Solo Trip

MissViv

Original Poster
All of my plans have gone awry and I am now looking at a solo trip with maybe a niece coming in from Tampa for the weekend.

Never even thought of going to Disney by myself but DH does not want to go again. I am looking at August BEFORE Star Wars opens for a long weekend (just 3 nights).

Want to stay at a Deluxe to be close to things. Which hotel would you recommend, I will list least expensive to most expensive:

Yacht Club Garden or Woods View
Wilderness Lodge Courtyard View
Beach Club Garden or Woods View
Grand Floridian Garden or Woods View
Contemporary Tower Lake View

I would automatically pick the Poly but not available. Being on the monorail is an extra bonus. Never stayed at GF but looks really BIG when you are in the outer buildings. I like Contemporary. Stayed at WL but not one of my favorites. Never even thought staying at Beach Club or Yacht Club.

I know it is going to be hot so I would be spending quite a bit of time at the hotel.

Looking to maybe get a good bounce back offer to take my 2 grandsons at a later date.

Also, would consider going in November but rooms are not discounted and may not be so more expensive. Would cost almost $1,000 more but would be a lot cooler but possibly more crowded.

Suggestions?????

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
So, for me, it'd be YC/BC in August. BC has a slight advantage as it's a bit closer to the IG entrance to Epcot. YC has a slight edge if you're thinking about DHS. Both have good bus service to MK and AK and are close to good eats, night-time entertainment, and a great pool they share.

In November, I'd take WL, but that's because the cooler weather and the architecture evokes Big Parks of the Pacific Northwest. There's a boat to MK, and good bus service to other parks. Good food in the hotel, or a quick boat ride to the CR for their food options. And I like the feel of the smaller resort (compared to the moderates like CBR and CSR).

Last edited:

Tuvalu

There is no woods view at the Grand Floridian. 🤔 The views are garden, lagoon and theme park.

The GF is not a big resort. It is surprisingly compact. You can be at the monorail from any outer building in less than 5 minutes. Same for buses, boat, restaurant and pools.

The GF has been discounted lately and one may pop up for August (before SW:GE opens of course.)

The biggest drawback to GF is having to stand on the monorail during busy times (mornings) because it may arrive full with guests who boarded at Contemporary, TTC and Poly. That said, the ride to MK is VERY short and most guests disembark there, so if you are traveling to the TTC to switch to the Epcot line you will have a seat. Also, I have found that most guests will offer their seat to a more “mature” person (of which I am one.)

The courtyard pool at the GF is wonderful....padded chairs, lots of umbrellas, and less chaotic than the beach pool (where most families with kids are.)

You can watch the MK fireworks from the marina crowd-free.

B1701454-2C09-4656-80FF-1630ACA1AAE4.jpeg

962639D1-5B92-42EF-BFF4-6F7D51CCB8BD.jpeg

95EC25CE-9E13-4D4F-83BC-673B158D3D85.jpeg

1C774024-0689-4C83-B404-6D307E51BB43.jpeg

awoogala

Which park will you spend the most time at? I think that matters the most. I love contemporary with my family, but when I go alone, I spend more time at EPCOT. If EPCOT, I'd rather stay close to the IG. (I am going in July alone, actually-staying at Dolphin). Also, I personally dont like the style of g or yc, so I'd pick boardwalk or dolphin- but that is just taste.

DisneyJill

i think you'll find the yacht club more spread out than the grand, particularly if you get a room closer to the dolphin end. the hallways can seem endless after a day in the parks. that said, yacht is still one of my favorites because i love being able to walk into epcot. but if your worry is the grand being too large, i think you may find the walk to certain rooms at yacht will be longer.

zurgandfriend

First, I do solo trips when I travel to Orlando for work. It is rather nice to be by myself. I see and do what I want at my own pace, and maybe enjoy a few adult beverages without my DW to comment, but I digress.
Second, we have stayed at every resort listed except the Beach Club. Each has its own charm and we loved each one. My favorite is the Contemporary, it is on the monorail and walking distance to the Magic Kingdom. My DW loves the grandeur of the Grand Floridian the shops, the dining options and monorail. Our DS likes the Wilderness Lodge, the lobby is amazing, and Whispering Canyon was the first WDW restaurant he ate at and yes he asked for ketchup.
We stayed at the Yacht Club last fall, it was comfortable, close to the World Showcase and the Crescent Lake restaurants and the pool is the best in WDW. All of that said It is up to you, what do you want from a resort? Monorail access, dining a great pool?
Whatever you decide will be great, enjoy.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Most of my trips to WDW are solo trips. If funds aren't an issue, I'd do GF in one of the outer buildings - my preference is Sago Cay. While a walk to the boat dock, very close to Main Building. I'd request a king dormer room, if available.

You've got both monorail and boat access to MK, 2 excellent signature TS restaurants, GF Cafe is also very good (love the lobster eggs benedict), a nice spa, etc.

Treat yourself.

MissViv

Original Poster
What about Coronado Springs new Tower Rooms? I could stay there $698 less than Yacht Club. I don't know anything about CS except it is BIG but I would imagine the transportation buses would be close to the main tower, which will be the new entrance.

MissViv

Original Poster
Would love to stay at Grand Floridian but it comes in the highest of all at $503. more than Yacht Club.

Minthorne

Swan and Dolphin? Great beds, great location and usually cheaper price. No DME but a mears shuttle is only like $35 rt

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom