Soarin Over the World, percentage of CGI?

Oddysey

Off the top of my head

World CGI:
Polar Bears
Whales
Africa
Elephants
Taj Majal
Any and all Transitions
Great Wall of China is edited from filmed footage to look cleaner and remove people
Paris
Fireworks

Original film CGI:
Golf Ball
Hang Glider in Yosemite
Jets in dessert
Tinkerbell
Fireworks

I was just about to make the same list off of the top of my head (minus Jets in dessert) but you already have. Maybe there are other CGI enhancements in the original that another poster can point to, but if there are others, they were never obvious to me.

To other posters who do not understand why some are bothered by the CGI in the new version, for me it is because it breaks the immersion of flying over legitimately beautiful landscapes that are already naturally produced. The Taj scene is especially jarring.

Lastly, the CGI transitions are in my opinion rather harsh and likewise jarring. The original had an extremely relaxing and enjoyable vibe. I personally don’t find a huge amount of sand being thrown on me or having random things constantly appearing as though they are inches from hitting me relaxing or enjoyable.

In all, I think the new version is a good attraction, but for me it is a step down from the old version.

HongKongFu

supposed to be what the imagineers imagined and wanted for the ride.

Why yes, of course......that is true with ALL attractions, more or less.

the simple fact is the imagineers had a vision for what they WANTED in Soarin' ... so they did what it took to make their vision come true.

Yes, and I question their vision. They added fake elements in an attempt to unnecessarily impress/dazzle and fool the guest.
The irony, I find, is that the embellishments debased the attraction, not enhanced it.

MagicRat

CGI stinks and so does the ride. It fails to bring in reality like a painted wooden cutout prop from the EPCOT rides of the 80’s. Let’s bring that form of engineering back,

thomas998

The funny thing is I don't think I have ever heard any guest complaining after riding the ride about the CGI. The only comments I have ever heard were how did they manage to get that shot... So while there appear to be a few people that want to pull apart each scene and moan about how CGI has ruined the ride. I get the impression that most people riding it seem to enjoy it. So maybe, this is just a case where the few disappointed folks should just move on and find something in the parks that they do enjoy, because deep down I think you know it isn't going to go back to what it used to be no matter how much you moan and groan.

Goofyernmost

It's been well established that the Taj Scene was done with CGI because they were not permitted to do a flyover of it.

The discussion is happening, because this is a Disney fan site, so it makes sense that people will analyze every detail of what Disney does. If you just want to hear positive things about Disney, there may be message boards on other sites that you would like better then this one.
No I don't! I have contributed my far share of negatives over the years about how Disney has done things. Most recently how they have priced me out now. I can never enjoy the place as often as I once did because I have to ask for Disney Gift cards on Father's Day, Birthdays and Christmas and save them up so I can even afford the entry ticket much less all the other inflated costs.

However, when those types of things, like a useless and completely unimportant discussion like CGI, that are a huge part of any entertainment venue that exists now to enhance film production, then I call bullcrap on it. The entire point of the show is lost to endless hallow concerns over how they build their entertainment process. We are sitting in a gigantic pit of fantasy entertainment as soon as we enter the gates of WDW and now, for some unexplainable reason we should be concerned about CGI's. Really? How is anyone able to enjoy what they claim to be fans of and at the same time focus on ridiculous point's like that. It's like complaining that the castle is plastic instead of real granite. Does it really freaking matter? We are in a fantasy kingdom surrounded by things that don't exist in reality, but, yeah, lets worry about the Taj Mahal.

And it doesn't make sense to discuss every detail, because Disneyland and it's offspring are not there to be a source of analyzing every detail. It exists for adults and children to share the joys of childhood and that is what it has always been for me. It has been my escape from adult problems and details. Real life has more then it's share of that crap and if we insist on not finding the joy in the experience and only find the perceived flaws then the entire reason for going is overridden. What I am saying is that there are a number of things happening in TWDC that are worthy of criticism, CGI's are not one of them.

Captain Barbossa

Both the Taj Mahal and the Eiffel Tower are in no fly zones. The no fly zone that the Taj Mahal is in bans everything. (Airplanes, helicopters, and drones) The no fly zone that the Eiffel Tower is in just bans drones. (It's actually the entire city of Paris) Anyways, that explains why they're CGI because Disney would've used drones for those 2 shots.

BoarderPhreak

Disney surely could have made arrangements with the authorities in France. Probably in India as well, if less likely.

What's interesting is they call it Soarin' Around the World but it's a bit of a missed opportunity IMO as they didn't feature Mexico, Norway, Japan, Italy or Canada from the World Showcase. Not that that was their intent; just sayin'.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The funny thing is I don't think I have ever heard any guest complaining after riding the ride about the CGI. The only comments I have ever heard were how did they manage to get that shot... So while there appear to be a few people that want to pull apart each scene and moan about how CGI has ruined the ride. I get the impression that most people riding it seem to enjoy it. So maybe, this is just a case where the few disappointed folks should just move on and find something in the parks that they do enjoy, because deep down I think you know it isn't going to go back to what it used to be no matter how much you moan and groan.

Disney used to hold it self to a higher standard.

Weather_Lady

I have no problem with the use of CGI - but the CGI in Soarin' Around the World is so obvious and ham-fisted that it's actually distracting. The fact that it was also largely unnecessary (why not just include sights that could be filmed in real life -- if there was something hideous in the background, use CGI to edit it out, rather than editing the main attraction in), just adds insult to injury. And don't get me started on the fact that all the vertical world landmarks now have Peyronie's disease... I'm not generally a doom-and-gloomer, but every time I see Soarin' Around the World, I find myself saying, "they shut it down for months to install this!??!"

While there was CGI used in the original as well, I never found it as obvious, and it added to the immersiveness rather than detracting from it. We visited Disneyland this past summer and got to see the original again, and the whole family felt it was far superior to Soarin' Around the World.

Last edited:

HongKongFu

So maybe, this is just a case where the few disappointed folks should just move on and find something in the parks that they do enjoy, because deep down I think you know it isn't going to go back to what it used to be no matter how much you moan and groan.

Darn! I was really hoping my moaning was going to change Soarin'. This is a hard reality to take but I must remain strong. You're right---- it's time to stop wasting precious energy and move on to something else.

Goofyernmost

If people enjoyed the new ride there wouldn’t be complaints. I went on World opening week and was excited to see it. In my head it sounded conceptually like an improvement over the first one.

When I saw the film it was more like a video game / animation than what I was expecting and it greatly detracted from the experience.

A relaxing ride now has staged shots of Whales jumping, Polar Bears falling into water, and avalanches happening, and that’s only in the first 30 seconds. Now if this doesn’t bother you, more power to you. However, it did bother me and my friends.
I guess that everyone's reaction is different. You set up a standard in your head that they didn't live up to and it disappointed you. I don't set a hard and fast standard, I only go with what I enjoyed... I enjoyed both. I liked the first one better, but every person tends to stay loyal to what first won them over. However, to me the second one, was a very close second. I understood the CGI because they were in there primarily for transition and interest. We all know that an Elephant isn't going to throw dirt on us as we fly over, but it did lead us to the next location. Which was its purpose.

LittleBuford

Most likely if you were familiar with the Taj Mahal you would notice very quickly it didn't look quite right but if you had never seen it before you might never notice it at all.

Having seen the Taj Mahal in person, I find the Soarin’ version really convincing—I actually thought it was the real thing before reading otherwise. Perhaps people think it looks too perfect in CGI, but that’s also how it looks in real life.

The only CGI fail for me are the rowers in the Fiji scene.

Club Cooloholic

Having seen the Taj Mahal in person, I find the Soarin’ version really convincing—I actually thought it was the real thing before reading otherwise. Perhaps people think it looks too perfect in CGI, but that’s also how it looks in real life.

The only CGI fail for me are the rowers in the Fiji scene.
The old one, I felt for the most part like I was experiencing a hang glider ride over California, this new one, I felt like I was watching a very good 4d movie. One took me out of my moment at times and felt like I was in another place, this one, was far more passive, I felt like I was watching a movie the whole time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom