bedroom is painted this way :D

We had one of those serendipitous Disney moments where the afternoon parade was literally JUST passing by the HoP as our show finished and we left the building, so we were in a perfect viewing spot without even trying or waiting at all. I'm not a big parade person so this is the only way I ever want to see them! No waiting!
IMG20230808151920.jpg

While on Pirates, it broke down and went completely dark for a bit, until the lights came fully on and then off and on and off and on…we were in the last room (literally the next boat to unload) but were not upset about the extra time in the AC at all! Although hearing Captain Jack's dialogue over and over and over again got a little annoying!
IMG20230808141204.jpg

At this point, we were realizing that MK has very limited spots to rest and cool down, and my mom was starting to struggle. So, we made reservations at Tony’s Town Square for dinner so that we would have some time to cool down and recharge, and also visited first aid so my mom could sit in the AC and rehydrate for a bit. Side note – between my daughter’s blisters on her feet and my mom overheating, we visited almost all first aid centers this trip. We were consistently impressed with how nice and helpful they all were. Great to know that they are ready to take care of you if needed!

We went on everything we wanted to do with a mixture of LL and standby. The only “big ticket” ride we skipped was Big Thunder Mountain, but we made the strategic choice not to go over to Frontierland just for that because of the heat and the fact that it’s not our favorite and we’ve done it enough in the past. Also, HM was closed for renovations for three days, and our day just happened to be one of them. Super disappointing for my kids, especially my oldest who had planned her whole MK outfit around that ride!
IMG20230808152831.jpg

At 1:00 right as we were stepping onto our Jungle Cruise boat I snagged the Tron VQ for the evening (literally had one foot in the boat as I got it and the CM loading us was super happy for me lol). Our Tron VQ was called before dinner, but when we got there they told us the ride was down and they weren’t sure when it would open, so we should go to dinner and just bring our receipt to prove we were there if the ride reopened and our boarding group was passed while we were eating.

So as we headed over to Tony’s for dinner my mom decided to stay down at that end of main street to watch the fireworks after, and be ready to get on the buses right away once they were done. My girls and I made our way back into Tomorrowland to ride Tron, which was up and running now. Since our morning plans to rope drop SM didn’t work, our plan B was to watch the fireworks from Tomorrowland and then get on Space Mountain at the last minute because my mom didn’t want to ride, so we figured she could go home and we’d finish up our night there. But the Tron VQ threw us for a loop. We got in line and waited for 50 minutes, which had us miss fireworks and get off of the ride 10 minutes before closing. I got front row for this one - Tron at night in the front row is pretty epic!
20230808_204512.jpg

We grabbed our stuff out of the Tron lockers (of course my bag got stuck and we needed a CM to help us get it out!) and then ran over to SM with 5 minutes to spare. There was only about a 20 minute wait for SM and we were done pretty quickly, which was great because the line had been very long all day.

We had an amazingly fun day but my older daughter was pretty bummed about not seeing the fireworks over the castle, which led to lots of googling on my part (“where to watch magic kingdom fireworks outside of the park”) and a new and fun experience for us the next day (stay tuned!).

After SM, we did a little shopping on Main Street while the crowds cleared, and then made our way home super exhausted and sweaty but happy after a fun day!

lindawdw

We have always found the First Aid CM's so helpful and it's definitely a place to recharge when feeling overheated. Sorry you didn't get to see the Fireworks but The Polynesian beach is a great alternative I hear! We love riding TRON at night!!!

BraveGirl

Original Poster
8 days until my next trip so I better hurry up and finish this trip report first!

Day 6 - Typhoon Lagoon!

I have not been to Typhoon Lagoon since the summer it opened, 1989. The only thing I remember about it is being TERRIFIED swimming through Shark Reef. So this was basically a new experience for me! For the past many years (ever since WDW stopped selling park hopper packages that never expired), our trips have been short and jam packed with just the main parks. But one of my goals for this 8 day trip was to do some of the OTHER things as well, particularly the water parks!

We had a great time at Typhoon Lagoon! It's small and easy to navigate, with everything basically being one big circle. We did every ride, with the exception of Humunga Kowabunga (NO THANK YOU LOL). Lines were not long (longest we waited was 30 minutes but most were under 15). And it was such a relief from the heat to just be able to jump in water at any point. So necessary after sweating our butts off for the previous 5 days. My kids were obsessed with the wave pool and kept going back in between rides. I love that you can access the wave pool from multiple spots, and that you can jump in the lazy river at any point, even without a tube. We got there at opening and were done by 2:00, which was enough time to do everything we wanted. We had dinner reservations which is why we left when we did, but we could have easily stayed and gone on things again, or just hung out on lounge chairs at the wave pool.

20230809_095008.jpg

IMG20230809112221.jpg

IMG_20230809_232251.jpg

We brought our clothes to TL and changed there. The plan was to go to DS and try again to ride the Aerophile. It was a crystal clear day, not a cloud in the sky. So we thought for SURE we'd get on it this time......but we were wrong. There was apparently some "storm activity" 30 miles away so they were shut down. At this point, I’m starting to think the Aerophile is not a real thing and it doesn’t actually work but we do see it in the air occasionally so we decide we’ll give it one more try on our last day. My mom got their number so we could call the next time, rather than trekking all the way over there in the heat for no reason. The person working there told us that they “almost always” run in the mornings, before storm activity starts, so we should plan to come when they open at 9. Ok great, will do. (SPOILER ALERT HE WAS WRONG).
So after our pointless foray to DS, we made our way over to Wilderness Lodge for our Storybook Dining reservation. This was something we had been wanting to do since my girls were younger and more into the princesses, but you are never too old for a character meal so we were excited that we were able to get reservations.

This was our favorite food of the trip. It’s PRICEY but to me, this price is more justified than most other locations. The character interactions are great, and the food is definitely good quality. The presentation was great, the taste was delicious, and the Huntsman’s Gift at the end (chocolate hearts presented in a smoke-filled box) was so cool. And the character interactions were excellent. The Evil Queen was so good. I was wearing my “Fairest of them All” tshirt and told her I was wearing it in her honor, because SHE was the fairest of them all. This made her happy and she went on and on about how I was her favorite subject. Our reservations were for 4:30, which was great timing because it was pretty empty. The characters spent a lot of time with us, and Dopey even came around twice. We probably won’t go back there only because it’s so expensive and my girls really are out of the Princess stage, but we did have fun and were happy we did it.

IMG20230809172124_01~2.jpg

20230809_170900.jpg

IMG20230809164446.jpg

20230809_173212.jpg

20230809_165328.jpg

After this, we made our way over to the Contemporary (bus to MK, monorail to Contemporary). Since we missed the MK fireworks the night before, I had googled where else to watch them and landed on the patio at the Contemporary. We got there super early so we were able to get seats on the patio. It was beautiful to watch the sunset with a view of MK.

This is now our favorite spot to watch the fireworks! They pump in the music from the show, so you get a great experience, and you can even see some of the castle projections. And even people who got there last minute could see – it never got super crowded and you can even stand on the outdoor stairwells for more space. My daughter who was sad we missed the fireworks the night before was super happy with this experience, and that made my momma heart happy.

20230809_210329.jpg

This was a “non-traditional” Disney day for us but we had a blast. It was one of my favorite days of the trip!

Only two more days to go!

Attachments

• 20230809_164228.jpg
    20230809_164228.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 79

joshsprincess921

Day 3! Hollywood Studios!

(I just typed this entire thing and my computer froze and I lost it all, so here I go again!)

So…HS. I am and will always be an old-school MGM girl. I miss the old rides and the way the park used to be about making movies, and not just IP. Also, we’ve seen Beauty and the Beast and Indiana Jones so. Many. Times. Over the years (I was an “extra” pulled from the audience in 1998!) so we automatically cross those off our to-do list in this park. Plus, Star Tours makes me barf and my kids are not big fans either so we don’t do that either. So it’s not typically a full day park for us, and I had hoped to take a midday break to cool off in the pool, but my 12 year old had other plans….

My 9 year old daredevil and I rope dropped ToT and RRC (her FAVORITE). We literally RAN there while my mom and 12 year old made their way over the MF. ToT and RRC had no pre-shows and no lines, so we were done with both in 20 minutes. My mom and 12 year old had ridden MF while waiting for us, and rode it again once we got there.

View attachment 738236

View attachment 738237

We then made our way over to Toy Story land, and rode TSM (my favorite! And when did they stop calling it Midway Mania!?!?) and Swirling Saucers. By then it was time for our LL for RotR. Our First Order guard had a good time making fun of my 9 year old for wearing shoes with holes (crocs), and we all adopted his knick-name of Stinky for her for the rest of the trip.

After this, the day becomes a blur of rides and shows. We did everything (some things multiple times) with the exception of Slinky Dog which went down mid-morning and never started working again. We were done by 2:00, at which point I wanted to go back to the pool for a break. My 12 year old, however, guilted us into staying, claiming we created a monster by having her do 13 hour rope-drop-to-fireworks days since she was born, and she refused to leave lol. We let her win since it did look like it was going to rain and we were concerned the skyliner would be down anyway. So, to fill time, in addition to re-riding some rides, we also met all the characters, with either short or non-existent waits.

View attachment 738255

View attachment 738256

View attachment 738258

View attachment 738259

Eventually, it was time for our dinner reservations at Woody’s Round Up BBQ. They were running behind schedule, so we had to wait an additional 20 minutes. Since we got there 15 minutes before, we were outside in the blazing sun and heat for over a half hour. Why these parks do not have more shade options available is mindboggling to me.

This was our first time at Woody’s and it was cute, but not someplace we will return. The theming was very cute – much like the queue for TSM. The food was good and plentiful. But it was expensive and I don’t think the “experience” makes it worth it. “Andy’s Coming” – where everyone freezes – only happened twice during the time we were there (and the second time was as we were leaving, so I’m assuming they intend for it to happen just once per visit), and the rest of the time it’s the characters coming over the speakers and talking about….random things lol. Like at one point Ham introduces the green army men….but there are no green army men so I’m not sure why they are being introduced? Another time you hear the characters worrying about a yard sale which turns out to be a lemonade stand….I don’t know. It was cute, but one and done for us (and if you look at my last trip report, you’ll see we take our toy story and “Andy’s Coming” very seriously!)

View attachment 738253

After dinner, we had more time to kill so we did some shopping and rode ToT again. And then it was time for Fantasmic. It’s been years since I’ve seen it and I absolutely loved the changes. Happy it is back.

View attachment 738264

After the show we made our way back to the skyliner and home to bed. A long day at the park, and rest was needed for the next day at Epcot!

I wish they had made Woody's a character dining experience with the Toy Story characters. I think that would have been so fun!

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 7! Our final park day

😩😩😩

For our final park day, we were doing the extra evening hours event at Epcot. Since this was scheduled to 1am, we needed to rest during the day! So once again we took advantage of the hotel activities, which included the Pop Scavenger hunt (we do this every year but it's still fun!), a swim in every pool, and Mickey tie dye shirts!

IMG20230810104357~2.jpg

20230810_132835.jpg

20230810_161811.jpg

20230810_114604.jpg

We even got to see Donald, Goofy, and Pluto who were visiting the hotel as we went inside to get our Scavenger hunts!

After a rest in the room, we headed off to Epcot. So....I will never not have fun at Epcot. BUT...this extra hours thing was not worth it IMO. I posted my feedback in another thread about the event, but here's what I wrote for anyone considering a paid after hours event at Epcot:

Pros:
  • I got to have a dance party with Chip and Dale. Literally just me and Chip and Dale holding hands dancing around in a circle. Probably because it was 98 degrees and we were the only ones crazy enough to be dancing.
  • We walked right on to Remy's
Cons:
  • Spaceship Earth was down the entire night. TT was down most of the night, leading to 50+ minute waits when it reopened. There's not a lot of rides in this park, so if a big-ticket one (or two) is down, it's going to create lines other places.
  • There were lines for all the rides except for those that are normally walk on. Sure, we walked right onto Grand Fiesta, Journey into Imagination, the Seas, and Living with the Land, but you can do that most days. In fact, we went on some of those during regular park hours (we got there at 7 but the party started at 10) and there were no waits. We waited about 20-30 minutes for Soaring and Frozen, and 45 minutes when we decided to do TT (almost made us miss GotG) during party time.
  • The app did not update for us, so we had no idea what was open or how long of a wait it was unless we found one of the boards throughout the park with wait times. Apparently it is supposed to update but it never did.
  • We RAN from TT to GotG and got on line at 12:58. They were only operating one side AND that side broke down, leading to us waiting in the pre-show rooms for a looooong time (we were the last group of the night and we were joking that they forgot about us and we'd be sleeping there). We ended up waiting 50 minutes, which is really long at 1 in the morning.
  • This is not a great park for an event where not everything is open. There's a LOT of walking to get to one ride. And rides are the only thing you CAN do because everything else is closed. China through Morocco is closed, so you can't stroll and look at the countries (would have been nice to take some pics with no crowds). For example, we did World Nature rides, then walked to Norway and Mexico, then hauled it over to France, then World Discovery rides - would have loved to go back on Remy because it had no wait but it was too darn far away
  • Mickey bars are nice but there's only so many you can eat in 3 hours.
  • Skyliners are closed at 10pm. So if you are on a Skyliner hotel, you'll need to take a bus.
It's really expensive for what it is. If it was $20 like the old E Ride Nights they used to do at MK (ha!) I'd do it in a heartbeat. But it was not worth the price IMO.

But like i said....we still had fun! We just wouldn't do it again. Thankfully, my mom caved this day and rented a scooter. She is 75 with bad knees and was struggling to keep up, but she was being stubborn and refused to get one all trip. With all the walking we knew was ahead of us for this night, we convinced her it was necessary. As soon as she got it, she left us in the dust and now says she will never go to the parks without one again!

20230810_185650.jpg

We went on everything except for Spaceship Earth which never started working (thankfully we had done it earlier that week!). My mom and older daughter went home at 1am while my youngest and I waited for GoTG. As I said above, it was a LONG wait, and we were the second to last car that went out. Kind of creepy being stuck in a half filled pre-show room for a long time with no cast members in sight, tbh. Here's what an empty GotG queue looks like at almost 2am:
20230811_014643.jpg

We took this picture at 1:59 and as soon as we took it, the lights on SE went out for the night. So if anyone is wondering, they shut the lights at 2am lol.
20230811_020028.jpg

I could not believe my 10 year old made it the whole day. She gets cranky and miserable when she is tired but she wanted to keep going this night! I was impressed. We were exhausted by the end of it but thankfully did not have an early morning planned for our final day.

BraveGirl

Original Poster
Day 8! Going home 😩

Our final day at WDW but we had a late flight so we made the best of it.

Our Aerophile saga concludes here as well lol. So, after sleeping in a bit (not too long, still had things to do!), we made our way over to DS for some shopping and a final attempt to ride the Aerophile. As you might remember, days before the operator told us to call first, and to come first thing in the morning because they are "almost always open" then. This would be our third and final attempt to ride so we were hoping third time was a charm. We took the bus over to DS and called when we got there, rather than walking in the opposite direction of World of Disney for no reason. Good thing we called. We were told there was "storm activity" 30 miles away and they were not opening. We were honestly not even surprised at this point but of course a little disappointed.

About an hour later, while we were shopping, my mom notices the Aerophile in the air. So she calls. This was the conversation:

Mom: Hi, I'm calling to see if you are open.
Them: No, we are closed.
Mom: But I am looking at the balloon right now and it's in the air.
Them: I am sorry but we are closed.
Mom: But the balloon is in the air *right now*, I'm looking right at it.
Them: Yes but it's coming down and then we are closed.
Mom: Why are you closing now?
Them: It's getting too hot out.

Sooooooo.......the moral of this story is, if you want to ride the Aerophile, you probably won't be able to lol. We are done with trying and honestly I don't even want to anymore!

We made our way back to the hotel, did some more swimming, played in the arcade, ate some tie dye cheesecake and then headed to the airport for our trip home.

20230811_163203.jpg

20230811_141024.jpg

This was an epic 8 days, making so many great memories with my mom and my girls. While on the trip, my girls decided that they would rather give up their Christmas and Birthday presents from me in exchange for coming back for the Halloween party, so we leave TOMORROW for a short and busy 3 night trip. If you will be at the MNSSHP on Friday 9/22, look for us! We will be Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather! And we will be leaving some pixie dust as we go, inspired by our fun pixie dust find on this trip.

Thanks for following along! I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed reliving it all!

rshell68

I was going to "love" your post, but I'm frustrated for you and the whole Aerophile saga. Enjoy the Halloween party!!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The Aerophile is very frustrating to try to ride. I was gifted a free ride for two people from a member here and my husband went to Disney Springs 6 times during our trip and only on the last visit was it open. It was a neat experience but not worth the hassle.

There is also a similar balloon in Disneyland Paris and I only saw it operating a couple times too.

cassidy

I loved reading your trip report!!!! I am hoping you will write about your quick Halloween trip as well. I am sure everyone would love to read about. Have fun!!

BraveGirl

Original Poster
The Aerophile is very frustrating to try to ride. I was gifted a free ride for two people from a member here and my husband went to Disney Springs 6 times during our trip and only on the last visit was it open. It was a neat experience but not worth the hassle.

There is also a similar balloon in Disneyland Paris and I only saw it operating a couple times too.

we were there this weekend and it was flying the entire day we were in DS. The line was huge so we didn't even try - we figured it would shut down as soon as we got in line anyway 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom