Some FastPass+ attractions eliminating second touch point

jklakeview

I'm thinking they will be selective on which attractions they do this for. Think it would work in these
1. Peter Pan (Go completely in a different direction)
2. Buzz (Same reason)
3. Pirates (entirely seperate cue)
4. Barnstormer
5. Soarin
6. Test Track
7. Spaceship Earth
8. Magic Carpets
9. Haunted Mansion
Things like this

It won't work in ones with very large cuses running side by side like Splash Mountain (Although the second one never worked there which was great for keeping your child swap pass until they changed the procedure) or Space where its just too easy to switch over

TyrantBoss

Just saw that in a few locations on my most recent trip to WDW.

I noticed it at Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Kilaminjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Haunted Mansion and Mickey Meet and Greet at town hall.

I wore the one of the timing lanyards in the Mickey Meet and Greet.
And I saw some of the Disney suits watching as we went through the Kilaminjaro fast pass. There were 6 manager types watching to see how long it took to get through fast pass and they were counting what side was used the most.

Rob562

If they want to speed up the process, they could implement btge process they sometimes use at the Safari where they have only one person in the group tap the first post (to ensure they have a valid FP+) and then everyone taps the second post (which actually redeems the FP+). The reasoning is that chances are good tgat everyone in the group is booked for the same FP. This keeps the line outside the ride short.

-Rob

JohnD

This may officially be happening but it's been happening unofficially for a while now. ST is just one example that comes to mind.

Emily Moschel

A week ago today when we were on Space Mountain, we had fast passes a group of "teenage" boys thought they could be slick and jump into the fast pass line, but were greatly disappointed when they say the 2nd touch point. My boyfriend(this was his first trip to Disney) noticed and was very impressed and happy Disney had the two check points to prevent this issue.

In my opinion, this will cause issues.

Monorail_Red_77

I have never tried this before, as we usually get to our fastpass ride during our time window, usually never before the time starts. But, I noticed a grace period of sorts for our fastpass time window. We were at Test Track and the line started to build quite a bit before the first touch point. So I tried to estimate my time in line so that when we got to the first touch point it would be at the start of our time window. Which was 6:55 to 7:55. We arrived at the first touch point at 6:50. So I was thinking, oh great! we are going to have to stand over here to the side and look like idiots because we tried to enter before our chosen time. Well, much to my surprise we were given the green light automatically, just as if we were within our time window. so, my question is. Is there some sort of grace time built into the time window that allows you to enter about 5 minutes before your fastpass time starts? Kinda like how a wait time says 20 minutes but is really a bit overestimated to make it feel like the like is moving quicker?

JohnD

I have never tried this before, as we usually get to our fastpass ride during our time window, usually never before the time starts. But, I noticed a grace period of sorts for our fastpass time window. We were at Test Track and the line started to build quite a bit before the first touch point. So I tried to estimate my time in line so that when we got to the first touch point it would be at the start of our time window. Which was 6:55 to 7:55. We arrived at the first touch point at 6:50. So I was thinking, oh great! we are going to have to stand over here to the side and look like idiots because we tried to enter before our chosen time. Well, much to my surprise we were given the green light automatically, just as if we were within our time window. so, my question is. Is there some sort of grace time built into the time window that allows you to enter about 5 minutes before your fastpass time starts? Kinda like how a wait time says 20 minutes but is really a bit overestimated to make it feel like the like is moving quicker?

Yes. You can enter 5 minutes before your start time and have 15 minutes after the official ending time to use your FP+.

JohnD

Good to know. I have never needed to use before, just noticed by accident. o_O ;)

I once begged when I arrived 20 minutes after the ending time for SSE. I had just finished the UnDISCOVERed Future World tour. Well, I thought it started and ended at Guest Relations across from SSE. It doesn't. It ends in the China Pavilion. I booked it (ran) over as fast as I could, showed them I just did the tour and begged to go on. They let me.

kdouglas97

We noticed this last week when we were there. The merge points at the rides where the second touch point was closed were still manned, so I don't get the reason for turning them off. We did see at least one line jumper on Spaceship Earth, so I am sure it was going on all over the park. It's going to be impossible to police in queues that wind in an out of each other.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I don't see a major impending catastrophe with line jumping, honestly.

I originally thought it might be to cut having a CM stand there, but in most of those situations, there is still a CM who stops the flow of the regular line to let in the FP line. I have already seen them also function as the "technical support" for those who still can't figure out how to make the Mickeys kiss. So, what else are we cutting here? The power to the machines? We're really pinching pennies now.

Rider

As far as I know it has always been this way at Splash and Safaris. Those are two where the lines are side by side and one could jump between them.

They may have data from those two that shows line jumping isn't a big enough impact on attractions where this is possible.

Anecdotally I have seen 2nd touch point backups on Space because of the odd angle you can't have two people tapping at one time.

This is called Combo mode. The 1st point checks and redeems FPs. The 2nd point will still have a cast member to merge the 2 lines at the correct ratio. This will however, especially when people start to realize what's going on, will result in many more line jumpers.

Goofnut1980

Riddle me this, If they just did away with FP+ and only had a standby line.. wouldn't the lines actually move faster without having to "merge" people into a line. It would just be a line that continually moves.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Riddle me this, If they just did away with FP+ and only had a standby line.. wouldn't the lines actually move faster without having to "merge" people into a line. It would just be a line that continually moves.
The line might move slightly faster, but it would still get very long. FP+ allows people to avoid long lines and still enjoy the rides. Some people can't stay in long lines [myself being one].

note2001

Just saw that in a few locations on my most recent trip to WDW.

I noticed it at Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Kilaminjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Haunted Mansion and Mickey Meet and Greet at town hall.

I wore the one of the timing lanyards in the Mickey Meet and Greet.
And I saw some of the Disney suits watching as we went through the Kilaminjaro fast pass. There were 6 manager types watching to see how long it took to get through fast pass and they were counting what side was used the most.

Six people counting heads and noting times on a tablet? If this is yet another cost cutting maneuver, instead of eliminating low-cost, no-benefit cast members, I think you just identified where they could start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom