Soarin Over the World, percentage of CGI?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think it's pretty well known that the whole Taj Mahal scene is CGI and possibly others are as well. Anyone know more about which parts are CGI?

I know a lot of the animals like the elephants, killer whale, etc. either had to be CGI or added separately. The hot air balloons probably as well.

Club Cooloholic

Too much that is for sure. Did the original have any?
Edit added...good piece on it

Goofyernmost

I'm sorry, but why the hell is everyone so concerned about CGI's. There were many instances of CGI or manufactured scenes in the original as well. Things like the jets in flying in front of us, or the aforementioned golf ball. Those in the new show were there to actually separate the scenes probably because there were so many complaints about the lack of transition in the original. They are very well done in the new one like the polar bears looking up. The filming would have been done by a helicopter flying over. Don't you think that if that were the case an actual bear would have looked up to see where the noise was coming from and then immediately dive into the water for protection? If that is fake, then kudo's to the folks that did such a great job of duplicating how a bear would react.

All that said, try using you imagination instead of nit picking your way through every scene. I've never been to the Taj Mahal , but every picture I have ever seen of it looks like it did in the movie. Why are we so convinced it is a CGI and, more importantly why is it important. The whole show is us making believe we are in a hang glider for heavens sake. These things are so much more enjoyable if we stop being so "adult" and instead willingly suspend disbelief for a few moments and just enjoy what we are seeing, real or fabricated. It makes going on the ride a whole lot more fun.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sorry, but why the hell is everyone so concerned about CGI's. There were many instances of CGI or manufactured scenes in the original as well. Things like the jets in flying in front of us, or the aforementioned golf ball. Those in the new show were there to actually separate the scenes probably because there were so many complaints about the lack of transition in the original. They are very well done in the new one like the polar bears looking up. The filming would have been done by a helicopter flying over. Don't you think that if that were the case an actual bear would have looked up to see where the noise was coming from and then immediately dive into the water for protection? If that is fake, then kudo's to the folks that did such a great job of duplicating how a bear would react.

All that said, try using you imagination instead of nit picking your way through every scene. I've never been to the Taj Mahal , but every picture I have ever seen of it looks like it did in the movie. Why are we so convinced it is a CGI and, more importantly why is it important. The whole show is us making believe we are in a hang glider for heavens sake. These things are so much more enjoyable if we stop being so "adult" and instead willingly suspend disbelief for a few moments and just enjoy what we are seeing, real or fabricated. It makes going on the ride a whole lot more fun.

C2BDDEC8-3F64-43BC-B585-438481CB5E74.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think it's pretty well known that the whole Taj Mahal scene is CGI and possibly others are as well. Anyone know more about which parts are CGI?

I know a lot of the animals like the elephants, killer whale, etc. either had to be CGI or added separately. The hot air balloons probably as well.

I will never understand the inclusion of the Taj Mahal. Other scenes simply had CGI enhancements, but since they were not allowed to film the Taj Mahal at all, why not choose another site?

Prince-1

I love how angry you get.

Goofyernmost

I love how angry you get.
See, what I mean about peoples judgement.? I'm not angry at all. I have enjoyed both versions probably because I don't clutter my thoughts with useless junk. Why would it be that just because I disagree with some opinions that I am angry. I get angry about things that negatively affect my life like politics and illness. Theme parks, I enjoy and that is all the emotion I feel about it. I will, however, continue to express my opinions.

Heppenheimer

I'm pretty certain that other than some of the cloud wisps, the Matterhorn scene is not CGI. There could be a little bit CGI at work in the Neuschwanstein scene. Unless they filmed it early in the morning or late in the evening, the crowds may have been digitally removed, because this place is otherwise packed with people every day of the year.

Personally, I like Soarin' Over the World much better than Soarin' Over California, simply because I have a bit of an emotional connection to some of the locations in the former (Matterhorn, Neuschwanstein, Paris) but not the latter.

Heppenheimer

I will never understand the inclusion of the Taj Mahal. Other scenes simply had CGI enhancements, but since they were not allowed to film the Taj Mahal at all, why not choose another site?
Probably because no other monument can serve as such an instantly recognizable visual cue for India. Kind of like if you want people to know a movie is set in London, you include a brief shot of the houses of Parliament, or the Eiffel Tower for Paris.

Prince-1

See, what I mean about peoples judgement.? I'm not angry at all. I have enjoyed both versions probably because I don't clutter my thoughts with useless junk. Why would it be that just because I disagree with some opinions that I am angry. I get angry about things that negatively affect my life like politics and illness. Theme parks, I enjoy and that is all the emotion I feel about it. I will, however, continue to express my opinions.

I hate to tell ya but you come off very angry with that rant of yours.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster

I think the problem is that we're supposed to believe, like in the first one that 90% + of what we saw was actually real, but the blatantly bad Taj Mahal scene (Sorry it's VERY OBVIOUS) that it really wasn't what we thought it would be and the reason for the massive delays of getting this version was that perhaps the budget was so low that they tried to just CGI their way through it instead of filming in reality like the first one.

Yes, that makes me cynical, but I think it's disingenuous to misrepresent that it's soaring over real places if it isn't.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Probably because no other monument can serve as such an instantly recognizable visual cue for India. Kind of like if you want people to know a movie is set in London, you include a brief shot of the houses of Parliament, or the Eiffel Tower for Paris.

Why was there any special commitment to India? There are probably tons of other recognizable landmarks around the world they could have used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom