soarin wait line

iheartdisney91

Original Poster
hello, yes i know soarin always has a long wait but i was just wondering to those who have been to epcot recently is it still like 90 min or more or did the wait times go down? just wondering

Figment82

When I was there over the weekend it was pulling 120 minutes easily (though it was a holiday). But the parks are still super crowded, so yes, the wait has been very high.

Figment82

No idea, I never ride it unless I can walk right on (yes, I'm spoiled!).

But I know they have the plan in place to wind the queue through the downstairs, up the stairs, around the 2nd floor, and down the entrance ramp. Wouldn't you love to wait in that?

Glasgow

Is it just me or is the soarin queue supremely plain? I don't remember anything distinctive about it, just that it reminded of me waiting in line at the airport, which to me, is not a desirable experience. Am I way off here?

EpcotServo

Here's what you need to do iheartdisney91, get to Epcot in the morning at opening time, and when you get to Soarin', grab a Fastpass, then go into the Standby line. That way you'll walk right on, and have a Fastpass to go on again later in the day. (You'll want to ride this one again, trust me!) By the time you get out of the Land, you should be able to ride Mission: Space and Test Track with little or no wait. Enjoy your flight!
:wave:

Yeah my Fiancee and I just got back from a 1 day MK and Epcot trip and we hit soarin with a FP grab and then a jump into the standby and then came out of the first ride on soarin and hit living with the land (great update on this ride I might add) and then by the end of that it was time for our FP for soarin again. Next we hit Nemo and then Testtrack and got them all done in an hour and 45 mins. Course it was a Wednesday.

RonAnnArbor

Not only are the lines long, the parks are more crowded than they have been in 6 or 7 years. Unless you are there on an off-peak mid-week morning, the line regulary reaches 90 - 120 minutes - and at times up to 4 hours. Because of the way the queau is designed, it is deceptive as to how long the wait is -- as people join the line at the back, they force the people in front up further -- so that main retaining area might have 90 minutes work of people in it, or it might have 160 minutes worth of people in it -- One thing I have noticed is that after 10:00 am, the wait on the standby line is a good 20-30 minutes UNDER estimate...if it says 40 minutes, your wait will be at least one hour. I point this out to them every time I am there, and they really don't care.

Rob562

One thing I have noticed is that after 10:00 am, the wait on the standby line is a good 20-30 minutes UNDER estimate...if it says 40 minutes, your wait will be at least one hour. I point this out to them every time I am there, and they really don't care.

I believe that is due in-part to the FLIK card system. If you don't know of it, every 5-10 minutes, they hand out a lanyard with a white card with a computer chip in it to a Guest entering the queue. Before giving it out, the CM swipes it past a reader on the wall. When the Guest gets to the front of the line, they hand it to the CM stationed there, who swipes it past another reader. The system then figures out how much time has passed between swipes and uses that time to calculate how long of a wait time to display.

This system works well if the wait times fluctuate gradually over the course of the day. But in an early-morning influx of Guests, the first few cards will make it through the queue rather quickly. But then when a TON of Guests flood the attraction (as happens with a popular new attraction like Soarin'), the cards after those first few will take longer and longer to get through the line. So by the time the first long-wait FLIK card reaches the front, the standby sign has been displaying 10-15 minutes for a while, because all cards up to that point HAVE been through in 10-15 minutes, and other cards are still waiting in line.

Make any sense?

About the only way around this system would be to either a) allow for manual change by a manager for situations like this, or b) have the CM issuing FLIK cards "pad" the time of the first few cards handed out in the morning by holding onto each card for 5-10 minutes before handing it out to a Guest, thereby artificially inflating the amount of time the computer thinks the card spent in line.

Also, Guests who are handed the cards and don't follow the requests of the CM can mess things up by not turning the card in at the right point (i.e. getting off the ride and THEN asking a CM "Who do I give this to?"), or not even turning the card back in at all... (I've heard stories of CMs confiscating FLIK cards from Guests out in the park)

-Rob

frankster

I just returned home from Disney today :)(), and both days I went to Epcot, the shortest wait time for me was 90 minutes, and the longest was 160 minutes. My group and I ended up not doing it, after waiting on line for about an hour. We just left the line and didn't go back to it. We almost missed our Fastpass time for Test Track!

lets not forget the guests who get the flik cards, and think they've recieved some kind of gift...

It wasnt a gift from that Hot Blonde CM :lookaroun ?

LOL J/K anyways It was kind of funny to see my Fiancee not know how the system works and have a CM hand her a card and her ask me a billion times how long she had to hold onto this "stupid thing" for when we were inline at soar'in for all of 10 mins:sohappy:.

Figment82

Soarin' doesn't use the flik cards for their posted waits - they change the time based on how many people they see in line. The info gathered from the flik cards is used for inside information.

And the cards are red... :)

Jorden

Most of the cards are red, but I have seen a few completely white one (no text). I was told they were made more bland so people would be less inclined to take them.

The very first time I road Soarin' we waited about an hour at a time when crowds were pretty light (though it was late in the morning). It's such a great attraction though, it was worth every minute. We grabbed FP's later in the day so we could do it after dinner. If I didn't have a 5 year old and 10 other people in my party I probably would have spent my whole day riding it.

I can't wait to go again!!

iheartdisney91

Original Poster
The very first time I road Soarin' we waited about an hour at a time when crowds were pretty light (though it was late in the morning). It's such a great attraction though, it was worth every minute. We grabbed FP's later in the day so we could do it after dinner. If I didn't have a 5 year old and 10 other people in my party I probably would have spent my whole day riding it.

I can't wait to go again!!

me 2 but i dont have kids lol, but i would ride it alot but i wouldnt wanna miss out on epcot though. ahhh i love the magical world lol:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom