Soaring....

dthieme

Ginger

Excellent advise from all. Although I would have to agree that medication only makes one drowsy :snore: for way longer that the 3 minute ride. Ginger pills can be purchased at most nutrition/vitamin stores. However, they are a bit large for a small child to swallow. I’d suggest ginger snaps:sohappy:or some other snack food that contains a lot of ginger.

CelticRose

Original Poster
Many Thanks to everyone who replied.:wave: You all have given me great ideas for the DD-in-law. I want her to be able to experience all the magic the world has to offer. This will be her very first trip and she has no idea what it is like, I know she will be hooked like the rest of us. I know she has been to 6 Flags:hurl: but that is a carnival compared to the world and all the magic.

So I will stock up with ginger pills and ginger snaps!!!! I especially like the ginger snap idea, they are my favorite cookies.

Thank you all again, I appreciate all your responses.

Taryn will you still be at Epcot in May 2007?

224 Days and we will be there!!!

doctorcfjh

I don't know whether the expression 'taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut' translates over there but essentially the vast majority of anti-sickness medications act by causing blanket inhibition of many mid brain functions. Hence the drowsiness. You rarely need them without prolonged travel or middle ear disease.

Motion sickness occurs in the majority of instances due to the slight disparity between what is seen and what is sensed by the middle ear. If someone where sitting in a closed room on a ship they would become more sea sick than if a fake horizon exactly matching the angle of the real hoizon was projected onto the walls.

Having said all that it generally takes about 5 minutes for this type of motion sickness to begin. (some people expect to feel sick and therefore their perception of nausea begins sooner).

The other cause of motion sickness is due to functional middle ear problems - ie actual disease / abnormality of the middle ear position sensing equipment. In this case rides which move fast disturb the middle ear and people become nauseous.

Soarin really does not fill either of these categories. Seats tip by a maximum of 5 degrees during the presentation and the duration of the film is not really long enough to induce motion sickness per se. It can cause some disorientation... but that will pass without resort to medication.

Hope this helps

CelticRose

Original Poster
I
(some people expect to feel sick and therefore their perception of nausea begins sooner).

doctorcfjh,
You wise and wonderful sage:sohappy:

Aha that is her problem, she perceives that she will be sick long before she even gets on the ride. So I will tell her to think the opposite before she gets on Soarin........

dthieme

Psychological

doctorcfjh,
You wise and wonderful sage:sohappy:

Aha that is her problem, she perceives that she will be sick long before she even gets on the ride. So I will tell her to think the opposite before she gets on Soarin........
I guess a Doctor would get scientifically accurate about the subject and pontificate about the psychological nature of motion sickness. While this is accurate information regarding the medical condition, it lacks the understanding of a Childs thought pattern. When you tell a child not to think about getting sick and to erase all thoughts of nausea from their brain, it will only drive them to think more about being sick and they will know you think this ride may make them sick. So while changing your thoughts may work for a teenager or an adult it will have the opposite effect on a child. The ginger snap can have a positive impact if you tell the child the cookie will help keep them from getting sick. Let them eat the cookie for breakfast or on your ride to the park as well as at various snack breaks in the park, but do not associate the time of consumption with the ride itself or you will loose the placebo effect. Unless of course the child initiates the fear of getting sick then you can give them a cookie and let them know it will help, renforcing the magical properties of the cookie.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

By the way I get sick on train rides, and the ginger snaps work great for me. If it’s all in my head then so be it, because it works. Maybe now that the good doctor has told me the truth it won’t work any more:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom