Soarin Over the World, percentage of CGI?

LittleBuford

The old one, I felt for the most part like I was experiencing a hang glider ride over California, this new one, I felt like I was watching a very good 4d movie. One took me out of my moment at times and felt like I was in another place, this one, was far more passive, I felt like I was watching a movie the whole time.

I’m in the minority here in that I much prefer the new film, perhaps because I find the idea of hang-gliding over California far less exciting to begin with than seeing the world. Moreover, I like that the new film tweaks reality—absolute lifelikeness isn’t what I go to Disney for.

lazyboy97o

Having seen the Taj Mahal in person, I find the Soarin’ version really convincing—I actually thought it was the real thing before reading otherwise. Perhaps people think it looks too perfect in CGI, but that’s also how it looks in real life.

The only CGI fail for me are the rowers in the Fiji scene.
The crowds are the big giveaway. Everyone is moving about with the stilted linearity of pre-programmed characters that come with rendering software, not the sort of chaotic movement one sees with an actual crowd.

LittleBuford

The crowds are the big giveaway. Everyone is moving about with the stilted linearity of pre-programmed characters that come with rendering software, not the sort of chaotic movement one sees with an actual crowd.

True, but I for one am happy to experience a crowd-free version. I think of Soarin’ much as I do World Showcase—an idealised distillation of reality rather than an attempt at fully capturing reality. And that to me is supremely Disney.

LittleBuford

It’s not. There are obviously fake people walking around.

I realised that I misunderstood your earlier post and deleted my previous reply in order to rewrite it. I thought that, as well as criticising the way the CGI people move, you were referring to the unrealistic absence of crowds from the Soarin' Taj Mahal, which is far less busy than the real thing. On the issue of movement, I can't say I've noticed anything egregious in the Taj scene, though the Fiji rowers, as I mentioned above, strike me as absolutely fake.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, if that is how it works I do not want to be involved. Egad! In order to be a fan of something one has to overlook its purpose and analyze it to death? One has to dislike the style while being a fan?

The average guest will probably see no problem with Soarin, but as fans we tend to look at things deeper that why we take the time to participate in these forums. If we were going to accept everything Disney does as perfect, then there would be no point in being here.

As far as the first paragraph, It is very possible that I could say the same thing about you. You tend to think that because something is important to you it should be important to everyone. In order to justify it one must find a way to attack the person that disagrees with you. Instead of explaining why it is important to look for the faults all you can say is "that's what fans do". I was very general with my statement of what I believe, I didn't direct it to anyone personally and went out of my way to tell you why it wasn't important to me.

But your very first statement in this thread was not why you disagreed, it was questioning why anyone else cared? If you didn't care about the CGI, why did you even bother to post in a thread that is clearly about the CGI? There are a lot of things that get discussed on here that I don't care about, but I am not going to call people out for discussing them.

I'm sorry, but why the hell is everyone so concerned about CGI's.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
It can be fixed with a correct camera lens, and it was fixed on other simulators YEARS ago.

It could probably be fixed with software too and why didn't the original Soarin have the same issues? Just the difference in what's on-screen?

Also, the Tokyo Disneyland version I believe doesn't have the Eiffel Tower, but a Tokyo city flythrough where you have Tokyo Tower in the distance which is very similar to the Eiffel tower.

LittleBuford

why didn't the original Soarin have the same issues?

It did:

maxresdefault.jpg

It was just less obvious because most of the scenes didn't involve architecture.

Littleclown

See, what I mean about peoples judgement.? I'm not angry at all. I have enjoyed both versions probably because I don't clutter my thoughts with useless junk. Why would it be that just because I disagree with some opinions that I am angry. I get angry about things that negatively affect my life like politics and illness. Theme parks, I enjoy and that is all the emotion I feel about it. I will, however, continue to express my opinions.
I think you are right on. For 17 years in a row I enjoyed going to the world. It constantly amazed me watching how attitudes changed. For my only comment to the complainers is GO SOME WHERE ELSE. You are in the happiest place on earth and you complain. Just enjoy Disney for what it is, a magical expression of happiness.

texasex95

If you haven't seen the film, "HUMAN," check out the flyover scenes in it. Beautiful scenes of the planet without CGI mixed in with human beings across the globe sharing their feelings/thoughts on life, love, happiness and more human emotions.

I think it's pretty well known that the whole Taj Mahal scene is CGI and possibly others are as well. Anyone know more about which parts are CGI?

I know a lot of the animals like the elephants, killer whale, etc. either had to be CGI or added separately. The hot air balloons probably as well.
The new version is straight up garbage. Smells, movement. The whole thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom